All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

just to say, I may rest this thread for a while - until posters nomination picks on the other thread are up - it's a tough ask for people to listen to 2 Albums a week properly and give a review/score.
I don't mind at all, even I'm struggling to really give the posters Album choice a fair crack whilst focusing on my new pick.
Will do this weeks review and then go from there.

just to say, I may rest this thread for a while - until posters nomination picks on the other thread are up - it's a tough ask for people to listen to 2 Albums a week properly and give a review/score.
I don't mind at all, even I'm struggling to really give the posters Album choice a fair crack whilst focusing on my new pick.
I don't find it a tough ask -- I'd like to do four a week! Granted it's harder for you as the leader :)

I don't think it's our responsibility to give records "a fair crack". A record either hits you on a gut level or it doesn't. Records that require three or four plays to "get" (I'm looking at you, Captain Beefheart) because they don't invite you in immediately annoy me. Some people look at such things as deep and complex; I look at things such as the fundamental inability to write a hook -- or to care about writing a hook -- as off-putting and distance-creating.

I play an album three or four (or a thousand) times because it rings my chimes, not because I "need to". You don't see a movie or a play, or read a book, three or four times in order to catch all the genius and nuance unless you enjoyed it the first go. Will something you enjoy get more rewarding on repeated plays? Sure, and that's great -- I've been listening to LZIII for the last few days but my mind hasn't changed. I still don't care for "Since" much, and I still love "Tangerine", even more now. In a few days I'll move on to something else. And so it goes.

If we were professional music critics, or studying music in school, then, sure -- that's part of the job. But for purposes of this, we should be focused on discovering new things that we enjoy right away.

Last edited:
Shame that. I find two albums just about right. I appreciate that you and others like to listen a good few times to mark an album but I'd rather listen to two albums twice a week each than once four or five times.

But I respect your wishes obviously.

Shame that. I find two albums just about right. I appreciate that you and others like to listen a good few times to mark an album but I'd rather listen to two albums twice a week each than once four or five times.

But I respect your wishes obviously.

I will be more than happy to carry on, equally I'm happy to put it on the side whilst we give posters nominations a good go.

just I've noticed on the top 1100 thread - some posters give scores straight away, skeptical they've really given it a listen and also we have less posters reviewing/scoring in general.

I will be more than happy to carry on, equally I'm happy to put it on the side whilst we give posters nominations a good go.

just I've noticed on the top 1100 thread - some posters give scores straight away, skeptical they've really given it a listen and also we have less posters reviewing/scoring in general.
A few people do, but not the core here, mate. I think the majority try to give a record a good solid listen. If you have no time to write something comprehensive, as periodically I don't, then just a quick score to give perspective is okay. Generally speaking, I think looking at the average scores they fall all about where I'd rank them with a few exceptions, so the odd score from someone just screwing around doesn't appear to be overly-influencing the rankings IMO. If you did a histogram of the rankings, I'd bet we have very few 1s and very few 10s, which tells me people are generally being nuanced in how they approach the records.

A few people do, but not the core here, mate. I think the majority try to give a record a good solid listen. If you have no time to write something comprehensive, as periodically I don't, then just a quick score to give perspective is okay. Generally speaking, I think looking at the average scores they fall all about where I'd rank them with a few exceptions, so the odd score from someone just screwing around doesn't appear to be overly-influencing the rankings IMO. If you did a histogram of the rankings, I'd bet we have very few 1s and very few 10s, which tells me people are generally being nuanced in how they approach the records.

ok fair doos- lets march on.

ok fair doos- lets march on.
I would say the only problem is that it is the top 1100 albums, it’s pretty hard to keep people’s interest up especially if a lot will be real duds and most of us will be dead before we get to the result.

It’s like doing a huge jigsaw knowing some of the pieces are missing, it takes a pretty dedicated person to not lose interest.

@BlueHammer85 , I do solemnly swear I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky that I did in fact listen to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida more than once before submitting a score............... ;-)

I would say the only problem is that it is the top 1100 albums, it’s pretty hard to keep people’s interest up especially if a lot will be real duds and most of us will be dead before we get to the result.

It’s like doing a huge jigsaw knowing some of the pieces are missing, it takes a pretty dedicated person to not lose interest.

One mans dud is another mans best album.
it’s good to have the variety, think it’s would be more boring just putting Prog rock albums every week. It works. Just worry 2 albums a week is a bit much for many.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.