Another Maine Road watering hole goes

The Guinness in the Ducie... it's been gentrified for years now, but what a pub it was.
Absolutely. Lots of memories of Big Paul Bevan and Micky O ,amongst overs,including the Dublin branch members when they came over.
Great Pub.Down to earth.i misss Maine road.
The walk (stagger) from the Ducie to the Abbey was legendary, and very messy .....i miss those days.not to mention last but not least..The Guiness.Wow.

My uncle was born / brought up a stones throw from Maine Road and then in Wythenshawe. One game in the late 80's we were walking back to his car and he suggested a quick pint in the Robin Hood... I suggested not but he said it was a boozer of choice in his late teens. I reminded him he was in his 50's and times had changed..... He was adamant.... So in we go, don't think the place had any lights on... Pitch black and the waft of dope hitting us as the door opened. My uncle turned and said "I think are right" and we turned and closed the door.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Denmark yet.
Your uncle is stuart goddard,and i claim my 5 pence.

Generally went in the Osborne opposite a bit down the road. The street would have crowds of fans outside both pubs having their pre match beers.
We used to do both straight after the match,sometimes the lion iirc on the corner of the same street,and then,much my favourite post match pub ,The sherwood.what a boozer.pre match was good,post match,whatever the score,was brilliant,it was just one of those places,the atmosphere was top notch. Then it was out the main entrance and a stagger to The Albert,another great boozer....where the oh-so-sweet scent of the curry mile would hit you .......Happy Daze.

Absolutely. Lots of memories of Big Paul Bevan and Micky O ,amongst overs,including the Dublin branch members when they came over.
Great Pub.Down to earth.i misss Maine road.
The walk (stagger) from the Ducie to the Abbey was legendary, and very messy .....i miss those days.not to mention last but not least..The Guiness.Wow.
Yep, so many memories. The tiny bar in the corner, four Guinness pumps, one bitter pump and lager came in a bottle. Khazi in the yard if you could get past the dog. Six or seven layers of Lino where it had all worn through in front of the dart board. I loved that pub.

Yep, so many memories. The tiny bar in the corner, four Guinness pumps, one bitter pump and lager came in a bottle. Khazi in the yard if you could get past the dog. Six or seven layers of Lino where it had all worn through in front of the dart board. I loved that pub.
not seen any mention of the big western. i lived on brentwood street and then alex rd itself. despite the head barman being an irish red it was a great pub.

On a more positive note the legendary Lower Turk's Head (a big pre and post match pub for Blues) has been saved after being bought by Joseph Holt's Brewery and will be open after lockdown. Also good news for boxing fans, other arena-users and Northern Soul fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.