All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

And no problem with your post either, free of speech and opinion and all that.
However, not sure how much of their catalogue you’ve heard, but if you’ve heard the majority of it - or let’s just take the red and blue double albums as the benchmark - and you’re saying you don’t like the bulk of that, I’d say I’m sceptical and surprised, at the very least.

Their music covers so many different styles that genuinely not liking the Beatles is like saying I like one genre and nothing else ie not music lovers at all.

Every now and then I hear some numpty say they dislike them so I ask why

Err err well um I just don’t like

Okay pal whatever

Not possible. Like saying you don’t like water.
Personally I like the Beatles, I'm just bored with them. It's not their fault, and it's no comment on their quality or innovation or what they accomplished. They changed everything. They're arguably the most influential musical artist (for white people) in 100 years.

It's just the mathematics of time. They broke up when I was five. Ergo, I've had 50+ years to hear their stuff, and only 25 to hear, let's say, Foo Fighters.

Also -- again -- they broke up 50 fucking years ago. Music has changed, instruments have changed, technology has changed, style has changed. Telling someone under 40 that they "should" like the Beatles would be like my parents telling me I "should" like Tommy Dorsey, and the response should/would be the same: "Fuck off."

While Rubber Soul and Revolver get the credit for being The Beatles “transitional” records away from mushy, mop-top pop and towards more "important", innovative, experimental stuff with something to say, you can start to see those changes take form on “Help!” I actually hadn’t really ever realized that before re-listening to this now.

I’ve always liked Lennon (and Harrison’s) tunes more than McCartney’s generally, and “Ticket to Ride” and “Help!” and “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” are all indications that John is growing up, turning self-reflective and getting bored with the same old-same old bubbly shit about girls. And even the same old-same old bubbly shit about girls like “I’ve Just Seen a Face” has a bit of an edge. It's remarkable how great these songs sound after 56 years and after having heard them 100s of times.

As usual, McCartney contributes one great song (okay . . . sometimes two great songs), and then a bunch of junk – he’s always been more uneven than Lennon. In fact, he’s damn near the wimpiest rock star in history. “Yesterday” is too classic to ignore but the rest of his input here is feeder.

Unfortunately, Ringo’s and George’s contributions are near the bottom of their particular barrels, especially George, who I don’t really think found his groove until “Taxman”, one of the best Beatles songs ever. The cover at the end is a total throwaway too.

So figure side one is a solid 8, with side two a 3 raised to a 4 by “Yesterday.” That’s a 6 then. I thought that maybe it might deserve an extra point because it’s The Beatles, and because it’s transitional, but I had a stressful week, so even the Beatles can piss off. 6/10
Enjoyed your write up as usual sanfran............

Their music covers so many different styles that genuinely not liking the Beatles is like saying I like one genre and nothing else ie not music lovers at all.
I don't think that's right.

There are plenty of bands who perform different styles and some shouldn't. REM, e.g., shouldn't have done any country songs in their early days, because country songs are supposed to have words people can understand, and no one could understand Michael fucking Stipe for their first four albums. Joe Jackson shouldn't have ever done jazz or become a neo-lounge singer. I certainly wouldn't want to hear Jimmy Hendrix play the trumpet (actually maybe I would if he played the Star-Spangled Banner, and then set it on fire).

The Beatles were great. They also were so popular they could produce some ridiculously self-indulgent tripe and half-assed throwaway shit and people would buy it and say it was genius. As I noted, personally I think Paul McCartney's work is incredibly uneven, inside and outside The Beatles.

And what Beatles song on Sergeant Pepper's or later can you dance to (don't say Obla Di Obla Da)?

Or play air guitar to (other than Revolution)?

Both those things matter to me.

Anyhow, popular music fans shouldn't treat artists like infallible gods, nor assume they can't ever do wrong. History has adjudged the Beatles as critically important to music; that not everyone "likes" them today is okay. I don't really like the Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan, but I absolutely understand why they're so important, and why so many others do like them.

Last edited:
Personally I like the Beatles, I'm just bored with them. It's not their fault, and it's no comment on their quality or innovation or what they accomplished. They changed everything. They're arguably the most influential musical artist (for white people) in 100 years.

It's just the mathematics of time. They broke up when I was five. Ergo, I've had 50+ years to hear their stuff, and only 25 to hear, let's say, Foo Fighters.

Also -- again -- they broke up 50 fucking years ago. Music has changed, instruments have changed, technology has changed, style has changed. Telling someone under 40 that they "should" like the Beatles would be like my parents telling me I "should" like Tommy Dorsey, and the response should/would be the same: "Fuck off."
Your point about time span I think is valid, because I’ve overlistened to them over the years too, where I virtually never play their music anymore. But that doesn’t stop me acknowledging the power of their music. However, if your post reaches a point where you’re comparing The Beatles to, er, Tommy Dorsey, then all hope is lost.
Anyway, good call re the Foos - think I’ll go and listen to some Learning To Fly ;-)

No such thing as a weak Beatles album. You’re Gonna Lose That Girl a highlight, and Ticket To Ride is just magic. It’s still so listenable even now. I love the heartfelt ‘ahhh’ just before they sing the title line. So many special moments in their tracks.

Also to say, for me the Help film is the most enjoyable of all the movies they made. In fact thinking back now, it used to pop up on tv quite a lot, but I haven’t seen a showing for ages now - I wonder if there is some kind of a hitch or rights issue at the moment …

I rather ignored the Beatles for years and years. Several years back I bought a few of the later albums from a 2nd hand cd store cos I thought I should have them but didn't play them much. Then during the season Pep's boys pipped Liverpool for the title, my daughter and I started playing them in the car on they way to games to ward off evil Scouse spirits and I became a born again Beatles fan and over last year have bought all the original albums I didn't have plus anthologies, past masters etc.

I'd go with 7/10 for Help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.