All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Another Beck fan here and the stand out track is obviously Loser, but it's not his best album. Like @nickmcfc1 says it's one where he's trying to find his sound. Personally, I think he smashed it on "Odelay"

"Odelay" is far better and really shows his talent off. He can move from hip hop to folk to rock and make it sound absolutely the natural thing to do. It's a superb album and far, far better than Mellow Gold. Even is newer albums are better too (for me anyway) than Mellow Gold.

His concert in Manchester a few years ago was immense as well - great character and blasted out the classics.

6/10 for me.

Another Beck fan here and the stand out track is obviously Loser, but it's not his best album. Like @nickmcfc1 says it's one where he's trying to find his sound. Personally, I think he smashed it on "Odelay"

"Odelay" is far better and really shows his talent off. He can move from hip hop to folk to rock and make it sound absolutely the natural thing to do. It's a superb album and far, far better than Mellow Gold. Even is newer albums are better too (for me anyway) than Mellow Gold.

His concert in Manchester a few years ago was immense as well - great character and blasted out the classics.

6/10 for me.
I saw him tour Odelay at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre as it was then and may still be and he was superb. Still one of my favourite gigs of all time. Very talented man imo

5 / 10.

Not my type of music, again, but some tracks I don't mind. Had a quick listen to Odelay and didn't really think much of that so probably will give him a swerve if that's the recommended one from fans. Might be I like more variety in the vocals, I find his voice too similar across all the tracks.

6/10 for me.

Good info Blue, cheers

Not my bag at all,, couldn’t even listen to some tracks ..
Loser is a tune I would happily listen to again but the rest erm, no thanks.. Haven’t even got any constructive criticism to bore you all with..So on that note it’s a big fat 3/10 from me .

Really disappointing. Others talk about Beck not being fully-formed; this isn’t just that, it’s primordial ooze. After “Loser”, the only other one I could get into was “Beer Can”. I guess “Pay No Mind” was okay – Nirvana-y acoustic chord changes with a kind of Gen X slacker Dylan vibe. “Soul Suckin’ Jerk” is all right, but I much prefer Superchunk’s “Slack Motherfucker” for a turn on the same theme. "Blackhole" is not without its virtue for a slow one but is 2x too long. Maybe the half-assed nature of this is kind of the point – that’s the feel he was going for, and I can respect that. But there’s too much dissonance for dissonance’s sake (and I LIKE dissonance), too much down-tempo stuff. The lyrics aren’t without some wit though, and you can hear what he’ll eventually evolve into. But for half-assed shit, I’ll take The Replacements; for dissonance with a beat, I’ll take Archers of Loaf (who were his contemporaries and must have seethed at his success compared to theirs -- maybe the most underrated band of all time). Compared to those outfits, he’s a dirty twerp, hat in hand, busking in the subway. 4/10 but really only because "Loser" is such an absolute classic. Most of the rest I can do without.

Note -- I'm listening to Odelay now, given that several of you mentioned you like that much better. So do I -- a far, far superior record.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.