All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Well, this review shows how subjective music is!

I'd not heard this album before, but I LOVE Night and Day.

I like Joe Jackson as a musician, he really knows how to play and is able to blend styles together and make it work. I think on this album it felt like he was trying to make another Night and Day, but he just didn't have the material. I just can't help comparing the two albums as they were made about the same time.

It's a hard one to review as I didn't dislike any of it at all. I liked the latino sound and I am a fan of his voice and of course, he's a superb musician.

In some ways, I feel this album is like the Talk Talk one in that there was something in it that I think I need to listen to again to see if I like it. As such, I feel there's something there I quite like. And, to be fair, I'm going to mark this how I think I will do if I listen to it 10 times. I think it could grow on me this one, but I also partly think would I ever choose to listen to it over NAD? Probably not.

Before I give my score, this and a couple of the other albums got me thinking. I've found this a great thread to find new music I've not heard before. Some of it I have heard before too though. I've not read the book that the albums are taken from, and I could quite easily be completely wrong here. It does happen!

Whilst it's possible that Joe Jackson may have multiple albums in the top 1000, this album is not as good as the exceptional Night and Day. As a Beck fan, we had Mellow Gold over Odelay. As a CSNY fan we had CSN over Deja Vu by CSNY. I'm not a Def Leppard fan, although I like some songs by them, but Hysteria is simply a far better album. You see where I'm going with this.

Is the author a wind up merchant? :)

Anyway, I'll give this a 7..!
Good post. This thread continues to be entertaining and thought provoking. We're miles apart on this record (but are we really? Only 5 points) but i'm enjoying everyones opinions.

2 sevens and a positive write up for Cha Cha Loco - are the 7 horseman of the apocalypse currently on route................?
Def Leppard are now breathing more uneasily (and panting profusely due to age and 50+ years of bong resin caking their lungs) after these positive reviews!

All the songs are passable (except Go For It which is simply atrocious, like a bad Eurovision entry, and whatever that last track was). The only interesting parts to me were the bridge of You Can't Get What You Want and the voice of the co-singer on Happy Ending. The rest is a bit too plodding.

2 / 10

All the songs are passable (except Go For It which is simply atrocious, like a bad Eurovision entry, and whatever that last track was). The only interesting parts to me were the bridge of You Can't Get What You Want and the voice of the co-singer on Happy Ending. The rest is a bit too plodding.

2 / 10
Come on mate, it's only right that we get a judgement on a particular bit;

Cha Cha yay or Cha Cha nay? ;-)

Come on mate, it's only right that we get a judgement on a particular bit;

Cha Cha yay or Cha Cha nay? ;-)
Cha Cha nay for me, his voice has a limited range and he hides it by sliding down to easier notes when a better singer will express themselves more emphatically. Just feel that song needs more oomph in the vocal department.

Last edited:
Interesting how this one, not unlike many others, is dividing opinion. Funnily enough, I do not have a strong opinion either way - it's not an album I would ever buy, and I won't be in a rush to play it again, but it's much better than the 2/10 scores that are being bandied about.

I enjoyed reading @FogBlueInSanFran 's review as usual, and his brass turned up to 82 comment had me chuckling for a few minutes, but I also think that when judging the album as a whole, it was a little unfair. There are two terrible tracks in the middle of the running order- horrible, soulless 80s, over-produced rubbish, but there are also moments of genuine quality and my overriding memory of this album was the tasteful piano, sax solos and noir atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, this is not my kind of music - there's nothing that rocks and there's no earthy twang within a 100 miles, but given a choice between this and our go-to yardstick of Talking heads, it'd be JJ every time.

But only 5/10.

Interesting how this one, not unlike many others, is dividing opinion. Funnily enough, I do not have a strong opinion either way - it's not an album I would ever buy, and I won't be in a rush to play it again, but it's much better than the 2/10 scores that are being bandied about.

I enjoyed reading @FogBlueInSanFran 's review as usual, and his brass turned up to 82 comment had me chuckling for a few minutes, but I also think that when judging the album as a whole, it was a little unfair. There are two terrible tracks in the middle of the running order- horrible, soulless 80s, over-produced rubbish, but there are also moments of genuine quality and my overriding memory of this album was the tasteful piano, sax solos and noir atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, this is not my kind of music - there's nothing that rocks and there's no earthy twang within a 100 miles, but given a choice between this and our go-to yardstick of Talking heads, it'd be JJ every time.

But only 5/10.
They are a very good yardstick to be fair........ ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.