All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Nah, what's funny is that I know / have known lots of Rush fans and they most definitely aren't wizard virgins. In fact, they are a pretty diverse bunch. What is great about Rush fans is that they have a real passion for the band and their concerts are special events.
Me too — I was kind of kidding. To me because their technical expertise is just so good, they can be enjoyed simply for that, even though under normal circumstance, I’d not like a band or music just because of that.

Nah, what's funny is that I know / have known lots of Rush fans and they most definitely aren't wizard virgins. In fact, they are a pretty diverse bunch. What is great about Rush fans is that they have a real passion for the band and their concerts are special events.
So you used to be a wizard then?

Me too — I was kind of kidding. To me because their technical expertise is just so good, they can be enjoyed simply for that, even though under normal circumstance, I’d not like a band or music just because of that.

I love a bit of technical excellence but it has to sound good to my ears, whatever that means, i.e. great technique alone is never enough.

Rush though are perhaps the tightest band I have ever seen live and I've seen an awful lot of bands. In their case, it is something to be enjoyed; with other bands a looser approach is a source of enjoyment. When you package that tight technical music with an inventive highly choreographed light show, you get something that at times is quite breathtaking.

I love a bit of technical excellence but it has to sound good to my ears, whatever that means, i.e. great technique alone is never enough.

Rush though are perhaps the tightest band I have ever seen live and I've seen an awful lot of bands. In their case, it is something to be enjoyed; with other bands a looser approach is a source of enjoyment. When you package that tight technical music with an inventive highly choreographed light show, you get something that at times is quite breathtaking.
They are an odd band in that when I was younger there was the prog fans with their Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and there was the group I was in who were into Priest Scorpions AC/DC,then onto the NWOBHM that hated prog. Except we all loved Rush and went to see Rush every time they toured. Even the Hemispheres album and tour I guess if you'd asked us then we'd have denied Rush were prog at all.

Completely agree - I can admire someone's ability, but in terms of listening I don't care how complex the musical arrangement or progression is as long as the sound output is there.............

Reactions: OB1
They are an odd band in that when I was younger there was the prog fans with their Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and there was the group I was in who were into Priest Scorpions AC/DC,then onto the NWOBHM that hated prog. Except we all loved Rush and went to see Rush every time they toured. Even the Hemispheres album and tour I guess if you'd asked us then we'd have denied Rush were prog at all.
Not sure I wholly agree with you Mr Parrot but only imho.
I was/still am a prog/rock hybrid although I find most prog nowadays just a retread.
Bands like Yes,It Bites and Frost buck the trend.
Talking of hybrids I always thought Rush bridged the gap between the two.
Peart and Lee were marginally the 2nd best rhythm in Rock (Chris Squire says hold my beer).
I loved Permanent Waves at the time. The first three tracks are superb and it paved a new path after the disappointing Hemispheres.
I loved the 2112 and Farewell to Kings phase and after Moving Pictures loved Power Windows too.
These guys stayed away from noodling and despite other posters moaning they could play because they could play.
Permanent Waves has dated but I’d still give it a solid 8/10 just for Spirit of Radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.