Angelino - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensive fullbacks are about as likely to make their way into our matchday squad as a 6'4" target man who is terrible in small spaces but can shield the ball well.

Depends by what you're classifying as 'defensive'. Walker is a defensive fullback for me as his defending outweighs his attack IMO.

And honestly, we could've used a 6'4" lump with the amount of aerial crosses that were put in yesterday - dare say it would've ended up much more comfortable than a nervy 2-1.

Been a shrewd signing for the price we actually paid for him . I dont fancy him as our regular left back but as a back up he's more than adequate.

Depends by what you're classifying as 'defensive'. Walker is a defensive fullback for me as his defending outweighs his attack IMO.

And honestly, we could've used a 6'4" lump with the amount of aerial crosses that were put in yesterday - dare say it would've ended up much more comfortable than a nervy 2-1.

Putting some lump in the frontline means we'd have one less person in midfield for the buildup as well as there being an increased chance we'd get overrun on the counter. Even Sergio Aguero has to contribute outside of the box.

When those chances come and the ball breaks free in the area with three defenders in close proximity, the last person I want to see trying to wriggle into space is some big fucker with no balance and agility.

Over three years of playing some of the most beautiful football the league has seen, smashing just about every record, winning our first back to back titles and absolutely annihilating domestic competition and some people are still suggesting we switch to the same style of play that makes others so unexceptional.

And no, Walker isn't a defensive fullback.

Putting some lump in the frontline means we'd have one less person in midfield for the buildup as well as there being an increased chance we'd get overrun on the counter. Even Sergio Aguero has to contribute outside of the box.

When those chances come and the ball breaks free in the area with three defenders in close proximity, the last person I want to see trying to wriggle into space is some big fucker with no balance and agility.

Over three years of playing some of the most beautiful football the league has seen, smashing just about every record, winning our first back to back titles and absolutely annihilating domestic competition and some people are still suggesting we switch to the same style of play that makes others so unexceptional.

And no, Walker isn't a defensive fullback.

Nobody has said we should switch our style of play. I'm saying in those sort of situations, which we have found ourselves in many times under Pep, it would be useful to have a player who is great in the air. It makes no sense to keep putting the ball in the air with no one having a decent ability to get to it. I also use the world 'lump' lightly - he doesn't have to be that big. I'm still wanting the guy to be able to play well with the ball on the ground, the two aren't exactly mutually exclusive. A prime Negredo for example would be brilliant to have on the bench for us.

And yes, I do believe Walker is a defensive fullback in that he has become more defensive minded than he is attacking, certainly from at least his Spurs days. Last night aside, he doesn't usually contribute much in attack.

Nobody has said we should switch our style of play. I'm saying in those sort of situations, which we have found ourselves in many times under Pep, it would be useful to have a player who is great in the air. It makes no sense to keep putting the ball in the air with no one having a decent ability to get to it. I also use the world 'lump' lightly - he doesn't have to be that big. I'm still wanting the guy to be able to play well with the ball on the ground, the two aren't exactly mutually exclusive. A prime Negredo for example would be brilliant to have on the bench for us.

And yes, I do believe Walker is a defensive fullback in that he has become more defensive minded than he is attacking, certainly from at least his Spurs days. Last night aside, he doesn't usually contribute much in attack.

you don’t half post some bollox

He was literally in the Eredivise team of the season two years in a row. Once with NAC, who were shite so it was impressive he stood out, the second time with PSV. So no, he wasn't the 2nd best. Also the belittling of the Eredivise is pointless. There are flops from every league in the world. World class players have come from there too, and there's the fact that he played very well in the Champions league.

And that last sentence is just unquestionably not true is it? I get your point, vaguely, but it's also one of the most pointless terms in football in my opinion. It was one that was only ever used tongue in cheek, but people act as if its some kind of gospel. An Aguero stinker where he misses a few sitters (which happens every season because he's human) doesn't suddenly mean the world will ignore 14 years of being amazing does it? He clearly doesn't just become as good as his last game. No one does. They're as good as their last year or two of football. Not one 90 minutes. It's a very narrow way of viewing the game.

If you don't like Angelino as a player, fine, but don't use some mental gymnastics to try and justify it and denigrate his accomplishments and only look at one side of the picture. It's not fair on the lad. All evidence over the last couple of years suggests he's a very promising and talented footballer. A young one too who cares about the club a lot. I don't get the lack of support at all from some. It's weird IMO. We should be wanting this lad to succeed here, not looking for reasons why he isn't good enough so willingly. He cares about this club, he was really cheap and he's harming absolutely no one by being here.

Excellent post. I didn’t follow his fortunes in NL so, going on stuff written on here, expected him to be shite. Well, he’s been far from shite and is still only finding his feet. Fair fcuks to the lad, he’s now had two or three strong games and looks dangerous going forward.

He does very, very well on that cross for Walker, you know. Phil pushes his pass just little too hard and a little too wide. Angeliño's still got a lot of work to do to get it back at the angle he does get it at, and get the length on it that left Walker in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.