Album of the week - The Police (Ghost In The Machine)

BlueHammer85

Ghost_In_The_Machine_cover.jpg

Ghost in the Machine is the fourth studio album by English rock band The Police. The album was originally released on 2 October 1981 by A&M. The songs were recorded between January and September 1981 during sessions that took place at AIR Studios in Montserrat and Le Studio in Quebec, assisted by record producer Hugh Padgham.

The album reached No. 1 on the UK Albums Chart and No. 2 on the US Billboard 200. The band released three successful singles from the album: "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic", "Invisible Sun", and "Spirits in the Material World". However, the song "Secret Journey" was released as a single in the US in place of "Invisible Sun". The album went multi-platinum in the US. It was listed at No. 323 in the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

1. Spirits In The Material World
2. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
3. Invisible Sun
4. Hungry For You
5. Demolition Man
6. Too Much Information
7. Re-Humanise Yourself
8. One World (Not Three)
9. Omegaman
10. Secret Journey
11. Darkness

Review 220

Superb album from The Police and one of their darkest - the first three tracks are unbelievably good, especially the haunting futuristic 'Invisible Sun' which is my favorite track on here - 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' is the biggest hit and a perfect Pop song - 'GITM' does change course soon after, mixture of upbeat reggae rock and new wave with additions of horns and synths - this was recorded at a precarious time for The Police with much friction in the band, power battles for songwriting and music direction was in full flow between Sting, Copeland and Summers - the added tension perhaps bought out the best in them all as this is a masterpiece.

9.0/10

Last edited:
It’s funny. I loved the Police at the time but find them a hard listen now. Definitely a band for their time but not time travelled that well.
Sting was always a bit of a cock but I did like their drummers drumming style. Very unusual. A good album but by no means a masterpiece imo.

It’s funny. I loved the Police at the time but find them a hard listen now. Definitely a band for their time but not time travelled that well.
Sting was always a bit of a cock but I did like their drummers drumming style. Very unusual. A good album but by no means a masterpiece imo.

I still enjoy most of their stuff. They were superb on their reformation tour; Stewart Copeland was the star of the show.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic happens to be one of my favourite songs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.