Ambitions - dreams

law74

Having been off with work related stress - depression for 4 months last year I started going for walks to clear my mind, forest paths, coastal paths, canal towpaths and mountains etc, getting back to the outdoors got me thinking of my future.
my dream - intention is now to retire in 12 - 14 years, buy a campervan and spend 6 months touring the coast of GB, staying "off-site" about 5 night's a week, mainly on coastal headbands, then the following year to tour France, Spain and Portugal.
Has anyone done a similar trip or what's your dream - ambition that you are working towards?

The Mrs keeps telling me we'll do the same. Think we'd hire a campervan rather than buy as I reckon we'd get a good deal on a long term rental inc all insurances etc and we wouldn't have the mither of a) stumping up a small fortune and having it tied up in a depreciating campervan and b) selling it on afterwards, these things aint cheap. Plus we have 3 dogs and it doesn't look like we'd loosing any in the near future. Scotland, the southwest and then plod on over to Croatia via France and Italy.
I'd like to drive across Australia and NZ. I did a 3500 mile road trip around the southern States when I was 40 and it's the only way to really see the place.

I always wanted to sail in retirement.

Years ago I read a Clive Cussler book that featured a character who lived on a modified catamaran and just sailed around the Caribbean and Central American ports for his retirement and thought to myself that I'd probably fancy that. More realistically I'd like to buy a barge and fish up and down the canals.

Having been off with work related stress - depression for 4 months last year I started going for walks to clear my mind, forest paths, coastal paths, canal towpaths and mountains etc, getting back to the outdoors got me thinking of my future.
my dream - intention is now to retire in 12 - 14 years, buy a campervan and spend 6 months touring the coast of GB, staying "off-site" about 5 night's a week, mainly on coastal headbands, then the following year to tour France, Spain and Portugal.
Has anyone done a similar trip or what's your dream - ambition that you are working towards?
Went part-time two and a half years ago and now spend a lot of time walking the Pennines and following City in Europe, the two things I couldn't do before.
Pick up a humungous motorhome on Tuesday and going to just fuck off. Got a nice comfy bed, lounge and kitchen and added a solar panel for off grid camping. Bought two electric bikes and new walking boots. Looking to get some new ski boots this morning and then we're off.
Been downloading TV series that I've never had time to watch and a thousand books on my kindle.
See you sometime soon and some where warmer, or colder if I'm skiing.

I had a dream at 19 to work hard till 30 save a shit load of money and spend many years motorbiking it round the world.
Instead I moved away to work, travelled, got married, had kids and now have only modest savings at 41.

If we can save enough by age 45-50 gonna fuck off abroad.

My dream now is to see south america and africa as I have been round asia and europe.
If I could do it on a boat I would love to.

Went part-time two and a half years ago and now spend a lot of time walking the Pennines and following City in Europe, the two things I couldn't do before.
Pick up a humungous motorhome on Tuesday and going to just fuck off. Got a nice comfy bed, lounge and kitchen and added a solar panel for off grid camping. Bought two electric bikes and new walking boots. Looking to get some new ski boots this morning and then we're off.
Been downloading TV series that I've never had time to watch and a thousand books on my kindle.
See you sometime soon and some where warmer, or colder if I'm skiing.

Seems like heaven, I have seen some portable wind turbines being made for hikers, and think that with the speed of progress these will become better, lighter and cheaper in the next few years, which will also add to the off grid experience (especially in coastal areas), and the only real problem will be when the dirty water tank needs emptied lol).

Some other great ideas also on here, the canal boats seem idyllic and tranquil (apart from when there are a load of locks lol), a bloke I went to school with is currently on a motorbike travelling south along the coast of Africa & seems to be loving it.
Another mate has his own boat and him and his wife took early retirement and spend about 6 months a year sailing the seas (I think he has sailed the Mediterranean a couple of times and been down to South Africa for a bit), & have recently read about a couples experiences of cycling round the world.
I've only a few years left on the mortgage so a few years saving that money and whatever else I can put bye, add to my gratuity, and my pension should mean enough for a decent campervan (though not one of the brand new top of the range types sadly lol) & enough for a decent standard of living.
In the meantime, I will have to just keep working and spending weekends and days out walking in the hills, coasts and forests (with the West Highland way and or the C2C possibilities)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.