Amazon Alexa / Google Home

steviemc

Team supported
Manchester City
Ok...who thinks this is brilliant, or who see's it as dormant devices that can tell you the weather - a simple joke - or the height of Mount Everest?

I've used these devices for about 4 years now, and my take on them is - unless you really struggle to switch a light on, or are not willing to look outside to see the current weather, there really isn't a lot going on for them. I also don't think they have made a lot of progress over the last few years. Nothing more than what a quick Google search can do - and often far inferior than what any browser search can do.

The idea behind these devices (Amazon, Google etc.) is that to get good functionality you really need to buy into the whole complete experience - that means costly mood lighting, expensive boiler thermostat integration, perhaps video security and door hardware. Maybe you love having a shopping list and don't have time to jot something down? Maybe you love the idea that it can turn your Christmas lights on without bending down to press the switch on the socket? My conclusion is that to experience the full compliment of these systems you already need to have a lot of spare cash (probably an already fully integrated studio apartment or something similar). Without buying into the whole scheme I can see this gadget quickly becoming a gimmick. Sure, it can solve a quick argument about who was the on the English throne in 1875, however things like have only ever been a key press away on our PC's/Laptops/Phones for at least the last 12 years.

That's my take on it anyhow. I'm sure some may see this as the best purchase ever, and if that's the case I totally respect your comment/s.

14190232_f520.jpg

Ok...who thinks this is brilliant, or who see's it as dormant devices that can tell you the weather - a simple joke - or the height of Mount Everest?

I've used these devices for about 4 years now, and my take on them is - unless you really struggle to switch a light on, or are not willing to look outside to see the current weather, there really isn't a lot going on for them. I also don't think they have made a lot of progress over the last few years. Nothing more than what a quick Google search can do - and often far inferior than what any browser search can do.

The idea behind these devices (Amazon, Google etc.) is that to get good functionality you really need to buy into the whole complete experience - that means costly mood lighting, expensive boiler thermostat integration, perhaps video security and door hardware. Maybe you love having a shopping list and don't have time to jot something down? Maybe you love the idea that it can turn your Christmas lights on without bending down to press the switch on the socket? My conclusion is that to experience the full compliment of these systems you already need to have a lot of spare cash (probably an already fully integrated studio apartment or something similar). Without buying into the whole scheme I can see this gadget quickly becoming a gimmick. Sure, it can solve a quick argument about who was the on the English throne in 1875, however things like have only ever been a key press away on our PC's/Laptops/Phones for at least the last 12 years.

That's my take on it anyhow. I'm sure some may see this as the best purchase ever, and if that's the case I totally respect your comment/s.

I love them .... but as i am all things Apple use HomePods instead

Only ever used Alexa as part of my Sonos. Diabled its functionality when I found a transcript of everything I'd ever said to it (and some I hadn't) in my amazon account

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.