All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Really wanted to like this as i've heard so many good things about the band.
Not for me, far too samey, and dare I say it, a bit bland. Some of the lyrics I actually laughed at. This must have sounded dated even in 1980.
Not doubting the musical ability, just not my cup of tea.
I'll give it one point for the seagulls, and another point for keeping it to a mercifully short 6 tracks.
So 2/10 from me.

Apropos of nothing — I’m listening to LCD Soundsystem’s Sound of Silver record and would suggest lovers of the first album (and current champions) on our list give it a spin.

I rated the first four songs on Remain in Light a 10; the first five and maybe six songs on Sound of Silver are a 10 too (and James Murphy admitted to being influenced by Talking Heads . . . and, for you Mancs, The Fall . . . and, for you denizens of the classic rock thread, Yes).

Rush - Permanent Waves : 8 / 10

Wish I'd left some more space at the top because I'm having to give this an 8 when I want to give a 7, otherwise it ties with Dylan and that ain't right. Not my favourite Rush album but there's two great tracks (The Spirit of the Radio and Natural Science) bookending 4 okay-ish songs.

Place
Overall
Album
Forum score
Forum place
Me
1​
628​
Rush – Permanent Waves​
8​
2​
189​
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home​
7​
2​
7​
3​
227​
Talking Heads – Remain in Light​
7.2​
1​
6​
323​
Bad Company - Bad Company​
7​
2​
6​
156​
David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name​
3.6​
7​
6​
6​
119​
The Beatles - Help!​
6.7​
3​
5​
558​
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now​
6.1​
4​
5​
752​
Beck - Mellow Gold​
4.8​
5​
5​
9​
982​
Beth Orton – Central Reservation​
4.5​
6​
2​
692​
Def Leppard - Euphoria​
2.7​
9​
2​
11​
997​
Carly Simon - No Secrets​
3​
8​
1​

Rush - Permanent Waves : 8 / 10

Wish I'd left some more space at the top because I'm having to give this an 8 when I want to give a 7, otherwise it ties with Dylan and that ain't right. Not my favourite Rush album but there's two great tracks (The Spirit of the Radio and Natural Science) bookending 4 okay-ish songs.

Place
Overall
Album
Forum score
Forum place
Me
1​
628​
Rush – Permanent Waves​
8​
2​
189​
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home​
7​
2​
7​
3​
227​
Talking Heads – Remain in Light​
7.2​
1​
6​
323​
Bad Company - Bad Company​
7​
2​
6​
156​
David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name​
3.6​
7​
6​
6​
119​
The Beatles - Help!​
6.7​
3​
5​
558​
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now​
6.1​
4​
5​
752​
Beck - Mellow Gold​
4.8​
5​
5​
9​
982​
Beth Orton – Central Reservation​
4.5​
6​
2​
692​
Def Leppard - Euphoria​
2.7​
9​
2​
11​
997​
Carly Simon - No Secrets​
3​
8​
1​

Nice.

Oooh a Rush album.

I've never been into Rush, but I like most music, so I've given this a proper listen all evening whilst the missus was watching the first series of Ted Lasso in a 5 hour binge.

In 1980 I was listening to AC/DC, The Police, Gary Numan, OMD, Adam and the Ants, Iron Maiden...a weird hybrid mix of rock and the new electronic stuff that was coming through. Sure I branched out onto other plains, Squeeze, The Cure, Stevie Wonder and Billy Joel etc etc but I never went near Rush.

And after two listens I can confirm why.

It's fucking dreary. Sounds like it was aimed at virgins who dress up as wizards at weekends.

I get the fact that they were prog rock. I also get the fact that bands are supposed to progress. Sometimes for the better, hello Depeche Mode, sometimes to the detriment of their music, yes OMD I'm looking at you. But this is neither. It's a piss poor halfway house, still dreary prog and also dreary mid Atlantic rock.

And I fucking hate dreary mid Atlantic rock. it's as though they are saying...

"YES, we can play, oh we can play, we can also write lyrics, oh yes, meaningful lyrics, but let's make it completely devoid of anything interesting. No one will notice and it will sell by the shit load."

Punk had hit, electronic music had hit. Angry pop/rock had hit. Middle of the road rock acts and prog rock acts suddenly felt like they had to adapt. Join in. Be more exciting. And this is the abortion that was the result. And it is an abortion. A fucking cut it out and smack it into a wall to make sure it's dead abortion.

Music for stoners, dullards and virgin wizards.

Oh God, you want a score...

Let's be honest here, Spirit of Radio is ok, but everything else is very samey. Very, very samey. I have no idea how to score it. It washed over me without leaving an imprint. It felt like I hadn't listened to any music at all and I had to put another album on, Talk Talk's seminal offering The Colour Of Spring if you were wondering, just to confirm my ears/ brain were working. This also confirmed that bands can and do evolve in the right direction with beautiful results.

This whole sorry affair has also made me feel a little let down by a couple of posters on here who seemed to know what they were talking about music wise. Rush were shoved on a pedestal and lauded so much that my ears couldn't fail to enjoy the offering.

How wrong they were.

3/10

Best review anyone will likely read for this turgid shite, God I hate this type of music. Thank fuck I never had the misfortune of hearing much from this lot.

Worse songs ever

1. Don't stop believing
2. Whole lotta love
3. Pick any from this album.

1/10 for the video alone which shouldn't count.

Doubt I'll rate anything as low going forward.

Brother was a big fan years back, so they were forced on me somewhat. I can say for certain that I'd never knowingly pick Rush out to listen to. They can play, but I never could stand Lee's voice and the tracks just wash over me, not for me.
3/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.