All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Although I have a couple of TH's albums (Remain in Light and 77), I've never heard this live album. I've seen some footage of it, but never listened to it fully. I could never be arsed. So this is my first listen...even though I know most of the songs, it'll be good to hear these versions.
I like it. From start to finish. The acoustic version of Psycho Killer and Heaven were...heavenly killers!
Love the Tom Tom Club tune too. I prefer the studio version of Once in a Lifetime, but it's still a decent rendition.
Highlight for me is This Must Be the Place..great, mellow tune with a cool melody. I wish I'd listened to this earlier now...fantastic live album 7/10
Agree about Naive Melody (this must be the place.)

Had a few listens to this, it could be said that I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan, Mr Byrne's style of throwing anything into the mix to see what sticks grates with me a little bit but I've persevered...

Aaah Mr Byrne. Your singing ruins Psycho Killer. Completely. Stops my enjoyment of it dead in it's tracks. And then you suddenly realise that your strengths lie in actually being a front man and not a world class singer and the album is all the better for this revelation.

Swamp is the best song on here. Always liked that song. Top marks to Slippery People as well. In fact, all of the hits are very well done apart from his stupid singing on PK. Love the start to Life During Wartime.

Overall? It's not going to convert me though I know and enjoy more Talking Heads songs than I thought.

Very hard to score. Do I mark the score down for the abomination that is Psycho Killer? Does it get raised again for the Tom Tom Club side project been given a chance to shine? Does it dramatically fall on it's arse due to the last three songs being dire? Does the version of Swamp pull it up by it's boot laces?

5/10

There. I said it. It's a live album that musically hits a lot of the right notes let down by a lot of fillers that are just dull.

Had a few listens to this, it could be said that I'm not a huge Talking Heads fan, Mr Byrne's style of throwing anything into the mix to see what sticks grates with me a little bit but I've persevered...

Aaah Mr Byrne. Your singing ruins Psycho Killer. Completely. Stops my enjoyment of it dead in it's tracks. And then you suddenly realise that your strengths lie in actually being a front man and not a world class singer and the album is all the better for this revelation.

Swamp is the best song on here. Always liked that song. Top marks to Slippery People as well. In fact, all of the hits are very well done apart from his stupid singing on PK. Love the start to Life During Wartime.

Overall? It's not going to convert me though I know and enjoy more Talking Heads songs than I thought.

Very hard to score. Do I mark the score down for the abomination that is Psycho Killer? Does it get raised again for the Tom Tom Club side project been given a chance to shine? Does it dramatically fall on it's arse due to the last three songs being dire? Does the version of Swamp pull it up by it's boot laces?

5/10

There. I said it. It's a live album that musically hits a lot of the right notes let down by a lot of fillers that are just dull.
Have we found what you do like yet @BimboBob ? ;-)

Fair review..........

I'm a big Talking Heads fan so it goes without saying that i luv this album.
I have it on vinyl and CD and on VHS tape and Bluray. Me and my mates had a good time playing the video after the pub and would replicate the dance moves, like this....

It has all the hits, up to that time and they are well performed, i would give it 8.5/10 only because i prefer some of the studio versions

I am enjoying these reviews, and I have come to the conclusion that the two camps here are those who are pro-music to dance/move to, and pro-music to sit down and really listen to. While we probably all like something of both, I get the sense that what we love is either one or the other. I’m generalizing and hyperbole-creating for effect, but it’s interesting.

I’m gonna claim a foot in either camp, loving Lamb Lies Down, The Wall, Going For the One albums, but also loving UFO’s Strangers In The Night, and If You Want Blood, and good half of Molly Hatchet’s output! ;-)

I’m gonna claim a foot in either camp, loving Lamb Lies Down, The Wall, Going For the One albums, but also loving UFO’s Strangers In The Night, and If You Want Blood, and good half of Molly Hatchet’s output! ;-)
Flirtin’ With Disaster is one of my favo(u)rite songs and my wife cannot understand this.

I think I come down in the “move” camp given my list of top records (and my disdain for Radiohead). There are some “sit” records in my top picks too, but more “move” records by probably a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio.

Flirtin’ With Disaster is one of my favo(u)rite songs and my wife cannot understand this.

I think I come down in the “move” camp given my list of top records (and my disdain for Radiohead). There are some “sit” records in my top picks too, but more “move” records by probably a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio.
It’s probably considered heresy to say it but I actually haven’t heard any Lynyrd S album as consistently good as Hatchet’s live Double Trouble album from 84/5 - honestly pal if you’ve not heard it, it’s a stone cold classic; all killer no filler, and every version on there is better than their studio version!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.