All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

I can listen to Beethoven or Mozart but I wasn’t born in the 1800s, my lad likes the Beatles kinks Simon and Garfunkel etc. Not because of his age(born 1990) just because it’s good music.
Here's the way I look at it:

"I don't like the Beatles music." I'm fine with that.

"I don't understand why the Beatles were popular." That's going farther, and assuming one's taste is "better" or "more important" than others', which someone might be able to make a case for, but maybe not.

"I don't understand why the Beatles were important." Now THAT is an issue, because THAT means you you don't have a historical context or understanding of a/the genre, and therefore should read/listen more before you form an opinion.

Here's the way I look at it:

"I don't like the Beatles music." I'm fine with that.

"I don't understand why the Beatles were popular." That's going farther, and assuming one's taste is "better" or "more important" than others', which someone might be able to make a case for, but maybe not.

"I don't understand why the Beatles were important." Now THAT is an issue, because THAT means you you don't have a historical context or understanding of a/the genre, and therefore should read/listen more before you form an opinion.

I think not understanding why the Beatles were popular falls into the same category as not understanding why they were important.

How good you think they are or whether you like the music they made is different and more a question of taste, for which there really is no accounting.

I think not understanding why the Beatles were popular falls into the same category as not understanding why they were important.

How good you think they are or whether you like the music they made is different and more a question of taste, for which there really is no accounting.
Fair enough! In the Beatles case that's probably true.

Hey @BlueHammer85, eyeballing this, it might be a tight one between the Heads and the Beatles, eh?

Reactions: OB1
I didn’t mean styles in quite that regard, even your remark about McCartney who I also don’t particularly like kind of enforces my point. You said he was uneven which indicates he does stuff you like as well as others you don’t.

They have done the ballads, the pop, the guitar stuff, the experimental stuff etc they cover enough and do it well enough that pretty much everyone could appreciate something. Unless they are contrary or stuck in a singular music genre.
Thanks for that explanation -- I see your point now. Makes sense!

Their music covers so many different styles that genuinely not liking the Beatles is like saying I like one genre and nothing else ie not music lovers at all.

Every now and then I hear some numpty say they dislike them so I ask why

Err err well um I just don’t like

Okay pal whatever
Completely agree.
I read a description of the Revolver album.
40 minutes, 14 songs, non like any other and yet you knew it was them.
In other words, a masterpiece.

I go frequently on another forum about music generally.
There are some very serious music fans who spend thousands on equipment LoL..
Anyway their are tons of Beatles threads, far outweighing other artists.
Amazing, considering they split up 51 years ago

Last edited:
A few classics on there, good album but not their best. 6.5/10

How does everyone else rank their albums?

For me it'd probably be:

1. Revolver
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. The White Album
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. Let It Be
8. Help!
9. A Hard Day's Night
10. Please Please Me
I never really thought about this because I think all their albums are uneven. They were really a singles band even though they were so responsible for making the album a more important delivery form for music than the single! So I am sure I played the blue album more than any other because there’s no filler. Abbey Road — especially side two — has what I think are the strongest collection of songs — talk about “going out in a blaze of glory”! After that Rubber Soul has less fat, but the White Album’s best songs are better and its worst songs are worse. Then Revolver, which I think is a little overrated compared to Rubber Soul (but I can see why one would say differently) and then after that I think agree with your order — though note the original US releases I listened to weren’t exactly the same as the British ones sometimes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.