All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

It’s how I think about them because 1) I like their individual songs better than the records they’re on and 2) for a good portion of their early life they were like most other bands a singles band. With their genius was some outright dross that was included on their records — Pepper has some and The White Album has plenty.

Also sometimes people are wrong, though not about Rubber Soul and Revolver probably. But I mean they’re the most influential rock band in history — so no matter what I think of their records song for song you kind of have to include them near the top for sheer importance. But as collective unified thematic works of art I don’t find their albums as compelling as those of many other bands. If I were to pick only one it would probably be Abbey Road, because I like the songs the best, not because there was a thematic element to it or because they had something important to say.
I can’t really argue with much that you say. I am as comfortable with Sgt Pepper being the best album ever as I am The Bends.
What they do well is fantastic collections of songs and Rubber Soul, Revolver, Let it Be and Abbey Road are certainly that. The quality of their compositions really transcends everything, singles, albums everything comes back to the quality of the songs. They will be played, sung and enjoyed long after we are here to enjoy them.

I can’t really argue with much that you say. I am as comfortable with Sgt Pepper being the best album ever as I am The Bends.
What they do well is fantastic collections of songs and Rubber Soul, Revolver, Let it Be and Abbey Road are certainly that. The quality of their compositions really transcends everything, singles, albums everything comes back to the quality of the songs. They will be played, sung and enjoyed long after we are here to enjoy them.
Too true but there are many other artists who songs and entire catalogue stack up well and I am a bit like Fog its consistency throughout an album that defines at least to me how often I will play the album , I grew up on albums , not singles so I am biased for sure.

Comparisons are difficult IMO , you just enjoy the music , I think the White Album is their best work so its interesting and its a good thing we all get clicked from different pieces and sounds.

You just enjoy as you say for a whole variety of reasons some clinical some intangible even

Long , long , long is probably my favourite Beatles track covering most of my moods probably but wouldn't rate top 50 in most devotees list if they had to compile one.

I doubt a Beatles song however would get into my favourite 50 songs or singles however despite being a fan.

It’s how I think about them because 1) I like their individual songs better than the records they’re on and 2) for a good portion of their early life they were like most other bands a singles band. With their genius was some outright dross that was included on their records — Pepper has some and The White Album has plenty.

Also sometimes people are wrong, though not about Rubber Soul and Revolver probably. But I mean they’re the most influential rock band in history — so no matter what I think of their records song for song you kind of have to include them near the top for sheer importance. But as collective unified thematic works of art I don’t find their albums as compelling as those of many other bands. If I were to pick only one it would probably be Abbey Road, because I like the songs the best, not because there was a thematic element to it or because they had something important to say.
its a good point you raise Fog , all skilled craftsman in any field are capable of and do produce dross and I actually think the smarter ones actually intentionally do so to keep you guessing or themselves guessing given I believe most song writers at least initially write for themselves rather than an appreciative audience or otherwise notwithstanding some clearly craft a formula that strives for success in terms of sales etc.

I really don't think writing poor songs and songs that are not popular should be discouraged for if nothing else it makes you appreciate the music you enjoy even more so.

the beauty of music is every piece written has an audience.

Its clear to me at least your tastes and varied and many and perhaps if I dare say both of us may not be into the commercially attractive songs as much as many others are at least in my case that is so be albeit their would be many songs I enjoy listening to that you would give a wide birth and for good reasons.

There seems to be a lot of Zeppelin fans on here so I’ll go carefully. They’re a band I don’t listen to a lot so was surprised when I browsed my stored albums that I had downloaded more or less all of theirs at some point, except this one.

I think my thinking is that they are a band I should like and listen to more than I do given their reputation and heritage. Their first album I like a lot, so much so I also have the vinyl version. I also like the live album Song Remains the Same, despite it being overblown in places and I also saw them at Knebworth in 79 (I think) although that was less as a “fan” and more because the opportunity was there to do some bonding with my errant father. Still, they were better than Chas and Dave.

Enough preamble. This album opens well, no denying that Immigrant Song is an in your face classic. After that it’s a bit so so for me, Celebration Day and Since I’ve been loving you are good, a couple of songs I don’t like at all, Gallows Pole and that stomp thing.

This album isn’t going to turn me into a Zeppelin afficionado, I’ll stick to the first album thanks but it’s OK and if I’m ever in the mood for a Zeppelin playlist, you never know, there are a few tracks that will make the cut.

It’s a 6 out of 10 for me.
If Zep are not really your thing, you shouldn’t feel the need to like them more because of their popularity / rating by others; as I am sure you well know.

I feel really strongly these days that it’s ok for people to like whatever they choose unless it involves Mozza or Mick Hucknall.

I don’t think the Beatles made it into my 200 or so long list for my top 15 bands, that is despite me now owning most of their catalogue (not got Red, Blue and additional variants of Let it be). Although that was more because they would have no chance if top 15. I may do my own 100 and I wonder if they might get into that.

i do think they are the greatest singles band / pop group ever.

i am someone who likes poppy / commercial sounds but first and foremost, give me riffs and power chords.

If Zep are not really your thing, you shouldn’t feel the need to like them more because of their popularity / rating by others; as I am sure you well know.

I feel really strongly these days that it’s ok for people to like whatever they choose unless it involves Mozza or Mick Hucknall.
Fucking hell @OB1 , I was in full support of the opening bit and then you had to go and name them two.......... :-)

Reactions: OB1
A very nice Sunday lunchtime spent listening to this album has led me to be in the dog house as I'm supposed to be cooking dinner. I also spent a lot of this time trying to count butterflies on the spinney wheel thing.

Why is there a nut and bolt on there?

Oh...the album...

It's the usual Led Zep album. A few stonkers, a couple of duds and filled out with a few...erm...fillers. Since I've Been Losing You is my favourite of the bunch for it's bluesy feel, the hammond/ bass drum and Plants voice at it's peak. Most of the b side is a bit flat and could do with a kicking.

Oh...there are 7 butterflies.

The same as my score.

7/10

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin III
@Bill Walker what is that effect that they put on Plants voice on Hats off (makes it sound like a really really really old blues recording - almost kind of gramophone)? Sorry to make you listen to it again so soon ;-)

I couldn't decide why I am slightly less familiar with this Zep album of the 1 through 4 - its got some decent songs on it, but I also honestly couldn't tell you the last time that I put it on.*

Immigrant song is decent riff (but I think people like this song a lot ore than I do) and Friends is great, I love the orchestral movements in it great but I am now already seeing the first problem on the horizon with this album - its the very highly thought of tracks in 3, 4 & 5.

Not fussed about Celebration Day, never have been - the guitaring feels a bit like a poor Rory Gallagher impersonation to me (no-one else ever get that vibe from Page some of the time)?

Since I've been loving you 7 minutes of decent-ish blues - leaves me cold. Not sure I can necessarily explain it away, there is absolutely nothing unlikeable about it but I never ever put it on. I never crave to here it.

Out on the tiles - its ok but aren't they now just plagiarising themselves?

I really like Gallows Pole (but why oh why does Plant need to start singing 'Seesaw Marjorie Door' towards the end of the song? Sounds like the latest scary chant from our Trafford neighbours ffs.

This is continued into Tangerine and Thats the way, both likeable additions to the album.

Bron Y-Aur Stomp and Hats off I can generally leave.

I'm going 6/10 (probably feels more 6.5 but I don't want to level up going off previous scoring again - there's some really good stuff, but I genuinely don't think they put as much leg work into preparing for this album than they had with others (and they were always incredibly quick to get it down on tape anyways). Its quite the hybrid album for me where they are trying to harness their 'new' sound.

Onholiday, why have you highlighted some of the songs you have detailed above?

Good observation and question Bluemoon music heads! ;-)

Well, its because I am about to make potentially the most ridiculous observation and / or complaint across all of these music threads to date (this does influence my thinking on the review of this album but is also a bit of a side note to the above).

They are mainly decent tracks, and I really do enjoy most of their acoustic work (see Going to California et al and being highly influenced by the West Coast sound and the likes of CSN-Y), but they are borderline mis-using / under appreciating the inputs of JPJ and Bonham who I believe we can all pretty much acknowledge are a huge huge part of what makes the band brilliant.

1638115107456.png

I sort of want that as a separate line-up (Like Page & Plant), I mean what was Bonham doing for circa half the album?

In other threads, whilst everyone has been arguing who's better out of The Who, Zep, The Beatles, The Stones or Simply Red etc and it suddenly occurred to me that The Who couldn't soften or go more acoustic (because of the 4 huge personalities and the equal spread of talent throughout the 4-piece version of the band) - i.e. you can't be writing albums that aren't going to harness the brilliance of Moon and Entwhislte, there'd be a fucking riot!!!

Townshend has spoken and written about this at great length that he felt they couldn't digress and as a result it held back his own guitar progression.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

So to a point, I'm saying that I really like Zep's acoustic stuff but I also find it really frustrating that certain band members have been marginalised;

Could the Beatles marginalise Ringo - easily, not even a debate
Could the Stones marginalise elements of their varying line ups - easily
Could Zepp marginalise elements of their line ups - seemingly so, but I'm not happy with it
Could The Who marginalise the elements of the band in its original format - no chance, wouldn't have work

There is no right or wrong in picking any of the above 4 bands, they are all outstanding in their own right and have all changed and influenced music for all eternity.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends Blueooners, hopefully no-one is suffering frostbite after todays game.............. :-)

* I have never actually bought one of Zeps albums, when I left home I ahem acquired all of my mothers versions of them (and then replenished them for her however many years later for Christmas).

What a wonderful son I am ;-)

Edit: For clarity, the song titles in bold should be all of the predominantly acoustic ones, for some reason it is not particularly clear on my laptop

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.