An Audience with the Frozen Chicken Man

Scaring Europe to Death

Bumped into Neil Riley this morning, whilst queueing to vote at Whaley Bridge Unity Church.

If you’re not old enough to remember the brief Brian Horton period, Big Neil was the Ramada chef who gained his fifteen minutes of fame in 1994, for taking a frozen chicken into the Platt Lane on the day that City beat Tottenham 5-2, and swirling it around his head, everytime City scored.
After an altercation with the stewards, he was then banned from taking frozen chickens into Maine Road. However, Neil being Neil, a large rubber chicken appeared for the next home match.

Seems pretty tame now, but for a large period, it was all we had to laugh about.

Anyway, Neil has now fallen into the “It’s just not the same” crowd, and rarely attends home matches. However, he’s still as opinionated as ever, and remains a dyed in the wool blue

Yeah he had the rubber one at Southampton 3-3, a muted "chicken, there's only one chicken", and that was pretty much it. Block Y near the front.

Sat behind him in platt lane once,that particular game he had a stuffed pheasant on a wooden plinth to swing around

Sat in a box (someone else's!) right above him that day. Very amusing seeing him waving his chicken around!

I'm in work talking about t his guy now. I had to dig this thread out because people thought that I was making him up!

'Let's all do the chicken, let's all do the chicken!'

Seem to remember him waving a chicken above his head in the Platt Lane end when a Forest player with big hair came on as a sub - Jason Lee perhaps?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.