Alzheimer’s

Ric

Administrator
My Dad is in the mid to later stages of this shitty disease. Am looking after him for a few hours each week at the moment to give my mum a bit of respite. Am struggling for ideas to entertain/occupy him though, and was just wondering if anyone in a similar position had any suggestions. Currently just sitting with him and watching old City games, which he seems to sort of enjoy (although not really sure he knows what is going on in the games) but feel like I could/should be doing a bit more to stimulate him. Any suggestions appreciated.

My wife used to buy a load of old films and sit and watch with her Dad. It's hard to sit for hours and carry a conversation.
Sorry to hear about your Dad Ric.

My Dad is in the mid to later stages of this shitty disease. Am looking after him for a few hours each week at the moment to give my mum a bit of respite. Am struggling for ideas to entertain/occupy him though, and was just wondering if anyone in a similar position had any suggestions. Currently just sitting with him and watching old City games, which he seems to sort of enjoy (although not really sure he knows what is going on in the games) but feel like I could/should be doing a bit more to stimulate him. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry to hear that Ric. It’s an awful disease, my wife’s grandad is in the early stages. No advice to offer other than to engage him on things he might find interesting or followed as a hobby etc.

Reactions: Ric
Not sure if this is helpful, but research and studies show that music helps stir memories as the areas of the brain that preserve musical memories are not as affected.

City songs, chants or just any of his favourites could be comforting. As I say, not sure if that's helpful to you, but I do wish you and your family all my condolences after having gone through it with my late aunt.

Reactions: Ric
My wife used to buy a load of old films and sit and watch with her Dad. It's hard to sit for hours and carry a conversation.
Thanks mate, appreciate it. To be honest, that’s one of the things I’m finding hardest. He’s my Dad who I obviously love unconditionally, but conversations are extremely hard because literally any question I ask him flummoxes him and becomes a bit awkward, even if it’s about something that happened earlier today. Does make me worry about how my Mum copes, as she has to deal with it alone almost 24/7, which must be taking its toll on her.

Is there any type of memory cafe near where you live where you could take your Dad. Museums tend to get funding for memory clubs. When I was working in the Healthcare Sector, the House of Memories were being funded to spread their approach from Merseyside to across the North.

On Monday lunchtime, I am going to support a mate who is in a band who are playing for a people with dementia but I’m afraid that’s in Headingley.

Not sure if this is helpful, but research and studies show that music helps stir memories as the areas of the brain that preserve musical memories are not as affected.

City songs, chants or just any of his favourites could be comforting. As I say, not sure if that's helpful to you, but I do wish you and your family all my condolences after having gone through it with my late aunt.

Thanks mate. He was a big Leonard Cohen fan (feels weird talking about your alive Dad in the past tense, but depressingly it somehow makes more sense that way) so am going to take him to see the new Nick Broomfield documentary this week, and hope it triggers some memories for him. Suspect he may be too far gone for that though, sadly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.