All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Really sorry Dylan fans, but I could barely listen to this album. His voice at his peak grates with me, but on this album it's absolutely dreadful. I thought it was a joke at the start of the first track! But no, it carried on. No one who recorded this with him had the decency to tell him his voice is shot to pieces and really annoying. For me it's a typical Dylan album, clever and brilliantly written lyrics and decent music but let down by a guy who just can't sing.

I love Dylan's songs, but not when he sings them. Nearly every cover version of his songs are better than his, but I do appreciate he's a titan of 20th Century music. I feel really envious of those who love his music, but I just can't get into it.

I really don't know how to score this album. I actually liked the songs and the music. If he was in a pub singing like this on a Tuesday afternoon, the landlord would throw him out. His voice means it gets one play only for me, but I'd love to hear this album in the careful hands of someone who can sing. Imagine how much better this album would sound by getting Sinatra to sing it and Nelson Riddle doing the arrangement? Or even just sung by McCartney, Jagger... even Britney Spears! :)

This is the toughest album yet for me to score. It's Friday and I'm feeling slightly generous so it's a 3. Sorry Bob, it would be a 8 I think if you didn't sing it.

cracked me up some of that, I think I'm just to accustomed to Dylan over the years that I don't even judge his voice when I hear his records - however! watching some of his recent live performances - he really does sound dreadful.

How this Dylan album ranks in the best 1,000 or so albums on all time is beyond me (my views on the random number generator are known). However, I don't know far more Dylan albums than I do so I am happy enough to have been introduced to this one and I will add it to my collection.

Have you heard Oh Mercy ? I know others may disagree, but it's my favourite Dylan album - a brilliantly atmospheric recording by Daniel Lanois and features some truly wonderful Dylan songs played by a top-notch musicians.

If he was in a pub singing like this on a Tuesday afternoon, the landlord would throw him out.
That made me laugh because it reminded me of a Dylan story from about 10 years ago. He was playing in Sweden (I think) and he couldn't get in the arena because security didn't recognise him and thought he looked too scruffy.

Have you heard Oh Mercy ? I know others may disagree, but it's my favourite Dylan album - a brilliantly atmospheric recording by Daniel Lanois and features some truly wonderful Dylan songs played by a top-notch musicians.

Now that's a Dylan album I've not heard for a long time, loved that one - just checked and it's in the Top 1000. wo hoo!

It's interesting that you feel the same as I about the riffs/hooks, other than "Sandman" which everyone seems to like including me. What's also odd is that if I've read this thread right, I'm the only one who really likes "Sad But True". I find this response to hooks so intriguing -- I know instantly if I like a hook or not -- it's a visceral gut thing. We all know when music is askew or cacophonous, if you just randomly mash a piano, say. So why does someone else like a hook or dislike a hook and I feel differently? Is it brain chemistry? Eardrum configuration? This is a rhetorical; it's just something I've never figured out. Why do I like so many hooks produced by Rage Against The Machine, or Filter, or Ozzy, or Helmet, but not Megadeth, or Tool, or Iron Maiden, or (apparently) Metallica?
Fog , I rate Sad but True highly , my favourite of the tracks I class as commercial on the Black Album , that is written I believe for an audience that James and Co know they need to appease at that stage of their music journey and coming off divorces etc although they do if for themselves first of course.

Shits on Nothing Else Matters and Sandman IMO.

the best stuff is always something close to the artists feelings , emotional being at the time at the time IMO.

Remember this song crushed it from E to D , it set the tone for the albums better known songs and the ones I like most.

Look its not Ride the Lightning or Kill em their best two albums by far IMO for both hook and riff but its much more than that.

I think a lot has to do with brain chemistry , not sure about the ear drum , music is emotion, not just sound, it instils and draws out emotion if you let it but you have to let go , much like going to another level of consciousness , I will never figure it out and I don't want to Fog that's the beauty , once if we do or think we do its probably over for us.

the more I think I know the less I know I know if that makes sense.

Is it ok if I sit this one out please? I listened to it once today and I'm not listening to it again thanks. Bad singing is bad singing and no matter how good the songs are, it's still bad singing.
I think the phrase "small doses" was invented for Dylan.
I get he is revered and respected, and song writing wise I'd agree, but there's no excuse for this.
Surrounded by other musicians as he was on the wilburys album, great, his contribution shines through. But left to his own devices, especially on this album in particular, mmm not convinced.
Apologies to the Dylan fans, but there's no denying this vocal performance is quite awful. If there was one or two upbeat tunes I might forgive it a little, but I found myself hankering for a bit of that Cohen album to cheer me up a bit.
I'm struggling, really struggling, to give it 1/10.
I'd rather not vote at all than give it what it's worth, which is fuck all.

I'm sorry, usually I can find something positive but this is just unpleasant (to my ears anyway)

Ok I'll give it 2/10 just as long as I don't have to go through it all again.

Really sorry to the many fans, I don't mean to be disrespectful I really don't, but I have to write what I hear.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.