Album of the day - Skid Row (sUBHUMAN rACE)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BlueHammer85, 17 May 2019.

1. BlueHammer85

BlueHammer85

[​IMG]

Subhuman Race (stylized sUBHUMAN rACE) is the third studio album by American heavy metal band Skid Row, released on March 28, 1995, by Atlantic Records. This is the last Skid Row album with singer Sebastian Bach and drummer Rob Affuso, and the last one to be released on Atlantic. It is regarded as the band's heaviest record, and despite receiving positive reviews, Subhuman Race was not as successful as the band's first two albums. Certain tracks from the album were remixed for the band's compilation 40 Seasons: The Best of Skid Row, given more tender, slightly cleaner mixes to fit better with the other tracks. To promote Subhuman Race, Skid Row supported Van Halen in North America on their Balance tour.

Following the album, Skid Row released a live EP titled Subhuman Beings on Tour, featuring live performances from the Subhuman Race tour. It is also the band's only album to be produced by Bob Rock, also known for his work with bands like Metallica, Aerosmith, Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi and The Offspring.

Skid Row has not played any songs from Subhuman Race since the album's tour in 1995–1996,[1] though Bach has occasionally played them on his solo tours, including "Beat Yourself Blind", "Frozen", and the singles "My Enemy", "Into Another" and "Breakin' Down". "Beat Yourself Blind" is the only song from this album the band has performed live with Bach's replacement Johnny Solinger and current singer ZP Theart, while "Remains to Be Seen" has never been played live once.

1. My Enemy
    2. Firesign
    3. Bonehead
    4. Beat Yourself Blind
    5. Eileen
    6. Remains to be Seen
    7. Subhuman Race
    8. Frozen
    9. Into Another
    10. Face Against My Soul
    11. Medicine Jar
    12. Breakin' Down
    13. Iron Will
    14. Untitled

Review 203

The last of the 3 original Skid Row albums with the best line up and Sebastian Bach on vocals - some brilliant high energy guitar riffs as expected - this had its critics and i agree not as good as the previously reviewed self titled debut https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/album-of-the-day-skid-row-skid-row.316077/
    this is a bit heavier with less catchy songs, possibly with a lot of friction within the band - opener 'My Enemy' is a great rock/metal tune and rare melodic 'breakin' Down' is the other stand out , good 80's stuff.

Good luck in your final tomorrow and have a great weekend.

6.9/10

2. Banned Tosspot

Banned Tosspot

Shite!

I do like Sebastian though.

3. bluetonium

bluetonium

Remember this one well. They went a lot heavier on this and there are some good hard rock songs on there. Frozen, beat yourself blind and breakdown in particular are favourites of mine.

Was unfortunately too young to see them together back in the day, just, but have seen both Bach and Skid Row since and they're all talented musicians, not without flaws.

BlueHammer85 likes this.
  4. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

5. SuttonBlue

SuttonBlue

Team supported:
    City
    I saw them live at the Birmingham NEC in 1989.
    They were one of the support acts for Motley Crue on their Dr Feelgood tour and Bach's vocals were amazing.

6. I prefer 'Slave to the Grind'

BlueHammer85 likes this.
  7. Barcon

Barcon

Met the singer a few times and he was an arrogant cunt that nearly got his throat ripped out for lipping off at my sister.
    So all you hair band fan boys can thank me by sending pies/puds.

BlueHammer85 likes this.
  8. citizenyank76

citizenyank76

Decent band when they were touring with Pantera and actually making good hard metal. But they spent too much time on ballads, preening and arguing over hairstyles.