All Time Top 1100 Albums

mancity1

Based on my earlier remarks and looking at the fact that Bill Walker whose musical tastes and knowledge of music I admire a lot has in a nutshell summarised my thoughts in the main although clearly Layla is not on my list of Eric's best work Ocean Boulevard is clearly for me head and shoulders above anything he has done solo so to speak all thing s considered a 6/10.

As Bill alludes to too many covers and for me the covers are the best tracks on the album.

Bill Walker

If anyone wants to purchase Layla it now comes in a new half-speed remastered form to mark its 50th anniversary, the story of Derek And The Dominos’ debut album Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs keeps on growing with every incarnation.
As a reissue project, its obviously not in unchartered waters here. There have already been at least seven separate reboots of the album on CD including 1990’s The Layla Sessions: 20th Anniversary Edition, which expanded it to a 3CD set complete with two extra discs of unused, alternate and incomplete masters of the original songs plus studio jamming. A 40th anniversary deluxe edition in 2021 also rifled extensively through the album’s store cupboard.
Having said that, Layla… is less well served on vinyl and this latest 4LP boxset tangibly has the edge on its predecessors. It’s always been a dense sonic mix – the album’s multi-tracked guitars the obvious highlight – and this new version by Miles Showell at Abbey Road brings the most clarity to date to its individual instrumentation. This new boxset also includes a 12×12” book of sleevenotes taken from the 40th anniversary edition.

For this incarnation, we have the original album, outtakes from the original sessions, performances on Johnny Cash’s TV show from 5 November 1970, their Phil Spector-helmed debut single and April/May 1971 works-in-progress for an aborted second album with producer Andy Johns.

Im actually thinking of getting this. :)

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.