All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Nice comments, sorry dont want to derail this thread :)

I think its 4 minutes 20 seconds that every music lover should listen too, pure emotion, especially through good headphones.
Found this on you tube after watching the cello thing.
It's exquisite, and in my favourite key.
Just beautiful.

21/1100

View attachment 27709

"Love And Theft" (generally referred to as Love and Theft) is the 31st studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on September 11, 2001, by Columbia Records. (In the UK its release was one day earlier, September 10, following the tradition for albums to be released on Mondays in the UK.) It featured backing by his touring band of the time, with keyboardist Augie Meyers added for the sessions. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200, and has been certified Gold by the RIAA. A limited edition release included two bonus tracks on a separate disc recorded in the early 1960s, and two years later, on September 16, 2003, this album was remixed into 5.1 surround sound and became one of fifteen Dylan titles reissued and remastered for SACD playback.

The album continued Dylan's artistic comeback following 1997's Time Out of Mind and was given an even more enthusiastic reception. The title of the album was apparently inspired by historian Eric Lott's book Love & Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class, which was published in 1993. "Love and Theft becomes his Fables of the Reconstruction, to borrow an R.E.M. album title", writes Greg Kot in the Chicago Tribune (published September 11, 2001), "the myths, mysteries and folklore of the South as a backdrop for one of the finest roots rock albums ever made".

The album won the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Folk Album at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards. It was nominated for Album of the Year and the track "Honest with Me" was nominated for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance.

1. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
2. Mississippi
3. Summer Days
4. Bye and Bye
5. Lonesome Day Blues
6. Floater (Too Much to Ask)
7. High Water (For Charley Patton)
8. Moonlight
9. Honest with Me
10. Po' Boy
11. Cry a While
12. Sugar Baby

Here we go! Review No.21 - @RobMCFC gets it with his investigation work, very tough not to give away too much from the RS Top 100 list - Anyhow, Bob is Back! with 'Love And Theft' thus being recorded in NY although good shout that the picture has a 'Modern Times' feel.
I know this Album all too well as I was obsessively going through all the Dylan catalogue around the time of this release which meant i had a bit more time this week to listen to Fogs pick although it was good to revisit this again - 'Love And Theft' is a fantastic record, much more upbeat than his previous 'Time Out Of Mind' - Here we have plenty of Blues and different Musical styles paying homage to early Americana and it's Bob sounding at ease and joyful - lyrically as always and expected superb and backed by a wonderful band.
' Mississippi' is considered a masterpiece - and whilst I slightly disagree as I find the music and tempo a bit one paced - Lyrically he is at his peak and the way he expresses every single line it keeps you really engaged, for me that is the real power of Dylan throughout his career.

Got nothing for you, I had nothing before
Don't even have anything for myself anymore
Sky full of fire, came pouring down
Nothing you can sell me, I'll see you around

All my powers of expression and thoughts so sublime
Could never do you justice in reason or rhyme
Only one thing I did wrong
Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

Well, the devil's in the alley, mule's in the stall
Say anything you wanna, I have heard it all
I was thinking about the things that Rosie said
I was dreaming I was sleeping in Rosie's bed

Walking through the leaves, falling from the trees
Feeling like a stranger nobody sees
So many things that we never will undo
I know you're sorry, I'm sorry too

Some people will offer you their hand and some won't
Last night I knew you, tonight I don't
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Well I got here following the southern star
I crossed that river just to be where you are
Only one thing I did wrong

Stayed in Mississippi a day too long

'Lonesome Day Blues' is a wonderful Blues riff track, 'High Water' my favourite on here- love the banjo intro, the drums - Vintage stuff and Dylan at his snarling best.
I preferred this to 'Time Out Of Mind' and I find it comparable to 'Modern Times' in the sense it has a upbeat blues feel - Many will find Dylan's voice a struggle and at times strained albeit he is 60 on here and no spring chicken - but it is refreshing to hear a real authentic voice and he's clearly in a good place for this recording and if Bobs happy then so am I!

This placed number 11 out of the Top 100 Rolling Stone's 00's Albums

Have a good weekend Blues and please contribute with a score out of 10

7/10

"Love And Theft" (generally referred to as Love and Theft)...........
Haha made me laugh that!
I remember buying this on CD when it came out, it didnt do much for me, kinda run of the mill Dylan, Uncle Bob going through the motions.
I like Mississippi, although it sounds muddy to me, all except Bobs vocals. Compare the snare to The Replacements album made years earlier which sounds crisp, maybe Bob didnt want band members cutting through more than his voice.
I dont dislike his voice here, its got character, he never was a great singer imo, his voice an acquired taste so to speak.
Lonesome Day blues is my favourite track here, Im a Blues fan, I really get into that particular one. Hell me and my wife danced to it once when drunk I remember.

Not that much to say really, run of the mill, nothing outstanding, 5/10 from me.

It’s an admittedly small number of 10/10s I would give. Of what I’ve heard it’s maybe 15-20-25 records. This one is probably 9.5 but I will round up if we ever get to it. Sometime around 2032 I reckon.
lol

I am extremely interested in what and how you define the perfect record.

Thanks to you a few more and hence a few more after that will appreciate just how good a song writer Paul Westerberg is.

Music is for sharing especially good music.

I would never have thought this band and this particular album would be your first choice.

IMO one of the best bands to come out of the 80's in the US.

Personally song for song Tim is my favourite but I will be onto Sorry Ma ..... again to relive some old memories thanks to you,

BTW Have you ever heard their version of Look of Love , its a diamond.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.