All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Really disappointing. Others talk about Beck not being fully-formed; this isn’t just that, it’s primordial ooze. After “Loser”, the only other one I could get into was “Beer Can”. I guess “Pay No Mind” was okay – Nirvana-y acoustic chord changes with a kind of Gen X slacker Dylan vibe. “Soul Suckin’ Jerk” is all right, but I much prefer Superchunk’s “Slack Motherfucker” for a turn on the same theme. "Blackhole" is not without its virtue for a slow one but is 2x too long. Maybe the half-assed nature of this is kind of the point – that’s the feel he was going for, and I can respect that. But there’s too much dissonance for dissonance’s sake (and I LIKE dissonance), too much down-tempo stuff. The lyrics aren’t without some wit though, and you can hear what he’ll eventually evolve into. But for half-assed shit, I’ll take The Replacements; for dissonance with a beat, I’ll take Archers of Loaf (who were his contemporaries and must have seethed at his success compared to theirs -- maybe the most underrated band of all time). Compared to those bands, he’s a dirty twerp, hat in hand, busking in the subway. 4/10 but really only because Loser is such an absolute classic. Most of the rest I can do without.
Whether I agree or not I enjoy reading your write ups as it provides me descriptions like 'Gen X slacker Dylan vibe' to ponder...........

I always quite like Loser...but after listening to this album, it now sounds crap. but it's probably the best song on the album.
I'm not even gonna have a smoke for this one....I KNOW it'll get on my nerves.
4/10

Apologies @BlueHammer85 , my own running scores will help me benchmark when scoring new albums as we go of that's alright with you?

Talking Heads
Remain in Light
2/10

Beth Orton
Central Reservation
4/10

David Crosby
If Only I Could Remember My Name
7/10

Def Leppard
Euphoria
2/10

New Score

Beck
Mellow Gold
2/10

I think people get a bit of '90's nostalgia (which I get from certain music) when listening to Loser but it's average.

There are couple of ok riffs which are subsequently undone by some shite sounding effects and distorted vocals etc (and was he singing about a toilet at some point?) - Not having that.

Again I was quite looking forward to discovering some musical gold in unchartered territory, unfortunately not for me............

Again I was quite looking forward to discovering some musical gold in unchartered territory, unfortunately not for me............
If you are not familiar with Beck’s music, I’d be willing to bet that you may discover some musical gold in there.

I’m a Beck fan - I own 6 of his albums, but more than any other of the artists I follow, he is capable of producing some right old cobblers.

With Mellow Gold, you can see hints of things that were to come. There are a few tracks whereI enjoyed the acoustic guitar/harmonica, but 60% of the albums is bollocks. He’d go on to make Odelay, which IMO is 30% bollocks and then came Mutations (1998) which was pure acoustic joy. As already noted, Sea Change (2002) was superb, some gorgeous, aching melodies.

Anybody put off by Mellow Gold (and quite frankly, I couldnt blame you), give those two albums a listen.

Mellow Gold = 6/10 (because I know what was to come later).

If you are not familiar with Beck’s music, I’d be willing to bet that you may discover some musical gold in there.

I’m a Beck fan - I own 6 of his albums, but more than any other of the artists I follow, he is capable of producing some right old cobblers.

With Mellow Gold, you can see hints of things that were to come. There are a few tracks whereI enjoyed the acoustic guitar/harmonica, but 60% of the albums is bollocks. He’d go on to make Odelay, which IMO is 30% bollocks and then came Mutations (1998) which was pure acoustic joy. As already noted, Sea Change (2002) was superb, some gorgeous, aching melodies.

Anybody put off by Mellow Gold (and quite frankly, I couldnt blame you), give those two albums a listen.

Mellow Gold = 6/10 (because I know what was to come later).
I will have a go on your recommendation...........

A disappointing album. I like "Loser" but the rest seems to be from the throw enough stuff at a wall to see if it sticks ideal. As others have said, there are better Beck albums out there.

4/10 for me.

An entire point better than Dave Crosby Bimbo?
Yup.

Crosby's effort, and I say that loosely, was a mish mash of rubbish sung by a bloke who probably had no idea what the hell was going on. Beck had the same effort but with more skill.

Similar outcomes though. Beck gets the extra point for "Loser."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.