All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Rolling Stone selected Love And Theft as the 11th best record of 2000-2020 in its Top 200 of the period. I am fairly confident had this record been performed by an artist named Bub Dillon it wouldn’t have been given consideration. But it’s not like the man hasn’t earned it, I guess, so let’s stipulate it’s definitionally overrated, and try to cut some critical distance and pretend this is a debut from a 22 year-old with an unusually gravelly voice.

These are strong, pleasant roots and jazz and jump blues songs professionally performed and crisply produced. There’s nothing new nor innovative in the music; it’s an oldies collection. In fact I wonder if that’s the point of the record title. Dylan robs all of history for his tunes, and unlike Joe Jackson’s attempt at Xeroxing historic styles, in this case Dylan’s obviously picked studio musicians who are nailing every note and beat.

And on top we layer the vocals, which, let’s face it, sound kinda hoarse and strained even for a man of Dylan’s advancing years and thin range. But I’ve never really minded that much — it’s a signature at worst, and evocative of something deeper maybe — a man with so much to say the words can’t help but escape regardless of the physical limitations of the throat.

Does he really have much to say this time around? This is far less social poetry and much more a man who has decided to focus his writing chops on how clever he can be. These are miniatures of American country life, each like a little painting, and I very much liked songs like “Floater” and “Mississippi” as each turn of phrase gets revealed. There’s a sad irony in all this — America would never be the same after this record, as it was released on September 11, 2001.

The triumph here I think is “Honest With Me” — a great song with its rolling slide guitar and freight train drums. That went right into my Spotify play list, and I promise no one could have been as surprised as me.

My objection to Dylan has so often been his music, never his talent as a poet nor his voice. Though roots rock/jazz swing isn’t necessarily top of my play list, here we have something I am confident I’ll listen to again because not only is the music crafted and executed so well, I know I’ll find a lot in the lyrics I’ll enjoy over repeated plays. Can you believe I’m going to give this an 8/10? Neither can I, so I’ll give it a 7/10 but I bet some day the future I’ll rethink this.

This is the best surprise we’ve had on the list so far.

Last edited:
Rolling Stone selected Love And Theft as the 11th best record of 2000-2020 in its Top 200 of the period. I am fairly confident had this record been performed by an artist named Bub Dillon it wouldn’t have been given consideration. But it’s not like the man hasn’t earned it, I guess, so let’s stipulate it’s definitionally overrated, and try to cut some critical distance and pretend this is a debut from a 22 year-old with an unusually gravelly voice.

These are strong, pleasant roots and jazz and jump blues songs professionally performed and crisply produced. There’s nothing new nor innovative in the music; it’s an oldies collection. In fact I wonder if that’s the point of the record title. Dylan robs all of history for his tunes, and unlike Joe Jackson’s attempt at Xeroxing historic styles, in this case Dylan’s obviously picked studio musicians who are nailing every note and beat.

And on top we layer the vocals, which, let’s face it, sound kinda hoarse and strained even for a man of Dylan’s advancing years and thin range. But I’ve never really minded that much — it’s a signature at worst, and evocative of something deeper maybe — a man with so much to say the words can’t help but escape regardless of the physical limitations of the throat.

Does he really have much to say this time around? This is far less social poetry and much more a man who has decided to focus his writing chops on how clever he can be. These are miniatures of American country life, each like a little painting, and I very much liked songs like “Floater” and “Mississippi” as each turn of phrase gets revealed. There’s a sad irony in all this — America would never be the same after this record, as it was released on September 11, 2001.

The triumph here I think is “Honest With Me” — a great song with its rolling slide guitar and freight train drums. That went right into my Spotify play list, and I promise no one could have been as surprised as me.

My objection to Dylan has so often been his music. Though roots rock/jazz swing isn’t necessarily top of my play list, here we have something I am confident I’ll listen to again because not only is the music crafted and executed so well, I know I’ll find a lot in the lyrics I’ll enjoy over repeated plays. Can you believe I’m going to give this an 8/10? Neither can I, so I’ll give it a 7/10 but I bet some day the future I’ll rethink this.

left it late but Fog never lets us down, lovely stuff, interestingly (for me) I find 'honest with me' musically similar to his classic 'highway 61' - check it out! Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (Official Audio) - YouTube

My objection to Dylan has so often been his music. Though roots rock/jazz swing isn’t necessarily top of my play list, here we have something I am confident I’ll listen to again because not only is the music crafted and executed so well, I know I’ll find a lot in the lyrics I’ll enjoy over repeated plays. Can you believe I’m going to give this an 8/10? Neither can I, so I’ll give it a 7/10 but I bet some day the future I’ll rethink this.

Nice review. Just shows that we can all get something out of these random selections and it's especially nice when it's unexpected.

I've seen the term "jump blues" a few times but have no idea what that means (well, not until I just looked it up).

Just got onboard with the vinyl deagostini Dylan offer. Only had Blood on the Tracks and oh Mercy previously so should be fun working through his entire 41 studio albums. The pressings and sound so far (up to number 4) is superb. The rest arrive in batches of two every month. By my reckoning this one should arrive around Christmas next year. I will pop back then and let you know my score ;-)

Cheers Blues! Unfortunately just the 12 votes this week - was 22 last week for Metallica, Lucky i have a solid bunch who show up for every Album and don't pick and choose!

Despite much respect for Bob I think most are sick of the sight of my love affair with Dylan and having to sit through a 60 year old rasping away was a bit too much for many, still - Me and Fog enjoyed. On we roll.

Bob Dylan /'Love & Theft'
12 votes
Average Score = 4.9

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Next up.. we head to London for some 70's Blues Rock

1634212648594.png

Last edited:
left it late but Fog never lets us down, lovely stuff, interestingly (for me) I find 'honest with me' musically similar to his classic 'highway 61' - check it out! Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (Official Audio) - YouTube
Ha thanks BH — super busy with work this week morning noon and night. Finally got a chance to listen to it whilst sitting in Newark Airport. It’s great road trip/travel music. Looking forward to playing it again. Now I have to move on to Oasis!

Cheers Blues! Unfortunately just the 12 votes this week - was 22 last week for Metallica, Lucky i have a solid bunch who show up for every Album and don't pick and choose!

Despite much respect for Bob I think most are sick of the sight of my love affair with Dylan and having to sit through a 60 year old rasping away was a bit too much for many, still - Me and Fog enjoyed. On we roll.

Bob Dylan /'Love & Theft'
12 votes
Average Score = 4.9

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Next up.. we head to London for some 70's Blues Rock

View attachment 28000
Pretty sure I’ve got this one!

“Laaaaayyyyy-la!”

Nice review. Just shows that we can all get something out of these random selections and it's especially nice when it's unexpected.

I've seen the term "jump blues" a few times but have no idea what that means (well, not until I just looked it up).
Was it you who used the term “Delta blues”? I actually think that’s a better description for this.

I’ve listened to “Honest With Me” quite a few times in a row now — really liking it.

Was it you who used the term “Delta blues”? I actually think that’s a better description for this.

I’ve listened to “Honest With Me” quite a few times in a row now — really liking it.
Not in this review but I might have bandied the term around before. I associate delta blues with the resonator guitar/dobro and I'm not sure that it applies here. It's definitely "the blues" on many of the tracks, maybe with some old-time country. @Bill Walker seems like the kind of guy who could educate us more on the difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.