Alzheimer’s

Sorry to hear about your old man Ric. It's an unbelievably cruel disease/illness. My mum had it for her last 18-24 months. It's hard to be with someone you love, who doesn't recognise you any more. Good luck with what you're dealing with.

Obvious answer but the alzheimer's society website is a very useful tool for advice and support. Like others have said patience is a huge benefit. Some find old memories and things such as a life storybook a help and just remember that beneath it all the person still remains

Just put my Auntie in the ground last week. It was a sad day but the whole family are glad she isn’t suffering anymore. Terrible disease, robs the life out of a person.

One thing that was always good for her was music. Even when she didn’t know who we were, she remembered songs we’d put on for her which seemed to make her happy.

would echo what everyone else has said - its a bastard -just lost my dad about 4 weeks ago and whilst I had been expecting it its still a kick in the bollox

the one thing I would add is to try and make some time for yourself (not easy I know)

I have no idea what age you are mate but Im in my late 50's and what with seeing to my dad, working and trying to make some time for my own home life its truly exhausting

all I can say is that you're doing the right thing and try and cherish these times that you have now

All the best m8

Reactions: Ric
How’s your dad doing @Ric ? Any pearls of wisdom that you can share with others on here going through the same?

My father in law has declined dramatically ...the only positive of this is that he’s been reassessed and now qualifies for more support/help. My husband now stays over once a week and we have a rota to ensure someone is with them every day even if it’s just for a couple of hours for his mums sake....which is tough when we all work/have families of our own

How’s your dad doing @Ric ? Any pearls of wisdom that you can share with others on here going through the same?

My father in law has declined dramatically ...the only positive of this is that he’s been reassessed and now qualifies for more support/help. My husband now stays over once a week and we have a rota to ensure someone is with them every day even if it’s just for a couple of hours for his mums sake....which is tough when we all work/have families of our own

My Dad suffered from Mixed dementia for 9 years before he passed away.

To my shame, when he told me what he thought he`d seen and believed to be true I tried to fight it by telling him he was wrong.

Sometimes regretfully, I raised my voice and shouted at him in frustration. I soon realised that what I was doing was`nt helping but was in fact like bulling.

I found out it was better just to agree with them instead of upsetting yourself but especially the person suffering from this awful disease.

Music, and simple board games like snake's and ladders, card games.
Word quizes on a tablet, like here is seven letters see how many words you can make up with those letters.

My oldest brother is 16 years older than me and he has it.

Music, and simple board games like snake's and ladders, card games.
Word quizes on a tablet, like here is seven letters see how many words you can make up with those letters.

My oldest brother is 16 years older than me and he has it.

sorry to hear about your brother. Will give the board games a try ....although it feels like this could be beyond him. He couldn’t even put an X in the box when it came to voting

My Dad is in the mid to later stages of this shitty disease. Am looking after him for a few hours each week at the moment to give my mum a bit of respite. Am struggling for ideas to entertain/occupy him though, and was just wondering if anyone in a similar position had any suggestions. Currently just sitting with him and watching old City games, which he seems to sort of enjoy (although not really sure he knows what is going on in the games) but feel like I could/should be doing a bit more to stimulate him. Any suggestions appreciated.
You arw doung the right thing there, keep doing it. Go back to a time they do remember. Awful disease Im very sorry to hear this, got to be so difficult. Nursing homes play old muaic from back in their day as it comforts them as they are familiar with it. Maybe try old documentaries about events gone by for tv viewing.

He's doing OK, thanks for asking. Obviously his condition is deteriorating as it's a degenerative illness, but he seems relatively content in his own little world. He is still coming to City matches, although I'm not sure he really understands what is going on. It's really starting to take it's toll on my Mum though. It's incredibly difficult for the partner who is with them all the time.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, it's an awful illness. I don't really have any pearls of wisdom to pass on, other than to take any support/help that you qualify for just to help relieve the burden on your mother-in-law. As the poster above said, try doing things that are familiar to him, be it listening to old music, or watching old TV programs/films he used to enjoy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.