Another Maine Road watering hole goes

uweuweuwe

From the M.E.N The Whitworth now turned into a cafe. Always had a drink in here when walking from town plus sneaky underage drink when I was at college.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...forms-former-pub-into-coffee-shop-in-rusholme

A chuch is hoping to ‘anchor’ its community – after transforming a pub into a coffee shop.

Vinelife Church Manchester bought The Whitworth off Oxford Road and turned it into the Anchor Coffee House. The venue still boasts the original bar and tiles from its former life as a city boozer.

The ailing pub was snapped up after the congregation raised £100,000 in three months.

Manager Catherine Pedley said: “The workmen who converted it said they used to drink here and were interested in what it has become.

“I think because of its prominent position, people have been happy for it to be made into something that they can use – we’ve still had a few people coming in thinking it’s a pub.”

The Anchor is a registered charity and doesn’t pay wages or take tips. Churchgoers helped with the rewiring, plumbing and decorating, and now staff it.

Catherine, 38, from Trafford, said: “We aren’t taking tips – any money given will go to charity.

“The church had a vision to set up an individual, urban coffee house available to everyone – but also a place that we can minister out of.

“I want the atmosphere to be an extension of the home where people feel peaceful and relaxed.

“And we’re going for excellent coffee – we want it to be known as a place of excellence.”

The premises also have space at the back to hold gigs, exhibitions and training courses.

Vinelife church, which has been based in Manchester since 1989, holds its services at Manchester Academy school.

The coffee house opened its doors earlier this month and is hosting an official launch event on Monday (January 14) from 2pm to 5pm.

Opening hours are 8am to 3pm, Monday to Saturday.

Upcoming events include an exhibition of landscape photography next month.

The Clarence has gone , The Whitworth has gone , so has the Parkside , and others will be under threat of closure too ....... the day the club left Moss Side was the day that these pubs knew their days were numbered ....... i called into the Hardys Well the other night , and there was only me and a washed up 'down and out' in there , i felt that sorry for him i bought him a drink !

black mamba said:
The Clarence has gone , The Whitworth has gone , so has the Parkside , and others will be under threat of closure too ....... the day the club left Moss Side was the day that these pubs knew their days were numbered ....... i called into the Hardys Well the other night , and there was only me and a washed up 'down and out' in there , i felt that sorry for him i bought him a drink !

I'm sure all the businesses around Maine Road have felt the pinch since we left.

I remember a great chippy just around the corner from the ground. We always went in there to grab something to eat on the way to the match. There were about five behind the counter, IIRC.

Vienna_70 said:
black mamba said:

I'm sure all the businesses around Maine Road have felt the pinch since we left.

I remember a great chippy just around the corner from the ground. We always went in there to grab something to eat on the way to the match. There were about five behind the counter, IIRC.
The Claremont? That was a great chippy! Their curry sauce is the best I've ever had.

black mamba said:

Thanks I'll have you know what I had on was 'vintage'

mancityvstoke said:
The Whitworth was also a huge student pub in the past.

They must have abandoned it.

they refurbed it about 3 years ago and prices for beer shot up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.