All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

11/1000

View attachment 22216

Permanent Waves is the seventh studio album by the Canadian rock band Rush, released on January 14, 1980, through Anthem Records. After touring to support their previous album, Hemispheres (1978), the band began working on new material for a follow-up album in July 1979. This material showed a shift in the group's sound towards more concise arrangements and radio friendly songs (such as "The Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill"), though their progressive rock blueprint is still evident with "Jacob's Ladder" and the over nine-minute closer "Natural Science". Bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee also employed a more restrained vocal delivery compared to previous albums. Permanent Waves was recorded in 1979 at Le Studio in Morin-Heights, Quebec with production handled by the group and Terry Brown.

Permanent Waves received a mostly positive reception from critics, and became the band's most successful album at the time of release, reaching No. 3 in Canada and the UK and No. 4 in the US. The album was certified platinum in the latter by the Recording Industry Association of America for selling one million copies. Rush released "The Spirit of Radio" as a single in February 1980 and toured in support of the album in 1979 and 1980.

1. The Spirit Of Radio
2. Freewill
3. Jacob's Ladder
4. Entre Nous
5. Different Strings
6. Natural Science

• I: "Tide Pools"
  • II: "Hyperspace"
  • III: "Permanent Waves"

Here we go! Review No. 11 - Unbelievable Jeff! after the last few pages of a few of you talking about Rush - it is the band i have been listening to all week. This is Rush entering more of a commercial sound - more so with what i think is their greatest ever track with the opener 'The Spirit Of Radio' .. it is simply awesome - whilst we marvelled at the Lennon/Mccartney partnership for the Beatles - i think it would be equally fair to heap similar praise for the complete musicianship by Geddy, Lifeson and Peart for over 45 years and producing some absolute monster prog rock! Synthesizers are used more than their previous work and lyrically it is more thoughtful. Follow up 'Freewill' is very good and has a great guitar solo - tracks 3,4,5 i have to admit not warming too and switching off a litlle, final track at 10mins long is 'Natural Science' - it's an epic - how do 3 musicians produce so much sound ?! this showcases their talent more than any other and it is hard rock prog at it's finest. play it loud !

Have a good weekend Blues

This placed 628 out of the Top 1000

7/10

Finally BlueHammer85
You've put my favorite band ever in one of your "all timers"

4/10
I always thought i would like Rush if they had a different vocalist.

Cheers Blues - Great contribution and reviews and a big 22 votes - Rush certainly divided opinion as reflected in there marmite scoring - but despite their poor score this nomination has created a 'Classic Rock' thread, so all good!

Rush / Permanent Waves
22 votes
Average Score = 5.22

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.