Antrim

As others have said can be a bit bleak if weather is against you

Dunluce Castle quite atmospheric - some fairly basic interactive stuff for kids videos etc

https://www.glenarmcastle.com/dunluce-castle - think Glenarm is more of an Estate check the link to see if it suits

Portrush is a seaside town in the Blackpool tradition although Barry's funfair might have something for the young'uns

http://www.barrysamusements.com/

Mussenden Temple is further along the coast - views are great

https://discovernorthernireland.com...-Downhill-Demesne-Castlerock-Coleraine-P2928/

My best mate lives in a small town on the Antrim coast called Whitehead, just north of Carrickfergus (which is just north of Belfast), and have visited loads of times, both alone and with the family.

Belfast Zoo is pretty good (in north Belfast). Carrickfergus Castle is fun if your kids are into castles, knights etc. Ballycastle is pretty and has a few nice bars and restaurants. The Glens are good for a walk, and there's a country park in one of them. The drive north along the coast from Larne is great. Giants Causeway, obviously. There's the Gobbins and Carrick-a-Rede? rope bridge. Not been up to Portrush and Port Stewart.

One time we drove over to Donegal and around the Inishowen peninsular and Malin Head etc, which was great and is probably the easiest and nearest bit of the Republic.

With a little help froM the comments above we are slowly coming up with a plan for our trip..

... next question...

Is there anywhere you would suggest heading to in the republic ? Sligo looks the most direct place ?

DONEGAL...DONEGAL...DONEGAL

My favourite place on the planet.

If you are in County Antrim...just go around the North Coast...through Derry/Londonderry and into Donegal....if only to visit Muff ;-)

Personally i love the southern part of Donegal...we take our old VW to Rossnowlagh for surfing...its beautiful...then you can head on to Sligo and Galway. The West cost of Ireland is amazing....good for the soul :-)

Rossnowlagh.jpg

Just in my hotel waiting to go for a meal in Antrim after 3 amazing days in Northern Ireland.

Done the Giants Causeway and Portstewart first day which was breathtaking.

Belfast, the titanic museum and Crumlin Gaol yesterday and even popped over to the shankill and falls road to see the murals etc. Everything very interesting.

Today was Derry. Utterly amazing history.

Loved every second of it and the people have been brilliant.

Just in my hotel waiting to go for a meal in Antrim after 3 amazing days in Northern Ireland.

Done the Giants Causeway and Portstewart first day which was breathtaking.

Belfast, the titanic museum and Crumlin Gaol yesterday and even popped over to the shankill and falls road to see the murals etc. Everything very interesting.

Today was Derry. Utterly amazing history.

Loved every second of it and the people have been brilliant.
hoping to go in the spring. can't wait.

My vote goes to Donegal.
Most northern part of Ireland despite being part of Southern Ireland. So much natural beauty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.