Another Maine Road watering hole goes

My uncle was born / brought up a stones throw from Maine Road and then in Wythenshawe. One game in the late 80's we were walking back to his car and he suggested a quick pint in the Robin Hood... I suggested not but he said it was a boozer of choice in his late teens. I reminded him he was in his 50's and times had changed..... He was adamant.... So in we go, don't think the place had any lights on... Pitch black and the waft of dope hitting us as the door opened. My uncle turned and said "I think are right" and we turned and closed the door.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Denmark yet.
I played for the Denmark circ 1986

Was the pitch at the side on Ducie?
I only played a couple of times end of season on Hough End, by their own admission they were crap, the lad who ran the team asked me to play and I agreed after having spent all day at match then all night with AT in the Denmark think I “signed on” about 3am inthe morning lol

Married a beautiful woman nearly 41 years ago from Rusholme, I used to go in the Osbourne, Gardeners and Working mens every Friday and Saturday night.
Now and again we would drift up to the Lord Lion and Sherwood, sometimes the Albert and on to Wilmslow Road. Happy days, very happy.
Not much left in the area now, one of her sisters was active in the complaints about tv reception on Horton Road, looking at the investment in City now, they must regret it.

Just as a foot note, the Rags still attack the Albert on derby days on a regular basis, there's nothing but local blues in, not a firm or anyone looking for trouble, but they still attack.
The young lady who told me said "we just lock ourselves in and wait for the bricks"

Used to go under aged drinking in the pubs round the ground back in the day. The Parkside was the nearest to me but it was a shithole even then. The pub of choice once I was legal was the Fallowfield. It was enormous and we made one of the rooms our own.Occasionally we’d go for a pint to the Sherwood. This was all 1967 - 1977.

Used to go under aged drinking in the pubs round the ground back in the day. The Parkside was the nearest to me but it was a shithole even then. The pub of choice once I was legal was the Fallowfield. It was enormous and we made one of the rooms our own.Occasionally we’d go for a pint to the Sherwood. This was all 1967 - 1977.
The Noonans took over the Fallowfield for its last couple of years before it shut

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.