All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Wow Humble Pie? Seriously? That’s hilarious. I very much like “Do The Strand” from that record (though maybe my favo(u)rite of theirs is “Amazona” from “Stranded”). I liked the synthy dance direction they went after Siren but always appreciated the early stuff I heard too. It’s funny you reference Ferry’s comments because it presages some of my own thoughts about how “European” this band seems. Obviously I love Eno (I might own more records he contributed something to more than any other other artist) but Roxy did plenty of good stuff without him.

I like Roxy from start to finish. They retain an identity throughout but their later work became progressively smoother and more radio friendly but I am a massive AOR fan so I am happy with the more commercial stuff.

To an American, this isn’t an English band – it’s a European band. I’ve always imagined smooth operator Bryan Ferry is fluent in French and would have sung entirely in French if it weren’t for the inability to sell records in England by singing in French. On “Bitter Sweet” he sings in fucking German, which explains a lot about why Scorpions sing in English and Tangerine Dream play instrumentals (and Kraftwerk do one or the other). That and the junky throwaway bluesy-doowop of “If It Takes All Night” are definitely this record’s low points.

But thankfully, the rest of this varies between a good and a great listen. With Roxy, you’re nearly always going to get a mixed bag in terms of tempos and sonics – fast and slow, loud and quiet. This record has that variability, with some slightly unusual experiments all grounded in Bryan Ferry’s romantic notion of a wandering Casanova (see below) whose scorecard of how many times he’s had his own heart broken is very long (not that he cares how many hearts HE breaks). I’ve always found his warble unique and attractive even though he’s singing songs about women I wouldn’t typically have a chance in hell with.

At their best, they really were pretty grand, and three of the first four songs are right up there in the top of their catalogue – “The Thrill of It All”, “All I Want Is You” and “Out of The Blue” all soar in that way that Roxy perfected. Phil Manzanera wails and screams and flails and flies around maybe more loosely than on any Roxy record I’ve heard and underscores the mess Ferry has made of his love life (on “Casanova” especially, an aptly named song if there ever was one). I’ve always thought RM could turn a pretty good trick with some of their slow ones too; “A Really Good Time”, replete with its strings and bubbling bass line is nice example of that (done even better, IMO, on “Siren”). The closer “Prairie Rose” and its slide guitar (!) returns to the energy of the record’s beginning, though Mr. Ferry might find Texas less willing to succumb to his charms these days.

It’s a shame the two truly weak ones drag this record down, but this is the first album on this thread so far where after listening to it, I said “Wow, how did I never own this?” I didn’t realize how much I missed these guys, and after the slow pace of so much we’ve listened to lately, this came as a very welcome change. Listening was like running into an old friend on the street and deciding to head to a pub and dinner on the spot to get caught up for several hours. Viva Roxy!

7.5 sounds right (it's near a 9 without the bad songs), but heading into a long weekend here in the USA and in a great mood I’m going with 8/10.

Last edited:
I listened to this at work yesterday and thought it was ok, but it didn't really grab me. There are some good tracks on the album, but overall probably not enough to grab me back to listen again.

I do like experimental bands and appreciate how bands move on and find new ways to express themselves. Roxy Music have done that really well in their career - it's hard to believe the same band did this album, Virginia Plain and Avalon!

I prefer the later stuff like Avalon. I just prefer that smooth sound and the production is superb. However I can appreciate there are some good tracks on the album.

It gets a 6 from me.

I listened to this at work yesterday and thought it was ok, but it didn't really grab me. There are some good tracks on the album, but overall probably not enough to grab me back to listen again.

I do like experimental bands and appreciate how bands move on and find new ways to express themselves. Roxy Music have done that really well in their career - it's hard to believe the same band did this album, Virginia Plain and Avalon!

I prefer the later stuff like Avalon. I just prefer that smooth sound and the production is superb. However I can appreciate there are some good tracks on the album.

It gets a 6 from me.
If you played this on vinyl in the 70s you may have got it then , it’s of it’s time I admit but I love it & roxy .

For those interested I was digging around and found this list of Roxy Music songs ranked. I was heartened to find the two I thought were lousy on Country Life near the bottom :) but one of my favo(u)rites (“Amazona”, from Stranded) was only in the middle :(. Makes for a fun read, whatever you think, if you like this band.

Last edited:
For those interested I was digging around and found this list of Roxy Music songs ranked. I was heartened to find the two I thought were lousy on Country Life near the bottom :) but one of my favo(u)rites (“Amazona”, from Stranded) was only in the middle :(. Makes for a fun read, whatever you think, if you like this band.

‘Thrill Of It All’ 3rd place !

If you played this on vinyl in the 70s you may have got it then , it’s of it’s time I admit but I love it & roxy .
Absolutely @davyhulme blue and please don't think that I don't rate Roxy Music. They are a superb band and it astonishes me they were able to switch from experimental rock to smooth soulful synth pop and make it look a natural progression!

They are just before my time, but I always try to listen to albums as if I was there at the time and obviously with "today's" ears. You can hear in this album that it would be influential as it doesn't really sound like anyone else. There just wasn't enough to grab me at a first listen.

I am a massive 70s music fan even though I just wasn't born when a lot of it was made. I see the 60s as the decade when modern music was born, but the 70s see it grow massively due to the absolute quality and huge variety of the bands.

Absolutely @davyhulme blue and please don't think that I don't rate Roxy Music. They are a superb band and it astonishes me they were able to switch from experimental rock to smooth soulful synth pop and make it look a natural progression!

They are just before my time, but I always try to listen to albums as if I was there at the time and obviously with "today's" ears. You can hear in this album that it would be influential as it doesn't really sound like anyone else. There just wasn't enough to grab me at a first listen.

I am a massive 70s music fan even though I just wasn't born when a lot of it was made. I see the 60s as the decade when modern music was born, but the 70s see it grow massively due to the absolute quality and huge variety of the bands.
Well said mate I wasn’t having a pop at you .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.