All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

I've had a look at the list today, and there are some absolute belters in it.
We've been really unlucky so far, patience is needed. Keep up the thread hammerman, you're doing a great job.
This erotica offering, i'm gonna say it was ok.
I could ramble for ages about madonna, but it's not really needed here. (Cue half an hour of rambling)
I did give it a fair few playings, and I was never offended, but ironically, I was never pleasured either.
The lyrics to "bad girl" made me smile. Drunk by six. Kissing a strangers lips. Fair play madge. I'd have a pint with you girl.
Let's not forget she wrote this stuff, she wasn't pointing fingers at writers, and never shied away from trying to create, innovate, shock even.
That book came out and it was news at the time. Only page 3 girls got the tits out. Madge couldn't stop herself, but she did it in a classy way, and managed to make a few more millions along the way.
Seems a bit dated now, but she gets my respect for the innovative way she reached out.
She's had an unmatched career, and her ability to change has always impressed me, she's a female bowie in many ways, ups, downs, great songs, some not so, but the legacy will be there I think when she's gone.
The album itself then.
It's superbly produced, the music is beautiful in parts. You can tell by this stage in her career she only worked with the best.
I must admit I did a little bit of research into this album as it's one that i've not heard fully before. The rap track wasn't even meant to be there, he freestyed it for a laugh and madonna loved it so it made the record. It's actually about the guys in the studio thinking that dre was giving her one on the sly..imagine that...
I meant to start with do I want to listen to madonna singing about her clopper and how much she wants someone to pay it some attention.
Turns out I do, but only in small doses.
Cant be arsed to do a track by track, but it's a 3/10.

I've had a look at the list today, and there are some absolute belters in it.
We've been really unlucky so far, patience is needed. Keep up the thread hammerman, you're doing a great job.
This erotica offering, i'm gonna say it was ok.
I could ramble for ages about madonna, but it's not really needed here. (Cue half an hour of rambling)
I did give it a fair few playings, and I was never offended, but ironically, I was never pleasured either.
The lyrics to "bad girl" made me smile. Drunk by six. Kissing a strangers lips. Fair play madge. I'd have a pint with you girl.
Let's not forget she wrote this stuff, she wasn't pointing fingers at writers, and never shied away from trying to create, innovate, shock even.
That book came out and it was news at the time. Only page 3 girls got the tits out. Madge couldn't stop herself, but she did it in a classy way, and managed to make a few more millions along the way.
Seems a bit dated now, but she gets my respect for the innovative way she reached out.
She's had an unmatched career, and her ability to change has always impressed me, she's a female bowie in many ways, ups, downs, great songs, some not so, but the legacy will be there I think when she's gone.
The album itself then.
It's superbly produced, the music is beautiful in parts. You can tell by this stage in her career she only worked with the best.
I must admit I did a little bit of research into this album as it's one that i've not heard fully before. The rap track wasn't even meant to be there, he freestyed it for a laugh and madonna loved it so it made the record. It's actually about the guys in the studio thinking that dre was giving her one on the sly..imagine that...
I meant to start with do I want to listen to madonna singing about her clopper and how much she wants someone to pay it some attention.
Turns out I do, but only in small doses.
Cant be arsed to do a track by track, but it's a 3/10.

Very good write up @crublue1

I have to pull you up for the ‘the music is beautiful in parts ‘ …. Where ? I can only point to ‘Rain’ as having any kind of nice music for a track on here.

Talking Heads
Remain in Light
2/10

Beth Orton
Central Reservation
4/10

David Crosby
If Only I Could Remember My Name
7/10

Def Leppard
Euphoria
2/10

Beck
Mellow Gold
2/10

Bad Company
Bad Company
6/10

Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
6/10

Aretha Franklin
Aretha Now
6/10

Carly Simon
No secrets
3/10

The Beatles
Help!
6/10

Rush
Permanent Waves
5/10

Leonard Cohen
Songs of love and hate
3/10

Crosby Stills & Nash
Crosby Stills & Nash
7/10

Frank Sinatra
Sings for Only the Lonely
5/10

Talk Talk
Spirit of Eden
5/10

Roxy Music
Country Life
3/10

Joe Jackson
Body and Soul
2/10

New Score

Madonna
Erotica
A full album of someone singing about sex (I think you guys know where this score and review is heading)

The few tracks (if you can switch off from what she is singing / talking about) could pass as OK early '90's house(ish) music at a pinch.

Anyway, that's enough of the positives on this particular project, let's get to the knitty gritty of it ;-)

What on earth was she thinking?

A full 14 track album devoted to sex - someone may be able to enlighten me on this one as I would only be about 6 when this came out, was this the first time that 'sex sells' becam a thing? Was the world or the female species that sexually repressed that they needed Madonna to release an album book on it?

- What is she trying to educate us on?
- What is the point of the concept album?

Got to be honest, isn't she showing herself up here by discrediting her musical talent to become a sex object?

Feels to me that in a few years there'll be a book on how she was exploited by Hollywood or the producers in the making of this and / or her career choices (I certainly hope for her sake she wasn't and she was fully in control if that makes sense).

Anyway, I'm waffling as usual.

Whilst not being a huge fan, she has plenty of music in her repertoire that I don't immediately leap for the dial to turn off if one of her songs come on but I can't buy into this album at all (this may have already seeped through in the above ;-) ).

Anyway to the score, I'm going to stick with a 2 as I want to reserve the 1 for Simply Rag if they made the list (or maybe Bono).

Enjoy your Sunday Blues - Pep in!!!!!!!! ;-)

Very good write up @crublue1

I have to pull you up for the ‘the music is beautiful in parts ‘ …. Where ? I can only point to ‘Rain’ as having any kind of nice music for a track on here.
Ok mate, no worries, i'm happy to be pulled up, and i'll try to justify as best I can.
Rain is the obvious one, but the album has some great tunes, she was a bit of a perfectionist in the studio, and I don't think she gets enough credit for this.
Take the vocals off 'bad girl' for instance and you're left with a great piece of music in it's own right.
Same goes for 'thief of hearts' a great dance track. Ditto for 'words'
In fact, thinking about it, this album could be re-mixed into a decent up beat disco/ ravy type affair. All the ingredients are there.
Maybe beautiful was over egging it a bit, but I still reckon the actual music is well produced and thought out. It's not throw away commercial shite, some effort has been made.
She has done much better but I will concede at least she had the confidence to make this one, and rightly so.

The girl next door gave me this album to listen to, when I was 15. As she sunbathed in her back garden on a hot summers day, she asked over the fence if I enjoyed it and wanted to come over and I assumed listen to it again, as I thought it was shite and Madonna ugly I declined and went out to play football with my mates, being a very slow learner, I only had a WTF moment about 2 years later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.