Amish;a secret life

I live in Lancaster, PA aka "Amish Country" and have had some experiences with them and all I can say it that they're great people. A good example would be what happened when my wife's cousin died. He lived near an Amish farm and when we went to move some stuff out of his house the Amish man who lived there came over and worked with us for hours and this was after being up at the crack of dawn and working his dairy farm all day long w/o the use of electricity or gas engines.

Many of them have a pretty good sense of humor albeit a bit dry but once you get what they're joking about it's pretty cool. And they don't judge the "English" (that's what they call non-Amish Americans) for not living their lifestyle. They're also pacifists and amazing craftsmen, if you get something built by the Amish it will be amazing quality.

Another example of their charitable spirit is the Nickel Mines shooting where a gunman entered an Amish one-room school and opened fire killing five people and then himself. When the public's outpouring of charity came in the Amish said they would only accept it if the gunman's family got an equal share.

They're not perfect though, there was a group of them running drugs (I believe cocaine) years ago because they figured the police would never suspect them. And there was an offshoot sect with a crazy leader who had his sons attack and shave the beards off of other Amish who chose not to follow him.

buckshot said:
I live in Lancaster, PA aka "Amish Country" and have had some experiences with them and all I can say it that they're great people. A good example would be what happened when my wife's cousin died. He lived near an Amish farm and when we went to move some stuff out of his house the Amish man who lived there came over and worked with us for hours and this was after being up at the crack of dawn and working his dairy farm all day long w/o the use of electricity or gas engines.

Many of them have a pretty good sense of humor albeit a bit dry but once you get what they're joking about it's pretty cool. And they don't judge the "English" (that's what they call non-Amish Americans) for not living their lifestyle. They're also pacifists and amazing craftsmen, if you get something built by the Amish it will be amazing quality.

Another example of their charitable spirit is the Nickel Mines shooting where a gunman entered an Amish one-room school and opened fire killing five people and then himself. When the public's outpouring of charity came in the Amish said they would only accept it if the gunman's family got an equal share.

They're not perfect though, there was a group of them running drugs (I believe cocaine) years ago because they figured the police would never suspect them. And there was an offshoot sect with a crazy leader who had his sons attack and shave the beards off of other Amish who chose not to follow him.

Don't they also encourage their kids to go out and see the "real" world at a certain age and most of them think "fuck that" after doing it, and go back to their way of life?.

pominoz said:
buckshot said:

Don't they also encourage their kids to go out and see the "real" world at a certain age and most of them think "fuck that" after doing it, and go back to their way of life?.

Yeah, it's called rumspringa. I remember seeing young Amish kids hanging out in the mall when they had their time. I also remember seeing a pretty hot Amish girl sitting at a bar and slamming beers one night. The problem for them is that they only go to school through 8th grade I believe so they aren't exactly prepared for life with the English so they have to go back. I do have one friend who was raised Amish who left the church and started his own roofing company but he's the exception rather than the rule.

So there's a new show on TLC called Breaking Amish that stars a local girl named Kate. Apparently she wants to be a model and one of the promos showed her in a bikini and her body was smokin'.

amish6tvf-1-web.jpg

I watched one of the Amish documentaries and they interviewed an American Amish girl who'd never heard of JFK or 9/11.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.