All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Page playing some skiffle is one thing but Zep’s roots are the Blues.
agreed. Interesting that from blues origins...Zep moved towards an unholy alliance of Heavy Rock and Folk! The Stones strayed more towards Rock and Roll and C&W. Zep stepped into C&W with 'Hot Dog' but that was pastiche I think!

22/1100

1634291562574.png

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is the sole studio album by the English–American blues rock band Derek and the Dominos, released in November 1970 as a double album. It is best known for its title track, "Layla", and is often regarded as Eric Clapton's greatest musical achievement. The other band members were Bobby Whitlock on keyboards and vocals, Jim Gordon on drums, Carl Radle on bass. Duane Allman played lead and slide guitar on 11 of the 14 songs.

Initially regarded as a critical and commercial disappointment, it failed to chart in Britain and peaked at number 16 on the Billboard Top LPs chart in the United States. It returned to the US albums chart again in 1972, 1974 and 1977, and has since been certified Gold by the RIAA. The album finally debuted on the UK Albums Chart in 2011, peaking at number 68.

1. I Looked Away
2. Bell Bottom Blues
3. Keep On Growing
4. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
5. I Am Yours
6. Anyday
7. Key To The Highway
8. Tell The Truth
9. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?
10. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
11. Little Wing
12. It's Too Late
13. Layla
14. Thorn Tree In The Garden

Here we go! Review No.22 - Indeed it's Derek and the Dominos, damn you @FogBlueInSanFran and the other Hercule Poirot's on here who noticed what was on the table.
A band I was unfamiliar with until I noticed 'Layla' as a track and then read it was Eric Clapton's band who only ever had this Album, in fact it's more of a 'supergroup' - Duane Allman, keyboardist and singer Bobby Whitlock the unsung hero, Jim Gordon drums and Carl Radle producing.
Eric Clapton is at his finest and his (a bit creepy) love obsession for his friends George Harrisons Mrs Pattie Boyd really pays off as he makes so many amazing tracks about her including the classic Layla, here in all its glory, possibly the most famous riff in Music history - The song is a masterpiece.
I wrongly assumed this would be somewhat of a one hit wonder - It's not. ' Bell Bottom Blues' is a song I have played over and over all week, classic Clapton - making a love song into Blues/Rock with perfection.
'Have You Ever Loved a Woman' is one of the best guitar work I've ever heard including a solo that's just on a different level and same for 'Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out'
There's a few tracks that drag on a bit and it took me a few listens to find the stand outs - but if Blues/Rock is your genre, then I don't see how this can be bettered - hard to say just how much I enjoyed this ,it blew me away completely. Laaaayla!

This placed number 287 out of the Top 1000

Have a good weekend Blues and please contribute with a score out of 10

9/10

Last edited:
22/1100

View attachment 28022

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is the sole studio album by the English–American blues rock band Derek and the Dominos, released in November 1970 as a double album. It is best known for its title track, "Layla", and is often regarded as Eric Clapton's greatest musical achievement. The other band members were Bobby Whitlock on keyboards and vocals, Jim Gordon on drums, Carl Radle on bass. Duane Allman played lead and slide guitar on 11 of the 14 songs.

Initially regarded as a critical and commercial disappointment, it failed to chart in Britain and peaked at number 16 on the Billboard Top LPs chart in the United States. It returned to the US albums chart again in 1972, 1974 and 1977, and has since been certified Gold by the RIAA. The album finally debuted on the UK Albums Chart in 2011, peaking at number 68.

1. I Looked Away
2. Bell Bottom Blues
3. Keep On Growing
5. I Am Yours
6. Anyday
7. Key To The Highway
8. Tell The Truth
11. Little Wing
12. It's Too Late
13. Layla

Here we go! Review No.22 - Indeed it's Derek and the Dominos, dam you @FogBlueInSanFran and the other Hercule Poirot's on here who noticed what was on the table.
A band I was unfamiliar with until I noticed 'Layla' as a track and then read it was Eric Clapton's band who only ever had this Album, in fact it's more of a 'supergroup' - Duane Allman, keyboardist and singer Bobby Whitlock the unsung hero, Jim Gordon drums and Carl Radle producing.
Eric Clapton is at his finest and his (a bit creepy) love obsession for his friends George Harrisons Mrs Pattie Boyd really pays off as he makes so many amazing tracks about her including the classic Layla, here in all its glory, possibly the most famous riff in Music history - The song is a masterpiece.
I wrongly assumed this would be somewhat of a one hit wonder - It's not. ' Bell Bottom Blues' is a song I have played over and over all week, classic Clapton - making a love song into Blues/Rock with perfection.
'Have You Ever Loved a Woman' is one of the best guitar work I've ever heard including a solo that's just on a different level and same for 'Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out'
There's a few tracks that drag on a bit and it took me a few listens to find the stand outs - but if Blues/Rock is your genre, then I don't see how this can be bettered - hard to say just how much I enjoyed this ,it blew me away completely. Laaaayla!

9/10

Looking forward to it..........

22/1100

View attachment 28022

1. I Looked Away
2. Bell Bottom Blues
3. Keep On Growing
5. I Am Yours
6. Anyday
7. Key To The Highway
8. Tell The Truth
11. Little Wing
12. It's Too Late
13. Layla

Here we go! Review No.22 - Indeed it's Derek and the Dominos, dam you @FogBlueInSanFran and the other Hercule Poirot's on here who noticed what was on the table.

9/10

“Damn You Hercule Poirots” is a great name for a band I’ve decided :)

Me too.

Paul McCartney agrees — called them a “blues cover band” in an interview a few days ago while promoting his new book. Bit unfair that, but there’s a grain of truth in it too.
Very unfair Fog , Paul is getting kranky in his old age , Lennon hated divorce (LOL).

Well I knew the clue would be another BH piss take. The album was recorded in America with American musicians (Clapton aside) and producer. I'll concede the Blues Rock bit and I did think it might be a Clapton album.

Anyhow at least it is a proper classic album with a title track that is a quite simply as good as it gets and vies with a small batch of songs to be my all-time favourite. The interplay between EC and the late great Duane Allman is marvelous. I've had a vinyl single version of Layla since the 70's. I only bought the album much later - on cd - so will dig it out for another listen before commenting on the other assorted love songs.

The album was recorded in America with American musicians (Clapton aside) and producer. I'll concede the Blues Rock bit and I did think it might be a Clapton album.

Indeed it was, but the band was formed in London and they debuted live in London.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.