All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

COVID Homebound Blues.

Eamo’s in the bedroom, trying to take his medicine.
Feels like a mushroom, must obey the government.
Annie’s playing nursemaid, tea and toast, how’s your cough.
Side effects wearing off?
Chin up kid, it’s nothing you did.
Can’t say when, but you’ll bounce back again.
Got to send your contacts, to the HSE and in the end
You’ll be fine fine in a few days but isolate for ten.

Sorry.
I’m bored and at the same time revelling in the fact I can indulge uninterrupted in listening to my music and the various albums put forward in these threads.

So I revisited Bob and Highway 61.

This time around, apart from ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ I didn’t concentrate on reading the lyrics, I just laid back and let the feel of the album take me.
Just can’t help it with the opening track though.
The lyrics still hit me after all these years. For all the criticisms I laid at Bob’s door in my first post, I’ll just reiterate that there are certain tracks where his voice frailty or vulnerability is the perfect foil for the song both lyrically and musically.
Rolling Stone is one such song. I don’t think anyone else would improve it.

So on with the rest of the album.
Briefly, I really like Tombstone Blues. It’s light and has lovely blues guitar breaks which give the variety that’s often lacking with Dylan songs.
Ballad of a Thin Man is a lovely song too (back to that later).
Highway 61 and Desolation Row definitely worth the extra examination and overall it’s a pleasant album to listen to.
So how do I analyse how I feel when I’m immersed in the whole thing.
Well as I described, the first song is damn near perfect, it feels personal. That’s what comes across in the delivery.
I get the feeling that this whole album is personal but where I get let down, is how cryptic some of the story telling gets with all the characters introduced.

I was wondering on second listen, in Ballad of a Thin Man, what the hell is this about. Who is Mr.Jones. It occurred to me that he is talking about himself in the third person and I got the same feeling with several songs and think the theme of the album is something about the music industry perhaps and his and/or others spiritual rather than physical journey along the route. Route 61 leading to New Orleans. Metaphorically rather than physically.

Ok. So I’m over thinking it.
But therein lies a difficulty with holding my attention in many Dylan songs. Particularly the longer ones that do drone on. I would never deny that he is a great lyricist and poet. But sometimes I think he hides behind cryptic characters and as such rambles off theme and loses me.
There is an honesty in the artist that lays themselves bare. I saw an interview about Joni Mitchell in which David Crosby says he pleaded with her to hold a little back when he heard Blue first. He couldn’t get over how she exposed herself to the mercy of the world.

Dylan in my opinion is at his best when he does this, but quite often in this album I feel like what he is talking about is hidden and in that it loses its edge.

I will be giving it another airing, but for now I’ll give it a solid 7/10.

COVID Homebound Blues.

Sorry.
I’m bored and at the same time revelling in the fact I can indulge uninterrupted in listening to my music and the various albums put forward in these threads.

So I revisited Bob and Highway 61.

This time around, apart from ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ I didn’t concentrate on reading the lyrics, I just laid back and let the feel of the album take me.
Just can’t help it with the opening track though.
The lyrics still hit me after all these years. For all the criticisms I laid at Bob’s door in my first post, I’ll just reiterate that there are certain tracks where his voice frailty or vulnerability is the perfect foil for the song both lyrically and musically.
Rolling Stone is one such song. I don’t think anyone else would improve it.

So on with the rest of the album.
Briefly, I really like Tombstone Blues. It’s light and has lovely blues guitar breaks which give the variety that’s often lacking with Dylan songs.
Ballad of a Thin Man is a lovely song too (back to that later).
Highway 61 and Desolation Row definitely worth the extra examination and overall it’s a pleasant album to listen to.
So how do I analyse how I feel when I’m immersed in the whole thing.
Well as I described, the first song is damn near perfect, it feels personal. That’s what comes across in the delivery.
I get the feeling that this whole album is personal but where I get let down, is how cryptic some of the story telling gets with all the characters introduced.

I was wondering on second listen, in Ballad of a Thin Man, what the hell is this about. Who is Mr.Jones. It occurred to me that he is talking about himself in the third person and I got the same feeling with several songs and think the theme of the album is something about the music industry perhaps and his and/or others spiritual rather than physical journey along the route. Route 61 leading to New Orleans. Metaphorically rather than physically.

Ok. So I’m over thinking it.
But therein lies a difficulty with holding my attention in many Dylan songs. Particularly the longer ones that do drone on. I would never deny that he is a great lyricist and poet. But sometimes I think he hides behind cryptic characters and as such rambles off theme and loses me.
There is an honesty in the artist that lays themselves bare. I saw an interview about Joni Mitchell in which David Crosby says he pleaded with her to hold a little back when he heard Blue first. He couldn’t get over how she exposed herself to the mercy of the world.

Dylan in my opinion is at his best when he does this, but quite often in this album I feel like what he is talking about is hidden and in that it loses its edge.

I will be giving it another airing, but for now I’ll give it a solid 7/10.
Ha ha - nice reworking of Subterrenean Homesick Blues there, Eamo.

I had a read about "Ballad of a Thin Man" and it seems that it's about the press, coming and asking him pointless questions all the time.

COVID Homebound Blues.

that's a great review, how long did it take you
rest up kid, with ya covid
god knows when but you'll be back again
so make the most with your tea and toast, you couldn't swallow a lamb roast

Oh no, not another Dylan album. Never understood the love in with Mr D from a few of you but, in the spirit of this thread, and with another chance to enlighten myself, I've given this album a right good going over, with my ears. Oh yes.

Let's start with the positive.

Musically this is much more my wheelhouse as his countrymen say. I like blues, I like Americana, I even like a wee bit of country, unless it's the moaning type. I get it. You've had a shit life. You could change it yourself or write a song about it, making yourself a few quid, but not getting any happier. See also Adele. God how I despise Adele.

Anyhoo, I like the start of Ballard of a Thin Man. Slow, slow blues...I also like the start of It Takes a Lot to Laugh...

I like a lot of starts. Right up until the start of his singing. If you can call it that. More like nasal shouting but on the quiet. Just not quiet enough. I just can't get past it. It's the worse thing on this album. Or so I though.

The harmonica on Buick 6 just wipes out any enjoyment I had for the song.

A score?

Song wise this would get a 7. A solid 7.

The harmonica butchery takes it down 1 point.

So a 6.

Oh wait, his voice. That annoying nasal assault on my ears notches another 2 off the score.

4/10

Oh no, not another Dylan album. Never understood the love in with Mr D from a few of you but, in the spirit of this thread, and with another chance to enlighten myself, I've given this album a right good going over, with my ears. Oh yes.

Let's start with the positive.

Musically this is much more my wheelhouse as his countrymen say. I like blues, I like Americana, I even like a wee bit of country, unless it's the moaning type. I get it. You've had a shit life. You could change it yourself or write a song about it, making yourself a few quid, but not getting any happier. See also Adele. God how I despise Adele.

Anyhoo, I like the start of Ballard of a Thin Man. Slow, slow blues...I also like the start of It Takes a Lot to Laugh...

I like a lot of starts. Right up until the start of his singing. If you can call it that. More like nasal shouting but on the quiet. Just not quiet enough. I just can't get past it. It's the worse thing on this album. Or so I though.

The harmonica on Buick 6 just wipes out any enjoyment I had for the song.

A score?

Song wise this would get a 7. A solid 7.

The harmonica butchery takes it down 1 point.

So a 6.

Oh wait, his voice. That annoying nasal assault on my ears notches another 2 off the score.

4/10

out of interest

what do you make of ‘Like A Rolling Stone’

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.