Album of the day - The Streets (A Grand Don't Come For Free)

BlueHammer85

51SWklZwecL._SS420_.jpg

A Grand Don't Come for Free is the second studio album from British garage and hip hop act The Streets. It was released on 17 May 2004 and is listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. It is a rap opera which follows the story of its protagonist's relationship with a girl named Simone, alongside the mysterious loss of £1000 from his home (the eponymous "grand").

1. It Was Supposed To Be So Easy
2. Could Well Be In
3. Not Addicted
4. Blinded By The Lights
5. Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way
6. Get Out Of My House
7. Fit But You Know It
8. Such A Twat
9. What Is He Thinking?
10. Dry Your Eyes
11. Empty Cans

The simplicity of the lyrics and creativity of this album is what makes it very good - Funny and moving at times this whole record tells the story of a guy down on his luck (It Was Supposed To Be So Easy), losing money, looking for a bird (Could Well Be In), betting (Not Addicted) , drinking, drugs (Blinded By The Lights) , heartache of splitting up (Dry Your Eyes) and then finding the grand he lost (Empty Cans) - we can all relate to some of this - A garage opera is a rare thing to do and its this concept which Mike Skinner deserves the credit rather than some of the actual songs which although help the plot are pretty poor. This is a slower and more emotional vibe to previous album 'Original Pirate Material' most notably there biggest ever hit 'Dry Your Eyes' - Few of these tracks haven't aged to well , 'Fit But You Know It' is pretty cringy and 'Blinded By The Lights' a good track but the shock appeal has gone - Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, for me 'A Grand Don't Come For Free' deserves a lot of praise.

*Im off on holiday, so this will be my last review for a while - Good luck Saturday Blues.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Blinded by the lights is a classic, remember my first time on pills and shoving my head inside a speaker to get closer to the bass coming off that song.

Funnily enough, I was going to say Blinded by the Lights is the only song that stands the test of time. Great album at the time though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.