Anelka

In 1975, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution that designated Zionism as "a form of racism and racial discrimination". The resolution was repealed in 1991 by replacing Resolution 3379 with United Nations General Assembly Resolution 46/86. Within the context of the Arab–Israeli conflict, Zionism is viewed by critics as a system that fosters apartheid and racism.

Quote from Wikepedia

Baddiel didn't stipulate which form of Zionism (Isn't it confusing) he was talking about and referring to, however I would concede that because he doesn't definitively mention Zionists right wing motives we can't really be sure what he intended.

But seeing as he's an intelligent man maybe his comment was designed to throw ambiguity into the mix.

dazdon said:
In 1975, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution that designated Zionism as "a form of racism and racial discrimination". The resolution was repealed in 1991 by replacing Resolution 3379 with United Nations General Assembly Resolution 46/86. Within the context of the Arab–Israeli conflict, Zionism is viewed by critics as a system that fosters apartheid and racism.

Quote from Wikepedia

Baddiel didn't stipulate which form of Zionism (Isn't it confusing) he was talking about and referring to, however I would concede that because he doesn't definitively mention Zionists right wing motives we can't really be sure what he intended.

But seeing as he's an intelligent man maybe his comment was designed to throw ambiguity into the mix.
Your quote is a little misleading. First of all Resolution 46/86 simply revokes Resolution 3379 and makes no mention of what Zionism is. The last sentence of your quote is just a statement by the author of the Wikipedia article.

I think it's clear what Baddiel meant. If he was talking about zionism in relation to Israel, surely the word Israel would have been mentioned. There are numerous sources on the web which describe what Dieudonne's interpretation of zionism is and it's obvious to me that is what Baddiel is referring to.

I don't think it is that clear.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm not a big fan of any radicals related to a cause that has a culture behind it and that dislike is extended to Zionists and of course to deluded "comedians" like Dieudonne.

What is really offensive is that if Israel and in particular the Zionist attitudes and aims are challenged the anti-semetic card gets trotted out as a silencing tactic.

dazdon said:
I don't think it is that clear.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm not a big fan of any radicals related to a cause that has a culture behind it and that dislike is extended to Zionists and of course to deluded "comedians" like Dieudonne.

What is really offensive is that if Israel and in particular the Zionist attitudes and aims are challenged the anti-semetic card gets trotted out as a silencing tactic.
If criticism of Israel or its policies is fair and reasoned, no right thinking person would accuse the critic of antisemitism. I would agree there is plenty of scope for fair and resaoned criticism, particularly with the current Israeli government. However there are plenty of occasions where criticism of Israel is irrational and unbalanced and in these cases it's not unreasonable to question the motives of the critic.

Can I suggest we stop the discussion about Israel as this thread is supposed to be about Anelka and his alleged antisemitic gesture.

Are all gestures in sport wrong?

Do we ban only those that we don't agree with, it is fine a sport saying that they don't want political gestures, but when it is seen all over the world, people wanting to make a statement will use the exposure anyway.

220px-1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute.jpg

robbie100-300x200.jpg

mikeegertonempics450-7910.jpg

aboutrika2-852.jpg

Mohamed Aboutrika caused controversy earlier this year when playing for Egypt against Sudan, lifting his shirt upon scoring to reveal the message, 'Sympathize with Gaza'. Reports in Saudi Arabia later suggested that Israel pressured Google to discard all the images from its system, claims subsequently denied by the web behemoths

Kaka and Piennar come close to blending politics and religion

kaka-280.jpg

pienaar630-7126.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2008/dec/03/1

If you want to apply the rules, do it properly and lets not get carried away with commemorations like the poppy thing that happened a while back, if politics is not for sport why are some gestures allowed and others not. All or nothing is the only appropriate measure, although if I wanted to make a gesture I would probably do it and accept the likelihood of a ban and/or fine coming my way. Anelka doesn't appear to be an anti-semite, Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, does, unlike David Baddiel, I can't call him an "enormous anti-semite" because I don't know enough about Dieudonne. You can't decide to silence somebody just because you don't agree with them, if they are inciting violence then yes, but it has to real not fabricated. Saying that politics should be kept outside of sport is fine but it has to be applied to all situations, there are no worthy exceptions, if that line is taken. What the french government is doing in censoring Dieudonne is quite frankly ridiculous and if anything could make things worse by providing the movement with more appeal and a victim status, and false legitimacy.

Let's have it right I would prefer all politics and fucking religion to never play a part a part in sport. Ever.

Poster above you show some duleded fuckwits showing love for a god that doesn't exist, scousers highlighting other scousers' problems and sportsmen kinda trying to help others in a shitty situation. What Anelka did through playing and scoring in the English Premier League granted his dickhead mate untold free publicity around the world. His fans do this salute in front of Anne Frank posters and Auschwitz for fucks sake..... the Nazis fucking ruined France for 5 years why on gods green earth would you salute them nasty bastards.

mcmanus said:
Let's have it right I would prefer all politics and fucking religion to never play a part a part in sport. Ever.

Poster above you show some duleded fuckwits showing love for a god that doesn't exist, scousers highlighting other scousers' problems and sportsmen kinda trying to help others in a shitty situation. What Anelka did through playing and scoring in the English Premier League granted his dickhead mate untold free publicity around the world. His fans do this salute in front of Anne Frank posters and Auschwitz for fucks sake..... the Nazis fucking ruined France for 5 years why on gods green earth would you salute them nasty bastards.

Perhaps they are amongst the vile scum that seem to quite like the Nazis and their ''Final Solution'' in particular

mcmanus said:

You haven't addressed any of my points Mcmanus, I know about the evils of the Nazis I was at Auschwitz on Monday, and nobody who hasn't gone through an experience like those that did, could comprehend the suffering, I know I certainly can't, the numbers just simply blow you away. But the quenelle's first use predates Dieudonne's involvement in anti-zionism or anti-semitism, the remarks about Patrick Cohen whether intended as a joke or not are disgusting and disgraceful. If Dieudonne's is guilty of incitement of violence and racial hatred then by all means ban him but you don't ban him and limit his freedom of expression unless he actually has done this. The use of the quenelle in front of holocaust memorial's is obviously inspired by antisemitism, but is Dieudonne driving this himself, is he encouraging it? Or are his supporters more radical than him? Anelka may have just seen it as a show of support to a friend to use a symbol that was invented by him. The quenelle's meaning is at best ambiguous, the anti-government sentiment elements are tied up with conspiracy theories of Jewish cabals etc but its meaning and use is not confined to antisemitism. I take issue with people calling it an inverted Nazi salute because no one has substantiated it, a peace sign is an inverted fuck off sign but nobody takes offence of that.

Another example of a gesture is one made by Ahmed Abdul Zaher in support of Mohammed Morsi, the deposed Islamist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24902054

Lets ban all gestures then, but lets not forget that sport doesn't always operate outside of politics, the Brazilian football clubs used it to combat their dictatorship, dictators have hijacked football as well. Should we have condemned the use of the black power salute?

I don't support Anelka or Dieudonne's cause, I don't support antisemitism either. I don't believe in zionism though because I don't believe in countries established on a religious or racially influenced constitution. I am just questioning the logic that we should silence people because we don't agree with them, banning antisemitic remarks (that do not incite violence) isn't the answer it will only inspire more hard done by racists.

Edit

You also ignored the overtly political gestures I included, the Black Power salute was also used by such organisations as the Black Panthers who were linked to violence and some people would even have labelled them terrorists rather than a civil rights movements. You may infer that Aboutrika supports Hamas in his support for Gaza, if you are so inclined. The honest answer is we don't know what Anelka intended by his gesture, did he mean show support for Dieudonne (the antisemite) or did he intend to show support for antisemitism? Only Anelka knows himself, of course he was aware of the connotations but you can give too much weight to that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.