All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Well, this review is a bit unusual - for me anyway.

I knew "Blister in the sun" as it was a staple of the indie clubs in the early 90s. I just assumed that Violent Femmes were one of those early 90s indie bands that had a couple of good singles, then faded away. In a way I thought of them as a Sleeper or Elastica type band.

Anyway, I listened to the album and my view was that I agree with everyone else - annoying singer and slightly childish lyrics. My view was that the album was fairly typical of the indie wave of the early 90s and I was minded to compare them a bit to Supergrass. Supergrass were master of 'childish' stories but their melodies were absolutely superb - far better than the Violent Femmes (I love Supergrass).

In truth, I didn't think too much of the album and was going to give it a lowish mark - 4. However, on Spotify it says that the VF album was made in 1983. I just assumed it was a typo and it should be 1993 and went to double check it. No, it was released in 1983!

Now, for all albums I do try to listen with two sets of ears. Firstly, the ears of someone who'd heard this for the first time when it was first released. What was the context? Who else was around? Who wasn't around yet? Secondly, how does it sound nowadays.

So, given that this album released in 1983 sounds like it should've been made in 1993, I have to reconsider my score. It's ahead of it's time. It's a 'slacker rock' album made in 1983 and in my mind, there wasn't too many other bands doing that back then.

In all honesty, it's not an album I'd return to although Blister in the Sun is a great pop song. That said, it's ahead of it's time in 1983 and as a result it's likely to have some significance to bands who came after it with regards to the slacker/garage type sound so I have to mark it a little higher than I would've done without check the date.

It's not that good mind, but 6/10 seems fair.

Musically it's raw and basic and the lyrics sound like they've been written by a high school student and probably were. I got bored very quickly as it sounded all the same throughout, to my ears it is very much of its era. There's something there, though, in the ability of the musicians. I could give them an extra point for that, but I won't.

3 / 10

Last edited:
Finally! A decent band!
Monday night at the Ritz dancing to Gone Daddy Gone or Add it up. Great times.

2 years ago I missed out on seeing the VF's touring the US with Echo and the Bunnymen. The bands swapped each night being first on / last on. Nearest they played to me was St Augustine 3 hours away mid week so gave it a miss.

Talking Heads
Remain in Light
2/10

Beth Orton
Central Reservation
4/10

David Crosby
If Only I Could Remember My Name
7/10

Def Leppard
Euphoria
2/10

Beck
Mellow Gold
2/10

Bad Company
Bad Company
6/10

Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
6/10

Aretha Franklin
Aretha Now
6/10

Carly Simon
No secrets
3/10

The Beatles
Help!
6/10

Rush
Permanent Waves
5/10

Leonard Cohen
Songs of love and hate
3/10

Crosby Stills & Nash
Crosby Stills & Nash
7/10

Frank Sinatra
Sings for Only the Lonely
5/10

Talk Talk
Spirit of Eden
5/10

Roxy Music
Country Life
3/10

Joe Jackson
Body and Soul
2/10

Madonna
Erotica
2/10

New Score

Violent Femmes
Violent Femmes
It definitely is acoustic punk and not folk punk (I think the latter would have been a more interesting fusion)

I was really looking forward to this album, no knowledge of the band, their output, or this particular genre of music. As many have already noted, if you had told me that this was a a new band with a new release I wouldn't have queried it. Their sound feels really current to me - There isn't really anything in there to signify the early 80's.

I obviously recognise the opening track its very well known (granted I didn't know the name or who had created it) - can't say I'm blown away by it.

The opening riff for Confessions is a great sound, which then immediately starts being undone by the vocal and the general progression of the song - What are you doing!?!*

Don't enjoy the lyrics (I feel pretty much anyone can write these) or the vocals and some of it is just very basic.

My favourite part of the album is without question is the first 3(?) seconds of Prove my Love - I honestly thought it was the start of Jive Bunny and brought a huge smile to my chops. :-)

Disappointingly this was about to get a 3 out of 10 but having scrolled through my previous scores, I find it comparable to Beck's effort. It feels like a 2.5 for the 3 seconds of Jive Bunny but I think it should be rounded down.

Sorry acoustic punk lovers its a hugely disappointing;

2/10

* Punk isn't my genre at all, I always have this nagging problem / wonder, how good they are if they cut out the attitude and jumping around (don't get me wrong this could be levelled at anyone) - just how good are you?

And I generally come back to being not that impressive - Confessions is a good reference point for this. Decent riff, nice opening and the potential to produce a really good and potentially meaningful song.

Grinds my gears so it does - I want more out of you Punk Heads............

Hmmmm. If technical facility is what matters most we should be reviewing classical records and just forget this rock and roll shit.

And if jumping around is frowned upon, James Brown would like a word.
Fully agree but Mick Jagger probably covers about 15km whilst on stage, but we do know that he can stand and sing.

Music produced from someone like Paul Weller greatly improved from his Jam output to his '90's lineup etc etc imho.

Granted this is hugely subjective...........

Edit: And I don't think anyone would query the vocals of James Brown ;-)

Music produced from someone like Paul Weller greatly improved from his Jam output to his '90's lineup etc etc imho.
I’m not the biggest Paul Weller fan on the best of days but I am guessing among connoisseurs of the man’s output you would find few that agree that The Style Council is a better listen than The Jam. But I could be wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.