All Time Top 1100 Albums

mancity1

Indeed it was, but the band was formed in London and they debuted live in London.
this is a tough one blue hammer but a good choice once again.

Any album that gets a life time Grammy has to be reckoned with but I am torn because the best tracks for me clearly are some of the covers of the classics.

I first listened to it by chance after "discovering" Blind Faith back in the early seventies another one album so called super group and I have to admit I haven't listened to many of the tracks for a long time.

Most albums that I enjoy now grow on me over time some I didn't take much notice to upon first listening to.

Layla has the riff no doubt but my favourite piece in fact is the piano coda credited to Jim.

its not my favourite track on the album in fact its not in the first three.

I will have a decent listen as its too far gone for me and come up with a rating.

Last edited:

mancity1

this is a tough one blue hammer but a good choice once again.

Any album that gets a life time Grammy has to be reckoned with but I am torn because the best tracks for me clearly are some of the covers of the classics.

I first listened to it by chance after "discovering" Blind Faith back in the early seventies another one album so called super group and I have to admit I haven't listened to many of the tracks for a long time.

Most albums that I enjoy now grow on me over time some I didn't take much notice to upon first listening to.

Layla has the riff no doubt but my favourite piece in fact is the piano coda credited to Jim.

its not my favourite track on the album in fact its not in the first three.

I will have a decent listen as its too far gone for me and come up with a rating.
Apologies blue hammer I fell asleep before completing the post and semi kicked it to the forum.

Feel free to unlike it now if you can (LOL).

Love the work you are doing by the way on this thread , don't know how you find the time to be honest.

OB1

So Layla has to be awarded 9/10 by your truly.

I generally prefer the originals to the covers and the title track is still the album highlight for me but there's a host of good songs on here. There's nothing very clever about the songs themselves but the album has a wonderful warm sound and the musicianship is excellent. Tom Dowd's production blends everything together and makes the most of the almost telepathic dueling guitars of Clapton and Allman: it's like a musical stew with layers and layers of flavour.

Bill Walker

Id actually forgotten about this album, not the big song obviously, but Clappers was in quite a few bands, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Delany & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominoes, Roger Waters...have I missed any ?
No doubting this is a fine album, maybe one too many covers but Im being picky.
Of course Layla is the standout, Its not my favourite Clapton album, that would be 90210 Ocean Boulevard. :) But its a fine offering.
It flows very nicely from song to song, and from side to side, building towards the title track. It is a very comfortable melding of traditional blues and rock music circa 1970. There are well written tunes, classic blues, great guitar work from Eric and Duane, passionate vocals from Eric and Bobby Whitlock, and a great, anchoring rhythm section in Jim Gordon and Carl Radle. I've had it on one form or another since about 1972, and it is one I welcome going back too.
Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad may be my favorite track, the one track that approaches the passion of Layla, and much less played.
I always felt Layla needed a better singer than Eric though, I cant help but feel that whenever I hear it.
Eric did a lot of very good and some great work after Layla. As time passes I appreciate his solo work more and more. It battled against an expectation based on Cream or Derek and the Dominoes over the years. That wasn't what he was doing anymore, for the most, so people (me) were disappointed. But I have found a LOT more appreciation what he did from 461Ocean Boulevard through From the Cradle. I'm a fan of Eric's career as a whole.

Id give this album a 7/10, only let down by a poor/flat cover of Little Wing, and one too many covers in general.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.