Amazon Alexa / Google Home

Only ever used Alexa as part of my Sonos. Diabled its functionality when I found a transcript of everything I'd ever said to it (and some I hadn't) in my amazon account
Bought a Sonos beam yesterday for my tv and that has Alexa built in. First piece of Sonos kit and first impressions are it’s a superb piece of kit.

We went with the Amazon Alexa system. There is a device in every room including the garden.
It started off just using it to stream music around the house/garden. Then we found it useful for shouting the kids down for their tea.
If used properly, it is very handy for any information. The wife uses it all the time to convert weights when cooking. She sets timers and alarms.
Reminders and shopping lists also appear on your phone.

I fitted Hive heating control not even realising Alexa could control it. I then upgraded the lights switches to Lightwave so i could control LED lights better.
I came across a Lightwave Hub, so decided to add that. That meant the Alexa could control the lights. It's great saying "Turn the Big light on"!
I already had a Harmony remote system for control my TV/AV gear, so added an Alexa skill to integrate that.
Lastly i added some smart cameras.

I thought that was it, and was quite happy. Then i had a few days off work and decided to see what else it could do.
I came across a feature called "Routines".
That was the game changer. I could now set timers and automations. My garden lights now have different timers and dusk til dawns functions. (for no extra cost)
On arriving home, i now just say "Alexa i'm home", and the house just comes alive. Lights turn on, the heating comes on, the TV turns on etc.
On leaving the house, i just say "Alexa i'm leaving", and all the lights turn off (including the kids bedroom lights that they always leave on), the heating turns off. Any devices like the TV also turn off.
It is actually saving me real money!

We went with the Amazon Alexa system. There is a device in every room including the garden.
It started off just using it to stream music around the house/garden. Then we found it useful for shouting the kids down for their tea.
If used properly, it is very handy for any information. The wife uses it all the time to convert weights when cooking. She sets timers and alarms.
Reminders and shopping lists also appear on your phone.

I fitted Hive heating control not even realising Alexa could control it. I then upgraded the lights switches to Lightwave so i could control LED lights better.
I came across a Lightwave Hub, so decided to add that. That meant the Alexa could control the lights. It's great saying "Turn the Big light on"!
I already had a Harmony remote system for control my TV/AV gear, so added an Alexa skill to integrate that.
Lastly i added some smart cameras.

I thought that was it, and was quite happy. Then i had a few days off work and decided to see what else it could do.
I came across a feature called "Routines".
That was the game changer. I could now set timers and automations. My garden lights now have different timers and dusk til dawns functions. (for no extra cost)
On arriving home, i now just say "Alexa i'm home", and the house just comes alive. Lights turn on, the heating comes on, the TV turns on etc.
On leaving the house, i just say "Alexa i'm leaving", and all the lights turn off (including the kids bedroom lights that they always leave on), the heating turns off. Any devices like the TV also turn off.
It is actually saving me real money!
Google Zagar and Evans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.