All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Hmmmm. If technical facility is what matters most we should be reviewing classical records and just forget this rock and roll shit.

And if jumping around is frowned upon, James Brown would like a word.
No, technical facility is not what matters most. Attitude is fine by me when it's the right attitude. If an artist is angry about the state of the country or the world or some injustice and wants to vent their spleen in a song, that's fine by me. If they want to strut around saying we're the greatest band in the world, that's also fine (whether it's true or not).

However, we can't be bothered writing anything decent or learning to play our guitars properly or swearing on live TV and somehow thinking that that's great - then I'm not interested. Clearly this doesn't apply to the Violent Femmes by the way, more a lot of those 70s punk bands that some fawn over, but each to their own.

Fully agree but Mick Jagger probably covers about 15km whilst on stage, but we do know that he can stand and sing.

Music produced from someone like Paul Weller greatly improved from his Jam output to his '90's lineup etc etc imho.

Granted this is hugely subjective...........

Edit: And I don't think anyone would query the vocals of James Brown ;-)
I don't like The Jam, have never listened to The Style Council, but some of his solo output is very good (e.g. the Wild Wood album).

I’m not the biggest Paul Weller fan on the best of days but I am guessing among connoisseurs of the man’s output you would find few that agree that The Style Council is a better listen than The Jam. But I could be wrong.
Maybe they would - his 'solo' stuff was better for me - Style Council were shite (tin hat on)...........

No, technical facility is not what matters most. Attitude is fine by me when it's the right attitude. If an artist is angry about the state of the country or the world or some injustice and wants to vent their spleen in a song, that's fine by me. If they want to strut around saying we're the greatest band in the world, that's also fine (whether it's true or not).

However, we can't be bothered writing anything decent or learning to play our guitars properly or swearing on live TV and somehow thinking that that's great - then I'm not interested. Clearly this doesn't apply to the Violent Femmes by the way, more a lot of those 70s punk bands that some fawn over, but each to their own.

Technical ability is not the most important thing and even less so with punk - although some of those 70's punk musicians actually had more of it than they initially let on.

How much technical ability a musician requires depends on the degree of difficulty of the material and great music does not have to have a high degree of difficulty but it must sound good, unlike the vocals on the VF album. I also though some of the music was a bit discordant, which rarely works for me.

Technical ability is not the most important thing and even less so with punk - although some of those 70's punk musicians actually had more of it than they initially let on.

How much technical ability a musician requires depends on the degree of difficulty of the material and great music does not have to have a high degree of difficulty but it must sound good, unlike the vocals on the VF album. I also though some of the music was a bit discordant, which rarely works for me.
If you think this is discordant or that the playing is facile, than I shudder to think what you’d think about some of the bands I like!

I think my taste is a little broader than most on here and maybe I’m a bit more charitable to the artists for the effort to do something new, unique or different — except that Joe Jackson U-turned away from how he started and I didn’t like that move at all, and Leonard Cohen is “unique” and I thought his record was awful, so I'm a wealth of contradictions.

I do like speed over slow, that’s probably the most consistent of my tastes across genres.

Last edited:
If you think this is discordant or that the playing is facile, than I shudder to think what you’d think about some of the bands I like!

I think my taste is a little broader than most on here and maybe I’m a bit more charitable to the artists for the effort to do something new, unique or different — except that Joe Jackson U-turned away from how he started and I didn’t like that move at all, and Leonard Cohen is “unique” and I thought his record was awful, so I'm a wealth of contradictions.

I do like speed over slow, that’s probably the most consistent of my tastes across genres.

I think my taste is reasonably broad although I favour Classic Rock in its many forms first but I do like there to be melody in there. I don't go much for excessive speed.

I'll be back with my thoughts on this record later, but let me tell you about my day thus far.

City win.
Utd lose.
Liverpool draw with a defense that looks like a leaky bucket.
My oldest kid -- a piano player -- says, "Hey Dad, have you ever heard of this band called The Stone Roses? I really, really like them. Can I get the sheet music to 'Waterfall'?"

Yes. It's been a pretty good day.
So have you heard of them ? ;-)

If one likes his solo stuff that is a good sign middle age has arrived and one is very comfortable being there.
I've always been middle-aged in my music listening because whatever age you are, the music is far better there.
Chanting out "Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles" in a cocky, overly cocker-ney kind of way doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.