All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

They are an odd band in that when I was younger there was the prog fans with their Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and there was the group I was in who were into Priest Scorpions AC/DC,then onto the NWOBHM that hated prog. Except we all loved Rush and went to see Rush every time they toured. Even the Hemispheres album and tour I guess if you'd asked us then we'd have denied Rush were prog at all.
“The NWOBHM that hated prog”?
Gotta be honest, I don’t recall it like that, and at the time remember seeing plenty of denim jackets with patches sewn on the back with everyone from Rush to Genesis to Judas Priest to Maiden to Saxon etc all alongside each other.

Not sure I wholly agree with you Mr Parrot but only imho.
I was/still am a prog/rock hybrid although I find most prog nowadays just a retread.
Bands like Yes,It Bites and Frost buck the trend.
Talking of hybrids I always thought Rush bridged the gap between the two.
Peart and Lee were marginally the 2nd best rhythm in Rock (Chris Squire says hold my beer).
I loved Permanent Waves at the time. The first three tracks are superb and it paved a new path after the disappointing Hemispheres.
I loved the 2112 and Farewell to Kings phase and after Moving Pictures loved Power Windows too.
These guys stayed away from noodling and despite other posters moaning they could play because they could play.
Permanent Waves has dated but I’d still give it a solid 8/10 just for Spirit of Radio.
It's funny,2 years ago I'd have said I have enough music in my collection I'd lost touch with new music probably since the early 90s. From the first lockdown maybe with the demise of Rush, I decided if I like Rush maybe I should revisit some older stuff anyway my daughter put me onto her apple music account meaning I could listen to loads of stuff without paying for it. Long story short. In the last 2 years discovered some Yes some Genesis quite a bit of Tull and Kansas I like. Also like a lot of newer stuff like Frost Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Threshold Transatlatic. So almost like being 18 again discovering new. to me music.
Still can't getr Pink Floyd, King Crimson though.

Gotta be honest, I don’t recall it like that, and at the time remember seeing plenty of denim jackets with patches sewn on the back with everyone from Rush to Genesis to Judas Priest to Maiden to Saxon etc all alongside each other.
Yes, hated is the wrong word maybe, just think bands like Yes with their 20 30 min songs and solos were looked at as old. Though I think by 1980 Genesis had pretty much moved away from th e early 70s prog thing. I don't think any other band crossed over like Rush did.

@Onholiday(somemightsay)

Fair appraisal and nicely in the spirit of the thread. I only hope I can be as objective if/when The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Radiohead, Coldplay or any rap album turns up!

I also second your call for 2 albums a week - we might be able to do the whole thing in a decade then.
To be fair Rob, I think that's what makes the thread.

Just call the music as you see it (regardless of the stature of the band - yes Beatles and Talking Heads I'm looking at you).

None of the acts detailed in your post are above criticism by any means..........

Not sure I wholly agree with you Mr Parrot but only imho.
I was/still am a prog/rock hybrid although I find most prog nowadays just a retread.
Bands like Yes,It Bites and Frost buck the trend.
Talking of hybrids I always thought Rush bridged the gap between the two.
Peart and Lee were marginally the 2nd best rhythm in Rock (Chris Squire says hold my beer).
I loved Permanent Waves at the time. The first three tracks are superb and it paved a new path after the disappointing Hemispheres.
I loved the 2112 and Farewell to Kings phase and after Moving Pictures loved Power Windows too.
These guys stayed away from noodling and despite other posters moaning they could play because they could play.
Permanent Waves has dated but I’d still give it a solid 8/10 just for Spirit of Radio.

I am a Classic Rock guy so I like prog, old school metal, glam, rock... but I have never considered Rush a prog band.

It's funny,2 years ago I'd have said I have enough music in my collection I'd lost touch with new music probably since the early 90s. From the first lockdown maybe with the demise of Rush, I decided if I like Rush maybe I should revisit some older stuff anyway my daughter put me onto her apple music account meaning I could listen to loads of stuff without paying for it. Long story short. In the last 2 years discovered some Yes some Genesis quite a bit of Tull and Kansas I like. Also like a lot of newer stuff like Frost Dream Theater, Spocks Beard, Threshold Transatlatic. So almost like being 18 again discovering new. to me music.
Still can't getr Pink Floyd, King Crimson though.
That’s a great story Mr BP.
Like you I can’t do Floyd and KC.
I am a Yes fanatic and like Frost,DT Genesis and Kansas too.
Frost got new album out and Yes to follow in October Good Taste imho.

I lived through that era, plenty of people liked a mix of "rock" bands. I'm pretty sure that I actually saw all the bands you mention in the same 12 month period (or thereabouts).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.