Angelino (on loan to Breda)

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Clercqs, 29 Dec 2017.

1. BigOscar

BigOscar

I'd have him over Delph and Zinchenko, all day. But if we sign another leftback then he's gone.

2. Jalfraag

Jalfraag

Delph has been the best leftback in the league this season.

3. City_Sean

City_Sean

He at least deserve a chance in pre season to show his worth. I'd have him potentially as back up to Mendy with Delph basically filling in as a utility player.

4. BigOscar

BigOscar

He's been generally very solid in a team that asks very little of him. He's done a great job filling in and hasn't let us down, but we've tailored our tactics to take into account his limitations. on the other side we expect Walker or Danilo to do all the defensive work Delph/Zinchenko have been doing, all the neat possession recycling, but then also offer a pretty constant threat on the overlap.

5. domalino

domalino

I don't agree that very little is asked of Delph, or that we've tailored our tactics to suit him.

Pep will always want his left back to be narrow when the winger is wide, and that's Sané's natural habitat. We saw Clichy, Kolarov and even Danilo and Laporte all take up similar inside positions.

Walker hasn't been a constant threat on the overlap either, his role has been more and more reserved as the season went on, to the point where he's pretty much part of a back 3 now.

6. BigOscar

BigOscar

We ask Delph to pretty much be a no risk, defence first fullback in a team that has less defending to do than any other team in the league. Then when we have the ball his job is to just stay in central midfield and recycle possession, very rarely attempting a pass of note or getting into the final third. That's probably the least expected of any fullback in the league. And if you don't think that's tailored to his limitations, just look what happens the second Mendy gets on the pitch. He's down the line, whipping in balls and being a threat.

We expect the same from Walker in the build up, but then when we get comfortable possession and move past the middle third we then expect him to kick on and get out wide or trying to drag defenders away. He's been in far more advanced positions than Delph all year, as we trust him to have the legs to get back and think he can provide a threat or make space for Sterling inside.

The tougher games where teams actually pressed us high up the pitch and attacked us a bit, Delph was very useful and did a great job helping us transition out of defence and wrestle control of midfield, but the vast majority of games, where teams just let us have the ball, Delph became pretty pointless.

Can't wait for next season with a fully fit Mendy tbh, I think people are going to quickly realise how much better and more terrifying we are when we can attack from all areas.

7. domalino

domalino

Oh no, you can't believe that. You know that when Delph steps into midfield to help us keep up 70% possession, that is defending. Every time he helps us dominate midfield, that's defending - and it's stuff that Mendy won't be able to do nearly as well as a midfielder like Delph.

If you take the Paul Merson, defending is only defending when you've got 10 men in the box and put in tackles, then sure, we don't defend much and neither does Delph, if you actually acept that we defend with the ball, Delph is a key component of that.

He's also responsible for stopping all the counterattacks when we do get turn the ball over in the one sided games when we throw everyone forward.

And again, he doesn't overlap because it would be completely against Guardiola's instructions to overlap and take up Sané's space out wide where we want him taking on isolated defenders.

Edit - I'm looking forward to Mendy being fit, but he's going to reduce the amount of control and possession we have, and leave us more defensively open as well as make the attack more exciting, and I fully expect Pep to prefer Delph in some big games.

Last edited: 15 May 2018
  8. BJL_City

BJL_City

waiting for him to be sold to Ferencvaros for £10.50...

9. BigOscar

BigOscar

I think you are massively overestimating how hard most teams are trying to stop us dominating the ball. Delph being in midfield helps us in the games where teams genuinely try and stop us dominating midfield, but that's been the minority of games this year. Most of the time, in games like on Sunday, we don't need him in midfield to keep the ball. In those games, he is not contributing a whole lot at all, hence why he was the first subbed.

Against Napoli, he was perfect, that was exactly the game for him. But we only get a handful of those games a year, if that.

10. doobyedoobye

doobyedoobye

Sell with a buy back Txiki