American spelling of English words.

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Have to say it annoys me :)

I just went on a cruise aboard an American ship called the Carnival Splendor (correct spelling is Splendour of course)..........but there it was in massive letters on the side of the massive ship.

At the end of the cruise we got instructions for 'Debarkation' instead of 'Disembarkation'

Does this shit every annoy anyone else or am I just turning into Victor fucking Meldrew ?

21-Pictures-of-the-Beautiful-Carnival-Splendor-Cruise-Ship-1.jpg

We gave them the bloody language, the least you'd expect is for them to have the decency to get it right. Anything with ' our ' at the end confuses the crap out of them but the pronunciation of bouy makes me laugh.

Dead right, at least the Aussies and Kiwi's dont fuck around with it.

We just invent new words like Garbo, Bottleo and Servo

Have to say it annoys me :)

I just went on a cruise aboard an American ship called the Carnival Splendor (correct spelling is Splendour of course)..........but there it was in massive letters on the side of the massive ship.

At the end of the cruise we got instructions for 'Debarkation' instead of 'Disembarkation'

Does this shit every annoy anyone else or am I just turning into Victor fucking Meldrew ?

21-Pictures-of-the-Beautiful-Carnival-Splendor-Cruise-Ship-1.jpg

I have to read letters from offshore everyday, they must be taught English by Americans. I have to change the date constantly along with center and centre.

Deer OP:

Goe phuck yurrself. :)

PS: We DO spell "nimrod" correctly. I am not sure if you are aware of the very, very AMERICAN appropriation of your username!

Wikipedia: "In modern American English, the term is often used sarcastically to mean a dimwitted or a stupid person, a usage first recorded in 1932 and popularized by the cartoon character Bugs Bunny, who sarcastically refers to the hunter Elmer Fudd as "nimrod", as an ironic connection between "mighty hunter" and "poor little Nimrod", i.e. Fudd."

PSS: Your tribe thinks vegemite is edible.

Last edited:
Early 20th century UK family records have Laborer as a career. Mind you, Boardwalk Empire wouldn’t seem quite as interesting if you substitute it with pavement

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.