Amazon Buy 20 PL Games

I'm in the same boat. Most other matches bore me, or I've got something else to do.

Nah fair play,each to their own,especially if you have a young family and that,and lads get a pass for match day then back to family duty,I get that,I'm past that stage now,but in fairness I've always been the same.

I've always been of the opinion that English football is a great product,even as far down as League 2,and love watching it,get home from watching City to see say Spurs v Everton,I'll sit and watch the lot.much to the Mrs annoyance mind,hence to say I'm on Virgin Media at home so have both Sky and BT,then boxing if it's on after as well :)

Can't fault them really aside from way too much packaging,always polite and use my safe place and not the neighbours

Back passage? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, this is a way to test the waters I think for them without over committing.
Once 5g comes into play I think normal subscription TV will begin to die.
If sky haven't planned how to evolve then they could well end up going the way of blockbuster.
"I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords"
Sky's long term plan is to move away from satellite broadcasting to Broadband, Sky Italy and Austria operating that model already. It's been Sky's plan for a few years now, think it's slow UK broadband speeds that's held them back.

NBC in the States broadcast all games - one (sometimes 2) 3pm (UK) games on the TV and the rest were live streaming via their NBCSN website - this was ''free'' as long as you had NBC in your cable package. Last season however, after three seasons of it being ''free'', they charged $50 to be able to access those games being shown via live streaming. $50 isn't a lot (around 36 quid) for a season but it upset a lot of viewers who have to pay that on top of cable fees.
So while it may be free for now, you can bet once they have fans sucked in, the charges will follow.

Not exactly correct. Games online were split; those that were still free to watch as a result of your cable account and approx.. 3 games per team per season that were on NBC Gold at a cost of $50.

As a City fan you were guaranteed to see 16 games, mostly via cable, and would need to pay $50 to see the other 3 (which were low profile games).

If NBC do become more greedy then I think they’ll just adjust the 16/3 ratio and the importance of those 3 games, to make people buy the add-on package.

And don’r forget, if you watch teams other than City, you were actually getting +/- 60 games for that $50, as well as some other unique programming.

Not exactly correct. Games online were split; those that were still free to watch as a result of your cable account and approx.. 3 games per team per season that were on NBC Gold at a cost of $50.

As a City fan you were guaranteed to see 16 games, mostly via cable, and would need to pay $50 to see the other 3 (which were low profile games).

If NBC do become more greedy then I think they’ll just adjust the 16/3 ratio and the importance of those 3 games, to make people buy the add-on package.

And don’r forget, if you watch teams other than City, you were actually getting +/- 60 games for that $50, as well as some other unique programming.
That's exactly what I said! I just didn't make it clear, it was the games not being shown on TV that you couldn't access online unless you subscribed.

City's three games shown on Gold were against ''lesser'' sides (can't recall fully but I think Watford and Palace were two of them, maybe Burnley too) and I'd be surprised if they went down the route of making the bigger games online only. The drop in casual followers would be too great and that would affect advertising if viewing figures dropped alarmingly. I agree $50 is nothing, but not sure other than the die hards as to how many want to watch a game via their computer (even if like me connected up to my TV) on a regular basis.

That's exactly what I said! I just didn't make it clear, it was the games not being shown on TV that you couldn't access online unless you subscribed.

Hi Mate, sorry, but this is wrong. You could access SOME online content for FREE, without subscribing to NBC Gold. Only 2-3 games per round were on NBC Gold, the rest were either on TV (NBC Sports) or online (NBC Sports website). Not saying this to belittle your comment in any way, I just want to make sure everyone else knows they would only lose access to 2-3 games per round and 3 City games during the season if they didn't subscribe to NBC Gold.

Also, just an FYI, NBC Sports and NBC Gold could be accessed from their app on multiple platforms, iPhone/iPad, Android, FireTv, etc. not technically needing a PC. Again, just re-stating this in case it helps anyone else.

Hi Mate, sorry, but this is wrong. You could access SOME online content for FREE, without subscribing to NBC Gold. Only 2-3 games per round were on NBC Gold, the rest were either on TV (NBC Sports) or online (NBC Sports website). Not saying this to belittle your comment in any way, I just want to make sure everyone else knows they would only lose access to 2-3 games per round and 3 City games during the season if they didn't subscribe to NBC Gold.

Also, just an FYI, NBC Sports and NBC Gold could be accessed from their app on multiple platforms, iPhone/iPad, Android, FireTv, etc. not technically needing a PC. Again, just re-stating this in case it helps anyone else.
We are both right ;) And I do appreciate your detailed description / information.
You are correct in only 2-3 games were on gold. However, the reality of that, once the season kicked in, is there were on average 5 - 8 games on a Saturday - with 3-5 at 3pm together. So if two games were on TV (NBCSN and CNBC) then the remaining 1-3 games were on Gold.
Same the following day with the remaining 2 games that were not the televised Sunday games - all shown on Gold.

On the odd Saturday when 7 to 8 games were on a Saturday (usually prior to an International game or prior to the Europa league kicking in) then yes, a few games were online not via Gold - but that was infrequent in my experience.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.