All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. 1/10.

Just kidding. It was exactly as bad as I thought it would be, but probably a 2/10. One of those two points is for Laughing, which at least sounded vaguely like a very slow (or high) CSNY (probably because I’m pretty sure S, N and Y sang back up on it).

Look, I am no fan of hippie doobie music of any ilk, especially when no drum kit is involved, and one of the things I like about CSNY is that there was a social change element to their lyrics, and their harmonies were terrific. What I love about Mr. Y is that not only has he tackled difficult social change issues of all stripes over 50 years, but his guitar work is a wall of beautiful noise and he kicks fucking ass hook-wise. In contrast, what random busker in the Goodge Street underground station couldn’t have come up with this record just by fiddling around for a few hours? If I want music I can just ignore, I’ll put on a good Brian Eno ambient.

The other point I’m giving this record comes solely because I live five minutes from Tamalpais High. My two kids go to a different school, but we have plenty of friends there. The song itself refers to the time classes get out.

Random trivia question – who is the most famous musician to ever attend Tamalpais High? Hint: think of the most opposite possible person to David Crosby.
Struth that seems a harsh review to me :-)

I like the overall sound of it (yes it is CSN-Y light, but is that such a terrible thing?). Some of it is very soft and delicate (I suppose that's why I works very well as background music) but that's actually how I got into CSN-Y, didn't know the slightest bit about them (I would have deemed it to be far to soft and and times mellow), but my mother would generally stick them on whe we were up enjoying a few drinks.

I get your point on the 'hippie' bit as it will either draw people in or put them off from the outset but I don't mind it (not sure there is a middle ground on it).

To be fair to the lot of them, they do generally write about stuff (again people may find that decisive).

Trivia question - Donald Trump.........? ;-)

3/1000

View attachment 18449

If I Could Only Remember My Name is the debut solo album by David Crosby, released in February 1971 on Atlantic Records. A number of guest musicians appear on the record, including Graham Nash, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and members of Jefferson Airplane, Santana, and the Grateful Dead. The ensemble was given the informal moniker of The Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra. It was one of four high-profile albums released by each member of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping Déjà Vu album, along with Stephen Stills, Songs for Beginners, and After the Gold Rush. It peaked at No. 12 on the Billboard 200 and earned a RIAA gold record certification in the United States.

1. Music Is Love
2. Cowboy Movie
3. Tamalpais High (At About 3)
4. Laughing
5. What Are Their Names
6. Traction In The Rain
7. Song With No Words (Tree With No Leaves)
8. Orleans
9. I'd Swear There Was Somebody Here

Here we go, review No.3 - David Crosby is probably the least i'm familiar with out of CSNY and this is his solo effort after his departure from the band with the help of many big named West Coast musicians. every track sounds so fresh and the whole album seems to blend as one - which means there's no real stand out big hits on here and i admit at times just drifting past some songs - It's all very chilled and a perfect listen whilst smoking a doobie! it grew on me the more i listened, especially the harmonies, 'Laughing' really is a quality track and was my favourite on here followed by 'What Are Their Names' with its long intro.
If you are a fan of CSNY, then you are very likely to enjoy this

I'd also like to find the TV documentary he did 'remember my name' but can't seem to find it anywhere for free.

Anyhow, Give this a go and score out of 10 by the end of next week

This placed 156 out of the Top 1000

7/10

Have a good weekend Blues.

If it's the documentary I am thinking of @BlueHammer85 it aired on BBC a couple of months back from memory - possibly still available on iPlayer.............

I'll give it a few listens over the weekend...see what I think on Monday. All the songs sound the same on the first listen, don't they? Except for the last one.

Struth that seems a harsh review to me :-)

I like the overall sound of it (yes it is CSN-Y light, but is that such a terrible thing?). Some of it is very soft and delicate (I suppose that's why I works very well as background music) but that's actually how I got into CSN-Y, didn't know the slightest bit about them (I would have deemed it to be far to soft and and times mellow), but my mother would generally stick them on whe we were up enjoying a few drinks.

I get your point on the 'hippie' bit as it will either draw people in or put them off from the outset but I don't mind it (not sure there is a middle ground on it).

To be fair to the lot of them, they do generally write about stuff (again people may find that decisive).

Trivia question - Donald Trump.........? ;-)
You are correct — it IS harsh.

I’m not sure it’s harsh enough TBH. I mean I gave it two points, not zero :)

This is the film. Trailer looks good. Couldn’t find it on Iplayer - only place can find it is on Amazon but got to pay.

That's the one - It is a really good and interesting documentary (helps that I'm obviously interested in the subject matter and his relationship with with the other 3 guys).

I was absolutely leathered when I watched that so don't retain great detail of it - I would definitely watch it again..........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.