an I a racist?

sixlashes

listening to 5live this morning most of the callers where as they said "mixed race".saying how great it is that obamma got the u.s. presidency being a black man.now 1st of all I couldnt care less what colour he is, he could be a china man for me if he does a great job for america and the world I dont care what race of people he comes from,africa has ,as far as I am aware black presidents or rulers in all their countries so whats the big deal about a black person ruling america? Do you think I could go on the bbc and say gordon brown won the election and this is great for white people?.I think not ,what would have been history real history would have been a native american being voted president.

sixlashes said:
listening to 5live this morning most of the callers where as they said "mixed race".saying how great it is that obamma got the u.s. presidency being a black man.now 1st of all I couldnt care less what colour he is, he could be a china man for me if he does a great job for america and the world I dont care what race of people he comes from,africa has ,as far as I am aware black presidents or rulers in all their countries so whats the big deal about a black person ruling america? Do you think I could go on the bbc and say gordon brown won the election and this is great for white people?.I think not ,what would have been history real history would have been a native american being voted president.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that the US has an appalling history of slavery and racial segregation. If you'd seen some of the religious right talking about Obama, you'd realise they've still got a massive racism problem in some states.

sixlashes said:
Do you think I could go on the bbc and say gordon brown won the election and this is great for white people?

If Gordon Brown was the first white Prime Minister in our history, then yes you probably could.

sixlashes said:

No you're not a racist just ill educated LOL

Gordon Brown becoming Prime minister was a huge step forward for everyone who goes guhhhhhhhhrr at the end of every sentence.

As for Barack Obama, well I'm just glad a half white man won it, I now feel as a white man, I am now represented (apart from the fact that I'm not Ameri...fuck yeah...can).

brooklandsblue said:
More multiculturalism mayhem from the beeb!!

So you don't think it's a huge thing that after centuries of slavery, segregation, racist beatings and killings that the US has voted for a black man to be president then?

I understand what you have said elsewhere about a person's colour not being relevant, but in this case it definitely is.

sixlashes said:
Do you understand anything about the history of black people in the USA?

You may not care about the colour of his skin (and rightly so) but less than 50 years ago, black Americans were treated little better than black South Africans under apartheid. Here's a sample, involving the experiences of Rosa Parks.

In Montgomery, the first four rows of bus seats were reserved for white people. Buses had "colored" sections for black people—who made up more than 75% of the bus system's riders—generally in the rear of the bus. These sections were not fixed in size but were determined by the placement of a movable sign. Black people also could sit in the middle rows, until the white section was full. Then they had to move to seats in the rear, stand, or, if there was no room, leave the bus. Black people were not allowed to sit across the aisle from white people. The driver also could move the "colored" section sign, or remove it altogether. If white people were already sitting in the front, black people could board to pay the fare, but then had to disembark and reenter through the rear door. There were times when the bus departed before the black customers who had paid made it to the back entrance.

For years, the black community had complained that the situation was unfair, and Parks was no exception: "My resisting being mistreated on the bus did not begin with that particular arrest...I did a lot of walking in Montgomery." Parks had her first run-in on the public bus on a rainy day in 1943, when the bus driver, James F. Blake, demanded that she get off the bus and reenter through the back door. As she began to exit by the front door, she dropped her purse. Parks sat down for a moment in a seat for white passengers to pick up her purse. The bus driver was enraged and barely let her step off the bus before speeding off. Rosa walked more than five miles (8 km) home in the rain.

In December 1955, the same driver told Parks to vacate her seat when the white section was full and she refused. She was arrested and tried and this sparked the Civil Rights Movement. Black churches and the homes of prominent activists were firebombed.

Although not officially banned from voting, individual states could impose conditions that made it virtually impossible for black voters to register and therefore vote. This was only corrected in 1965. Schools, workplaces and public spaces were also segregated.

So that, my friend, is why today's news is so remarkable.

Prestwich_Blue said:
sixlashes said:
Do you understand anything about the history of black people in the USA?

You may not care about the colour of his skin (and rightly so) but less than 50 years ago, black Americans were treated little better than black South Africans under apartheid. Here's a sample, involving the experiences of Rosa Parks.

In Montgomery, the first four rows of bus seats were reserved for white people. Buses had "colored" sections for black people—who made up more than 75% of the bus system's riders—generally in the rear of the bus. These sections were not fixed in size but were determined by the placement of a movable sign. Black people also could sit in the middle rows, until the white section was full. Then they had to move to seats in the rear, stand, or, if there was no room, leave the bus. Black people were not allowed to sit across the aisle from white people. The driver also could move the "colored" section sign, or remove it altogether. If white people were already sitting in the front, black people could board to pay the fare, but then had to disembark and reenter through the rear door. There were times when the bus departed before the black customers who had paid made it to the back entrance.

For years, the black community had complained that the situation was unfair, and Parks was no exception: "My resisting being mistreated on the bus did not begin with that particular arrest...I did a lot of walking in Montgomery." Parks had her first run-in on the public bus on a rainy day in 1943, when the bus driver, James F. Blake, demanded that she get off the bus and reenter through the back door. As she began to exit by the front door, she dropped her purse. Parks sat down for a moment in a seat for white passengers to pick up her purse. The bus driver was enraged and barely let her step off the bus before speeding off. Rosa walked more than five miles (8 km) home in the rain.

In December 1955, the same driver told Parks to vacate her seat when the white section was full and she refused. She was arrested and tried and this sparked the Civil Rights Movement. Black churches and the homes of prominent activists were firebombed.

Although not officially banned from voting, individual states could impose conditions that made it virtually impossible for black voters to register and therefore vote. This was only corrected in 1965. Schools, workplaces and public spaces were also segregated.

So that, my friend, is why today's news is so remarkable.

hopefully this is the last time it will be commented on. I remember when the first black quaterback got to a superbowl playing for the Washington Redskins. it doesn't get commented on now. probably the next thing will be the first homosexual president

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.