Any John Mayall fans ?

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
I remember being about 16, a mate of mine new another guy who was a guitarist in a band, one day he took me around to meet this guy called Brian.
I was pretty impressed meeting him, Id never met anybody who was in an actual band before, I think he was the lead guitarist from memory.
A couple of years older than me and he seemed way cool to me.
Anyway we were sat in his bedroom the three of us and he got out this album and put it on his record player, the album was Bare wires by John Mayall. I'd never heard of John mayall before but when the harmonium started playing and John started singing about his life something clicked within me and I knew that this was one of those moments I would remember my whole life for some reason.
I remember looking at the cover of Bare wires I'm thinking John Mayall was quite a scary looking dude with his strange clothes and beard.
That day we listened to the album all the way through and I was quite mesmerized by 2 things, one was the guitar playing of Mick Taylor, it just seem to be sublime, it had an attack and tone Id never heard before, up to then ID liked The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and The Kinks. The other thing that stood out for me was the drums, I didn't know it was Jon Hiseman ID never heard of him but I could tell that he was playing in a more jazzy style and he was very, very proficient.
I loved the way the drums are played on those tracks, Bare wires for me is my favourite John mayall album because of that day probably and because the musicianship is top-notch everybody is brilliant on it.
Looking back a long long time ago to that day, it seems like a dream now, I'm quite old but I can still evoke that day in my memory and my emotions when I play Bare wires.

I remember being about 16, a mate of mine new another guy who was a guitarist in a band, one day he took me around to meet this guy called Brian.
I was pretty impressed meeting him, Id never met anybody who was in an actual band before, I think he was the lead guitarist from memory.
A couple of years older than me and he seemed way cool to me.
Anyway we were sat in his bedroom the three of us and he got out this album and put it on his record player, the album was Bare wires by John Mayall. I'd never heard of John mayall before but when the harmonium started playing and John started singing about his life something clicked within me and I knew that this was one of those moments I would remember my whole life for some reason.
I remember looking at the cover of Bare wires I'm thinking John Mayall was quite a scary looking dude with his strange clothes and beard.
That day we listened to the album all the way through and I was quite mesmerized by 2 things, one was the guitar playing of Mick Taylor, it just seem to be sublime, it had an attack and tone Id never heard before, up to then ID liked The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and The Kinks. The other thing that stood out for me was the drums, I didn't know it was Jon Hiseman ID never heard of him but I could tell that he was playing in a more jazzy style and he was very, very proficient.
I loved the way the drums are played on those tracks, Bare wires for me is my favourite John mayall album because of that day probably and because the musicianship is top-notch everybody is brilliant on it.
Looking back a long long time ago to that day, it seems like a dream now, I'm quite old but I can still evoke that day in my memory and my emotions when I play Bare wires.
John Mayall is the great unsung hero of British contemporary music.
The legendary Bluesbreakers was the training ground for many fine musicians: Clapton, Green, Adrian Dunbar, Mick Fleetwood, Jimmy Page, John McVie and many more.
The band used to spend time in the US each year and made many albums there for Chess. He is well respected over there.
I saw the band many times in the late 60s and early 70s and they were always spot on.
Mayall himself was highly versatile singing and playing many instruments. In truth he was not the best musician in the band but always deferred to the stars in his line up. His strength was as a band leader.
Over the years, Mayall changed the line up and style many times, never standing still. He has issued more than 100 albums to date: Studio, Live and Compilations.
Was still playing well into his 70s, but I'm not sure if he still is, or is even alive! I'll google it and update.
He should be Lord Mayall now.
Edit Yup, still going!

Last edited:
John Mayall is the great unsung hero of British contemporary music.
The legendary Bluesbreakers was the training ground for many fine musicians: Clapton, Green, Adrian Dunbar, Mick Fleetwood, Jimmy Page, John McVie and many more.
The band used to spend time in the US each year and made many albums there for Chess. He is well respected over there.
I saw the band many times in the late 60s and early 70s and they were always spot on.
Mayall himself was highly versatile singing and playing many instruments. In truth he was not the best musician in the band but always deferred to the stars in his line up. His strength was as a band leader.
Over the years, Mayall changed the line up and style many times, never standing still. He has issued more than 100 albums to date: Studio, Live and Compilations.
Was still playing well into his 70s, but I'm not sure if he still is, or is even alive! I'll google it and update.
He should be Lord Mayall now.
Edit Yup, still going!
As elder blues statesman go...i prefer Alexis Korner....nothing against JM..after all he's a local boy...with a great ear for picking players. I just didn't like his singing. A documentary...quite recent ..exists on you tube.

Wouldn't class myself as a fan, though I did go and see him once at the Free Trade Hall mid 70's (?) Clearly a very talented player and all round musician, who certainly never received the recognition and fame outside his sphere, that many of his contemporaries did.

A Macc lad isn't he?

In 2006 I treated my son to a John Mayall gig at Buxton opera house.
Chicken Shack opened. They played an impressive tight set.
But after the interval as soon as the first bars of Mayall’s band were heard you knew you were in the presence of master musicians.
Mayall was 72 at the time. Guesting that night for him was ex Stone Mick Taylor who as usual had no idea where he was!
After the gig he signed CDs and chatted away to his fans for ages.
He’s still going strong and touring at 84!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.