All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Fair comments. I do like them a helluva lot more than that, but you are right, they were a band is was very ‘cool’ to like and tell people you liked, and to write articles about. The ‘cognoscenti’ for want of a better word, or intellectual/alternative music journalists used to, and probably still do, cream over this band. (Rolling Stone, Q, NME etc etc). Not so much in Kerrang though ;-) I’ll bet they are a regular staple on 6Music too.
Cheers. Funnily enough, whilst listening to the album it brought to mind the film Citizen Kane. When I watched it I thought i really liked it but later on it felt as though I more liked the idea of liking the film, than I actually liked the film itself.For the sort of reasons you mention above. With Talking Heads,I’ve seemingly skipped the part of liking them. Maybe they are a marmite band - if you like them, you love them, if you don’t like them, then you spend the rest of the day trying to get the taste out of your mouth (‘when you told me this was foodstuff, I assumed you meant it was actually edible?!?!’). Maybe not such a bad trait for a band to have - or even a good one at times - but yeah, no thanks, for me :)

23/1100

View attachment 28454

Stop Making Sense is a live album by Talking Heads, the soundtrack to the film of the same name. It was released in September 1984 and features nine tracks from the movie, albeit with treatment and editing. The album spent over two years on the Billboard 200 chart. It was their first album to be distributed by EMI outside North America.

Limited pressings of the original LP version featured a full-colour picture book wrapped around the album jacket; regular versions had many of the pictures (printed in black and white) and captions on the album's inner sleeve. The CD release of the album includes the full-colour book, though rearranges the layout to conform to the dimensions of a square CD booklet (compared to the vertically-oriented rectangular shape of the LP book). In 1999, a 16-track re-release—with content and sound closely matching those of the movie—coincided with the 15th anniversary of the concert filming.

1. Physcho Killer
2. Heaven
3. Thank You For Sending Me an Angel
4. Found A Job
5. Slippery People
6. Burning Down The House
7. Life During Wartime
8. Making Flippy Floppy
9. Swamp
10. What A Day That Was
11. This Must Be The Place
12. Once In A Lifetime
13. Genius Of Love
14. Girlfriend Is Better
15. Take Me To The River
16. Crosseyed and Painless

Here we go! Review No.23 - Long time leaders Talking Heads are back.. and it's live! Wasn't sure how many live albums are in the mix so had to make the clue tough - but the picture is the Hollywood Pantages Theatre where this iconic performance was filmed. I never got around to watching this when I reviewed 'Remain In Light' so I'm glad to have given this a watch and listen all week - It's hard to just focus on the Album because really this concert needs to be seen, it is a amazing watch, visually, the lighting, the energy from David Byrne and of course the massive suit jacket! It is like watching a real musical theatre - from starting off with 'Pyscho Killer' with just Byrne and a beatbox and then gradually more and more performers and musicians join him on stage including Tina Weymouth on base and some cracking background singers, so I definitely recommend grabbing a beer and watching this concert first before listening.
- All the tracks sound as good as the studio versions but there is added energy here and a constant rhythm all the way through - No let up from David Byrne as he performs at such a high level, a true star.
really enjoyed live version of 'What A Day That Was' , stripped back opener 'Pyscho Killer' is just great and also 'Burning Down The House' -hard to find any fault here.

This placed number 394 out of the Top 1000

8/10

Don't know if you're aware that The Specials have recently released a new album called 'Protest Songs' 1924 - 2012.(well worth a listen)
And on that album they've brought in a brilliant young singer called Hannah Hu to do a cover of' Listening Wind', the live version is fantastic, I don't know why they didn't do the live version on the album.

I had a listen to this in work today and my Spotify had the album as a "live" album. Personally, unless I was there, I'm not a great fan of live albums. I did listen to a few songs then checked the ones I knew and thought it would be unfair to rate the album on the basis of a recording I know I wouldn't like.

So, I switched to the Spotify playlist which had the studio versions of the songs. I'd not listened to this album before and I was surprised just how many TH songs I knew. I love "Genius Of Love" and ended up listening to Tom Tom Club after - a new band I'd not come across before, another great find from this thread so thanks again all!

The standout track for me is the timeless Once In A Lifetime. It's one of my all time favourite songs.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good intro to TH and I really enjoyed listening to it. I'll definitely come back to this album again in future.

8/10

I had a listen to this in work today and my Spotify had the album as a "live" album. Personally, unless I was there, I'm not a great fan of live albums. I did listen to a few songs then checked the ones I knew and thought it would be unfair to rate the album on the basis of a recording I know I wouldn't like.

So, I switched to the Spotify playlist which had the studio versions of the songs. I'd not listened to this album before and I was surprised just how many TH songs I knew. I love "Genius Of Love" and ended up listening to Tom Tom Club after - a new band I'd not come across before, another great find from this thread so thanks again all!

The standout track for me is the timeless Once In A Lifetime. It's one of my all time favourite songs.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good intro to TH and I really enjoyed listening to it. I'll definitely come back to this album again in future.

8/10

really worth trying to watch a bit of the performance if you get the time.

8/10
We are reviewing the live album though...

We are reviewing the live album though...
If the rules are that we have to review the live one, then it's a 4/10. None of the live recordings were as good as the studio ones. You can't compare (say) Once In A Lifetime live to the studio one. As I wasn't there, I've not got any memories that would boost it...

It’s probably considered heresy to say it but I actually haven’t heard any Lynyrd S album as consistently good as Hatchet’s live Double Trouble album from 84/5 - honestly pal if you’ve not heard it, it’s a stone cold classic; all killer no filler, and every version on there is better than their studio version!

I really like Molly H. Their debut was an absolute killer. Double Trouble is great far preferable to SMS but not quite at One More From the Road level for me, which I think remains the pinnacle of Southern Rock.

The 16 song version is the best live album ever made period, not one dud all great songs, original and unique(with the exception of take me to the river if memory serves me correctly)

Probably the only album I would give a 10/10 for.

Genius.

Edit I would give substance 1987 a 10 if compilations were allowed. The songs on both were reworked i believe and sent them from good/very good to perfection.
Except the fact that imo honest opinion it isnt really "live" Ive watched the BluRay of this album and although I know were not reviewing the the film here, the two are intertwined.
Dare I say that it's almost too good. How can David Byrne do a 5 minutes jog around the stage and then continue to sing without sounding out of breath? Was he just in great shape? Likewise the bass and one of the guitars: is it easy to play while running in place like that?
While watching the current DVD release, I was watching / listening to "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)", and he's still monkeying with the mike stand when (audio) his vocal comes back on full volume even though (video) the mike is away from his mouth at that time.
The part where the band does Tom Tom Club Genius of Love, track 13...mid way through the track;
@ 1hr 27 min and 42 seconds - Tina Weymouth (bass player) appears to me NOT playing the bass track anymore. Up to that point it was very much her but after her dancing around the stage a bit, clearly to me thats not her playing bass, it does not sync whats so ever.
Actually, it was filmed over three nights. I believe it went like this: they chose one audio performance for each song but the first night they filmed straight ahead, the second night they filmed from the left, the third from the right. Or similar. So there are a lot of parts out of sync. There WERE overdubs, and maybe even an above average number compared to most live LPs.

However I really like the album, its a very nice listen and some nice quirky and catchy songs.
I dont consider David in any way a great singer, in fact this album loses points because his voice gets monotone and slightly boring. Yes there's quite a few fillers. But some great Toones also !
I never got really into TH as much as The Police in the New Wave genre but I did enjoy their singles.
Its not a classic imo but I do like it. And I enjoyed listening again AND watching the film. In defense of TH I dont know of any unedited or re-recorded parts on "Live" albums, unless they are Bootlegs or old Jazz recordings. (of which there are hundreds) My favourite Live albums are, Yessongs and Weather Reports, Live In Tokyo... they were also edited.

Im giving it 6/10

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.