All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Saw Bryan Adams three times on the Into The Fire tour and he and his band were absolutely superb.

That album featured brilliant introspective songs with very well thought out lyrics. It felt like that could be a real turning point in his career. Unfortunately, it was, and most of what came afterwards was bollocks. But Cuts Like A Knife, Reckless and Into The Fire are all superb albums.

Yeah I gave up on Adams years ago but not before seeing him in concert a few times and he never disappointed.

First time I saw him must have been the Reckless tour at the Hammersmith Odeon and it was one of those gigs were you just knew he would be moving up to arenas for his next tour. Reckless is one of the most perfectly realised albums ever.

Saw Bryan Adams three times on the Into The Fire tour and he and his band were absolutely superb.

That album featured brilliant introspective songs with very well thought out lyrics. It felt like that could be a real turning point in his career. Unfortunately, it was, and most of what came afterwards was bollocks. But Cuts Like A Knife, Reckless and Into The Fire are all superb albums.
I made fun of him . . . but I saw him once live too and I owned and very much liked “Cuts Like A Knife.” Listened to it several months ago for the first time in decades and was bit embarrassed by my old self. His lyrics were pretty bland and his tunes not exactly innovative. Not really bubble-gum rock — kind of stale-old-gum-but-something-to-chew-on rock. Granted I haven’t listened to any of his other records in their entirety.

12/1000

1628240718922.png

Songs of Love and Hate is the third studio album by Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen. Produced by Bob Johnston, the album was released on March 19, 1971, through Columbia Records.

Cohen reunited with producer Bob Johnston, who was at the helm for the singer's previous album Songs From a Room, and also brought back guitarist Ron Cornelius, who acted as leader of Cohen's new crew of backing musicians, christened The Army. The album was mainly recorded in Columbia Studio A in Nashville, between September 22 and 26, 1970.

1. Avalanche
2. Last Year's Man
3. Dress Rehearsal Rag
4. Diamonds In The Mine
5. Love Calls You By Your Name
6. Famous Blue Raincoat
7. Sing Another Song, Boys (Live at the Isle Of Wight Festival, August 31,1970)
8. Joan Of Arc

Here we go! Review No.12 - Hallelujah! It's the legend that is Leonard Cohen and i really don't know what to make of this! Certainly my most difficult to review so far - As a huge Dylan fan this should be right up my street but i just can not connect to Cohen the same way i do Dylan - It takes many listens to get used too (so don't write it off after 1 listen) and is not the most upbeat albums to go running too! it is very dark, very sombre but also there is moments where it's quite beautiful.
No doubt Cohen is a brilliant writer and poet, something he was more famous for before turning to Music - at times it does feel he is just reading his poetry over the music and there is plenty of imagery in some of haunting lyrics - another comparison to Dylan.
It is personal, events described in one of his biggest hits 'Famous Blue Raincoat' actually happened which makes it a engaging listen -'Avalanche' stands out - again lyrically straight to the heart but also a good melody played by his unique 'chop' acoustic playing, very good song.
There really is not much variety on this Album and unfortunately i wouldn't rush to hear it again, certainly not if i need cheering up!

Have a good weekend Blues

This placed 500 out of the Top 1000

5/10

Last edited:
I like a bit of Leonard Cohen and don't mind any of the songs, but only for about 1 or 2 every so often minutes not a whole album.so 5/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.