Anti virus security.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RACHACE, 16 May 2018 at 1:03 PM.

1. RACHACE

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
    im being big mithered every time I turn on my laptop to renew my mcafe internet security. £75 for 2 years.

Does anyone have any advice on whether it’s actually needed and if so are there any cheaper or free alternatives.

I don’t really do that many purchases using my laptop but I don’t want it getting infected with malware.

2. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Comodo, Avast, AVG and Kaspersky all do perfectly good free antivirus programs, Avast particularly good against Malware. I've a deal with AVG for 2 laptops and 2 phones for €60 a year on pro as it gives me remote access to any devices if they're nicked.

3. 80s Shorts

80s Shorts

No need to pay for anti virus at all imo. I never have in the years ive had windows stuff. Bit Defender, Avast, Total AV all great free anti virus. Just make sure McAfee is fully uninstalled using their uninstall tool.

4. RabidCity

RabidCity

Bullguard UK - excellent stuff and you can get 37% off here - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/markasaurus/bullguard

5. Fred_Quimby

Fred_Quimby

Be aware that Kaspersky is Russian owned, need I say more.

6. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

Yes, please.

7. RACHACE

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
    Cheers for replies. I’ll check the free one from Avast out.

8. inbetween

inbetween

If you have Windows 10 you are probably okay without one, it comes with its own scanner. I find virus scanners slow things down and are pointless because they often can't remove viruses easily and they never prevent them anyway.

Just keeping things updated and avoiding dodgy sites and dodgy emails wll protect you from 99% of viruses.

Malware on the other hand is different and it is always worth having something - Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D and Hitman Pro have always done me well.

9. Homar

Homar

I find Windows Defender to be very inadequate. I have had multiple machines "protected" by Windows Defender succumb to viruses and malware. My preference is ESET Nod32, which is developed by a European company and seemingly the most efficient of all the software I have tried over the years. I would never trust Russian or United States based anti-virus developers.

10. BimboBob

BimboBob

Avast for free. Job done.