All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

23/1100

View attachment 28454

Stop Making Sense is a live album by Talking Heads, the soundtrack to the film of the same name. It was released in September 1984 and features nine tracks from the movie, albeit with treatment and editing. The album spent over two years on the Billboard 200 chart. It was their first album to be distributed by EMI outside North America.

Limited pressings of the original LP version featured a full-colour picture book wrapped around the album jacket; regular versions had many of the pictures (printed in black and white) and captions on the album's inner sleeve. The CD release of the album includes the full-colour book, though rearranges the layout to conform to the dimensions of a square CD booklet (compared to the vertically-oriented rectangular shape of the LP book). In 1999, a 16-track re-release—with content and sound closely matching those of the movie—coincided with the 15th anniversary of the concert filming.

1. Physcho Killer
2. Heaven
3. Thank You For Sending Me an Angel
4. Found A Job
5. Slippery People
6. Burning Down The House
7. Life During Wartime
8. Making Flippy Floppy
9. Swamp
10. What A Day That Was
11. This Must Be The Place
12. Once In A Lifetime
13. Genius Of Love
14. Girlfriend Is Better
15. Take Me To The River
16. Crosseyed and Painless

Here we go! Review No.23 - Long time leaders Talking Heads are back.. and it's live! Wasn't sure how many live albums are in the mix so had to make the clue tough - but the picture is the Hollywood Pantages Theatre where this iconic performance was filmed. I never got around to watching this when I reviewed 'Remain In Light' so I'm glad to have given this a watch and listen all week - It's hard to just focus on the Album because really this concert needs to be seen, it is a amazing watch, visually, the lighting, the energy from David Byrne and of course the massive suit jacket! It is like watching a real musical theatre - from starting off with 'Pyscho Killer' with just Byrne and a beatbox and then gradually more and more performers and musicians join him on stage including Tina Weymouth on base and some cracking background singers, so I definitely recommend grabbing a beer and watching this concert first before listening.
- All the tracks sound as good as the studio versions but there is added energy here and a constant rhythm all the way through - No let up from David Byrne as he performs at such a high level, a true star.
really enjoyed live version of 'What A Day That Was' , stripped back opener 'Pyscho Killer' is just great and also 'Burning Down The House' -hard to find any fault here.

This placed number 394 out of the Top 1000

8/10

Ok — so — the original that shows up on Colin’s list has just the 8-9 songs and not the best ones from the movie; the re-release — which is effectively the entire film — is the one with the track listing above.

In fact we have probably hit on the greatest re-release improvement in rock music history here. Hopefully everyone knows to listen to re-release and not the original since it’s so much better, even though the original is what’s on the Larkin top 1000 list.

I won’t even need to listen :)

Right, listened to it straight away to get it out of the way. I said after Remain in Light that I wouldn't be bothered if I never heard another Talking Heads album and listening to this has only backed up that hunch.

I'll start with some positives - even though this is a live album, the sound is light years ahead of Remain in Light. You can actually feel the spaces in between the instruments, you can hear the guitar strummed and the individual thump of the drums. "Pyscho Killer" is a great start, a good live version of a studio track that I enjoy. In fact the first few songs looked set to prove me wrong, but I didn't have to wait long to be disappointed all over again.

To borrow a line from Foggy's review of Joe Jackson (because it was so damn funny) and adapt it slightly, even though this is a live album, about 3 or 4 tracks in, somebody decided to push the fader marked "quirky keyboards" up to 85. As if that wasn't enough, a giggling schoolboy managed to sneak through the door during the post-production and added a load of weird random beeps and noises (oh, this is so funny, I feel like my sides are about to split). It makes you want to scream FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST PLAY THE DAMN MUSIC!!!!

And did I mention that David Byrne is another "singer" (and I use that in the loosest possible sense) who you can add to the list of annoying vocalists? No? Well he's not the worst but he ain't great either.

6/10 (and only because I made the mistake of giving Remain in Light the same score when it probably should have been 4).

I'm off to listen to some Aimee Mann to restore my faith in music.

The 16 song version is the best live album ever made period, not one dud all great songs, original and unique(with the exception of take me to the river if memory serves me correctly)

Probably the only album I would give a 10/10 for.

Genius.

Edit I would give substance 1987 a 10 if compilations were allowed. The songs on both were reworked i believe and sent them from good/very good to perfection.

Last edited:
Ok — so — the original that shows up on Colin’s list has just the 8-9 songs and not the best ones from the movie; the re-release — which is effectively the entire film — is the one with the track listing above.

In fact we have probably hit on the greatest re-release improvement in rock music history here. Hopefully everyone knows to listen to re-release and not the original since it’s so much better, even though the original is what’s on the Larkin top 1000 list.

I won’t even need to listen :)

Right, listened to it straight away to get it out of the way. I said after Remain in Light that I wouldn't be bothered if I never heard another Talking Heads album and listening to this has only backed up that hunch.

I'll start with some positives - even though this is a live album, the sound is light years ahead of Remain in Light. You can actually feel the spaces in between the instruments, you can hear the guitar strummed and the individual thump of the drums. "Pyscho Killer" is a great start, a good live version of a studio track that I enjoy. In fact the first few songs looked set to prove me wrong, but I didn't have to wait long to be disappointed all over again.

To borrow a line from Foggy's review of Joe Jackson (because it was so damn funny) and adapt it slightly, even though this is a live album, about 3 or 4 tracks in, somebody decided to push the fader marked "quirky keyboards" up to 85. As if that wasn't enough, a giggling schoolboy managed to sneak through the door during the post-production and added a load of weird random beeps and noises (oh, this is so funny, I feel like my sides are about to split). It makes you want to scream FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST PLAY THE DAMN MUSIC!!!!

And did I mention that David Byrne is another "singer" (and I use that in the loosest possible sense) who you can add to the list of annoying vocalists? No? Well he's not the worst but he ain't great either.

6/10 (and only because I made the mistake of giving Remain in Light the same score when it probably should have been 4).

I'm off to listen to some Aimee Mann to restore my faith in music.
Can hardly wait........... :-)

The 16 song version is the best live album ever made period, not one dud all great songs, original and unique(with the exception of take me to the river if memory serves me correctly)

Probably the only album I would give a 10/10 for.

Genius.

Edit I would give substance 1987 a 10 if compilations were allowed. The songs on both were reworked i believe and sent them from good/very good to perfection.
Bold statement indeed............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.