Any Gardeners?

Think I am going to get mine done in stages for financial reasons.

First job is trimming back overgrown trees.

Got 4 conifers which have grown to the height of my house. Want them cut to about 10-12 foot. Any idea of how much this would cost?

I know this is a bit of how long is a piece of string and there would be variables, but a rough idea would be good.

What do I do about all these fucking dandelions on my lawn? Twatting thing is covered in them. I go out and pull the fuckers up and another ten sprout up overnight.[/quote]

Dandelions are a sign of compaction, as with most things there is a cultural reason as to why they survive and are not being competitively excluded by the grass. Control wise I'd wouldn't personally say weed killers are never the answer spot treatment of individual weeds is probably best. It always slightly confounds me when folks get uptight about selective herbicides on lawns. For two reasons; 1 the very same people almost certainly spray all manner of chemicals, potions and air freshners all around their kitchens, toilets and houses in the name of cleaning 2. It's not the 1960's, modern herbicides are much more refined with the active ingredients essentially acting as plant hormones encouraging the top leafy growth to over grow at a rate the roots can't cope with thus messing up the equilibrium between the two which results I. The plant dying due to an imbalance of water and nutrient transporation.

If you really can't face spot treatment then you can buy lawn weeding trowels which will allow you to dig out the root easily although as Johnny stated even a little bit of tap root remaining will grow back.

Fundamentally the golden rule for a good lawn is simple,

Cut it little and often

117 M34 said:
Think I am going to get mine done in stages for financial reasons.

First job is trimming back overgrown trees.

Got 4 conifers which have grown to the height of my house. Want them cut to about 10-12 foot. Any idea of how much this would cost?

I know this is a bit of how long is a piece of string and there would be variables, but a rough idea would be good.

It's a little while since I've hired one as we have in-house guys but off the top of me head an arborist will be in the region of £400-£500 per day.

Obviously I've not seen them in context but if it was me personally I'd probably sack the conifers off completely and screen with shrubs or either a good mixed native hedge For something a bit more formal then beech or hornbeam

Fair point about the household chemicals, they do damage too. But what I'm trying to advise away from is the 'go-to' attitude towards the off the self crap. A few dandelions won't hurt your lawn, unless you're practising your putting.

johnny on the spot said:
^ That's if an arborist is needed. Depends totally on the size and scale of the job.

Well if they are the size of the house then sensibly professional reduction would be the safest option not to mention for ease of chipping of the arisings, of course as he says it would depend on variables such as how many trees their are for instance or what they are located near to etc.

Certainly anyone he's employing to work with a chain saw should be providing evidence of CS30 & 31 as a minimum

Thanks,

I've got 2 people coming to price up tomorrow.

I wasn't expecting 400-500 to be honest and if it is that expensive then they won't be getting done.

Can I not just get some random guy with a chainsaw and a van then?

If you're laying turf the golden rule is, keep it very very very well watered, preferably first thing in the morning and in the evening, doing it at these times are when temps are low, so the soil retains the moisture and will not evaporate. Never ever ever water in the middle of the day. If the new turf isn't regularly watered, then it may end up shrinking and then it will be bollocksed. Make sure that there are no air pockets between the turf and soil, as the roots need soil to grow in.

You're best bet is a local turf supplier, because the stuff from b&q etc, can be shit and you don't know how long its been stood for.

mscenterh750 said:
If you're laying turf the golden rule is, keep it very very very well watered, preferably first thing in the morning and in the evening, doing it at these times are when temps are low, so the soil retains the moisture and will not evaporate. Never ever ever water in the middle of the day. If the new turf isn't regularly watered, then it may end up shrinking and then it will be bollocksed. Make sure that there are no air pockets between the turf and soil, as the roots need soil to grow in.

You're best bet is a local turf supplier, because the stuff from b&q etc, can be shit and you don't know how long its been stood for.
I'm laying another lawn today,got quiet a bit of land so this is the third lawn I will of installed in the last 18 months in dif areas of the garden
With the first area I never used any fertiliser in the soil and it took just over twice longer to knit together than the second one I put in,and it never rained from the first day I layed it so it was getting a good watering morning & night,they both look great now

I must of read at least 10 different ways & tips on how to lay the lawn and they all differed to each other,fairly easy to lay tbh.

117 M34 said:
Thanks,

I've got 2 people coming to price up tomorrow.

I wasn't expecting 400-500 to be honest and if it is that expensive then they won't be getting done.

Can I not just get some random guy with a chainsaw and a van then?

That's pro arborist prices, you can get some bloke of course and as said it a depends on the situation and where they are I.e close or far away from stuff you don't want damaged should a lump if tree fall on it. Either way id be checking they have the basic quals to use the saw and cut down small trees

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.